C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the pros and cons of 50/50 meth vs straight methanol kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the pros and cons of 50/50 meth vs straight methanol kits?

Hey guys, I've got an '04 Z06 with an A&A kit with a Vortech V3 head unit according to the previous owners dyno numbers it makes 540 rwhp. with the stock ls6. It has all the basics, headers, exhaust, clutch etc.. I'm looking too put a meth kit on it and have it retuned.

I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on the subject of the advantages and disadvantages of running either setup, power and otherwise. I know straight methanol it's corrosive as hell. So what do you guys do, flush the system ever so frequently?

Thanks for any help, Jim
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted355
Hey guys, I've got an '04 Z06 with an A&A kit with a Vortech V3 head unit according to the previous owners dyno numbers it makes 540 rwhp. with the stock ls6. It has all the basics, headers, exhaust, clutch etc.. I'm looking too put a meth kit on it and have it retuned.

I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on the subject of the advantages and disadvantages of running either setup, power and otherwise. I know straight methanol it's corrosive as hell. So what do you guys do, flush the system ever so frequently?

Thanks for any help, Jim

Alky Control with Pure VP M5 Methanol, cools air charge and increases octane to prevent detonation or increase power. Use it as a saftey or use it to make more power. Quite a few of us run seriously meth dependent tunes.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only advice I can give is that the only kit which is rated for 100% is the alkycontrol kit. If you run any other kit, I would only run 50/50 meth/water.

I don't know the advantage of using 100% meth over 50/50, but I plan on doing 50/50 on my car. Water injection in and of itself is beneficial to high power engines, so I personally didn't care to spend the extra money on doing 100% meth.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

It all depends on how much power you want to make and what kind of fuel you have available.

For me, there was a point when I noticed that I needed the octane from the methanol more than I needed the cooling. Water doesn't burn, therefore it's octane is infinite. This is great until you reach the point that you need additional high octane fuel. On my setup, it was somewhere around the 650 rwhp level. At that point, I went to 100% methanol and was able to step up to 700, 750, and then 800 rwhp.

As far as meth being corrosive, I haven't noticed any ill effects and I've been using 100% for atleast 2 years. I've never flushed the system. When I had the intake off this last time, the ports in the heads and the valves looked new and this is an engine with 85,000 miles on it.

The other minor pro when transitioning to 100% is that you no longer have to deal with mixing and can just dump it straight into the meth tank.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

There is no cons to running pure methanol. It's how may of us reach 1000+whp using pump gas. Think of it like nitrous oxide in a way. Car runs and drives under normal conditions on pump gas, when you get into the throttle hard it sprays into the intake cooling your charge temps and increasing your octane level to the point that you can get away with running big boost.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Thanks for the replies guys! My interest in it is definitely for the power gains. What we have up here is 92 octane 10% oxygenated fuel.

What kind of power gains do you think are possible on something like my setup with 50/50 vs 100%?

Maybe the parts in the kit aren't susceptible to the methanol. I just know on my buddy's blown methanol pro mod that they pump transmission fluid through the whole fuel system to keep three methanol from eating up the aluminum fittings etc..
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
There is no cons to running pure methanol. It's how may of us reach 1000+whp using pump gas. Think of it like nitrous oxide in a way. Car runs and drives under normal conditions on pump gas, when you get into the throttle hard it sprays into the intake cooling your charge temps and increasing your octane level to the point that you can get away with running big boost.
To the OP put it on the car as a safe add on, not a hp gain.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
The only advice I can give is that the only kit which is rated for 100% is the alkycontrol kit. If you run any other kit, I would only run 50/50 meth/water.
I really wish that people would stop swinging so much from the alky control nut sack.

As far as I know, every kit out there (with the possible exception of AEM) is 100% meth compatible. 50/50 is recommended by most manufactures because its safer as a CYA mechanism
The following users liked this post:
rajahhindi (11-12-2019)
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
I really wish that people would stop swinging so much from the alky control nut sack.

As far as I know, every kit out there (with the possible exception of AEM) is 100% meth compatible. 50/50 is recommended by most manufactures because its safer as a CYA mechanism
Run 100% meth i just recently went on a 3gal meth wot 100 mile run. It was a 100 mile round trip so i burned through 3gals of meth with many 2-5gear pulls untell i ran out off meth. 100% meth dependent tune and ran out of meth at wot three times without hurting my engine. I tuned it myself to pull timing when IAT's go pass 125. Since i'm pushing low 30psi boost my f2 generates mass heat without my duel 15gpm nozzles. So if you or your tuner knows what there doing with the tune you will be ok. This was a few week back and went through about 2gals more since then , been taking it easy since i'm down to 7ribs left on my once was a 8rib belt. Just top off washer tank ready for the next outing. Go for the hp gain you won't be sorry.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for any help, Jim
Is that a V3Si or T-Trim?

I had a V3Si on 11.3 PSI with 50/50 meth and was around 650. This was with a 3.4 pulley. Either way, you can't go wrong. 100% meth will definitely get you more power.

That is what I am running now with my YSI.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Water is cheaper, safer, it cools the chamber better and offers better detonation suppression.

The only real negative to water...is obviously that you're adding water to a fire so there will come a point when too much will cost you power. That's why you add methanol.

For such a basic and relatively mild build like yours, I really dont see any point or benefit to running 100% methanol.
I do 60/40 M/W on mine and inject lots and make about 24/25psi at the top end. 2 nozzles pre TB and one pre SC. I probably inject far too much, but it's very safe and chamber and EGT temps are always well under control even on mile runs on pump fuel. 382, YSi etc etc

Perhaps the more fluid you inject, the more importance there is on using less water overall. With methanol, you could use as much as you wanted really...but then, why not just run the engine on methanol ?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Run a single M15 nozzle with the Alky Control Kit and 100% meth at your power level. You can tune in to it and still be relatively safe. Just keep your eye on the meth light and your gauges. You will probably pick up around 40hp.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Boosted355 from Kent, WA. You're practically down the road from me.

On my stock motor, I went from 560rwhp on 9psi, to 650rwhp on 11psi & meth. Alkycontrol with 100% "M1". Love it!

Maybe I'm closed minded, but I wouldn't put water in my gas tank and don't want water in my meth. That's the go juice!

I datalog the IAT at the track and they really drop when the meth hits. IAT's stay near ambient. Without meth I saw 130+ degrees. On back to back runs you can run into high IAT timing pull, which cuts power and slows you down. I don't know if you're going to race it, but with meth spraying the IAT you can hot lap if necessary and hold your dial-ins better.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y2KRoadster
Is that a V3Si or T-Trim?

I had a V3Si on 11.3 PSI with 50/50 meth and was around 650. This was with a 3.4 pulley. Either way, you can't go wrong. 100% meth will definitely get you more power.

That is what I am running now with my YSI.
Y2K, it's a V3Si with a 3.8 pulley. The boost gauge shows that it's peaking around 12 psi.. I don't know if that's where it should be for this setup or if the boost gauge is possibly reading incorrectly. I was pretty sure that it was supposedly a 10 psi setup.

At what power level does the factory longblock become suspect?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Boosted355
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Hey Boosted355 from Kent, WA. You're practically down the road from me.

On my stock motor, I went from 560rwhp on 9psi, to 650rwhp on 11psi & meth. Alkycontrol with 100% "M1". Love it!

Maybe I'm closed minded, but I wouldn't put water in my gas tank and don't want water in my meth. That's the go juice!

I datalog the IAT at the track and they really drop when the meth hits. IAT's stay near ambient. Without meth I saw 130+ degrees. On back to back runs you can run into high IAT timing pull, which cuts power and slows you down. I don't know if you're going to race it, but with meth spraying the IAT you can hot lap if necessary and hold your dial-ins better.
You'd know me if you saw me Chris. I had the twin turbo Chevelle that George did years ago and I have the white Camaro that George was building the system for a few years ago (pic in my avatar).

I never knew you ran meth on your setup but it's good to know and that's fine great info you're sharing there and I appreciate it.

When will you be out at Pacific again? Maybe I can pick your brain some out there?.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had similar questions and concerns and spoke at length with Julio [AlkyControl]
Ended up running 100%. Others have sucsess with various H20 %
One factor Im still not entirely comfortable is having 100% meth in a tank under the hood. Anything over 50% is flamable.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
I had similar questions and concerns and spoke at length with Julio [AlkyControl]
Ended up running 100%. Others have sucsess with various H20 %
One factor Im still not entirely comfortable is having 100% meth in a tank under the hood. Anything over 50% is flamable.
so is the gasoline in the plastic tanks right next to your exhaust pipes! I wouldn't be to concerned about the flammability...

Get notified of new replies

To What are the pros and cons of 50/50 meth vs straight methanol kits?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
so is the gasoline in the plastic tanks right next to your exhaust pipes! I wouldn't be to concerned about the flammability...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

i ran 50/50 in mine. Driving on the street you never know if you are going to be hit by another vehicle. It would be nasty to look out the windshield and see your hood starting to bubble. Not being able to see the fire, is not only bad for you, but people that may be involved in any rescue attempt of others involved in the accident!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Y2KRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Y2K, it's a V3Si with a 3.8 pulley. The boost gauge shows that it's peaking around 12 psi.. I don't know if that's where it should be for this setup or if the boost gauge is possibly reading incorrectly. I was pretty sure that it was supposedly a 10 psi setup.

At what power level does the factory longblock become suspect?
That might be right...I'd confirm with Andy or Doug though. I was a stock cube motor but with ported heads and a bigger cam so my boost won't show as high even though I'm making good power...more efficient if you will.

As far as the motor being suspect...that is all in the tune. Ask Milan about his setup. There are also many people on here that are north of 700RWHP on the stock bottom end. You just have to make sure that the tune is PERFECT!

Quick Reply: What are the pros and cons of 50/50 meth vs straight methanol kits?