C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Blue Jew Returns!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default The Blue Jew Returns!

The Blue Jew Returns!
(If you do not like my title feel free to exit my thread or get over it! )

The Blue Jew has been an ongoing project since 2006. The car belongs to a close friend of mine and it has been through many stages in its life and currently is moving onto is 4th engine. Bolt ons, Heads/cam, screw blower, and YSI Centri.

Last fall we saw its demise at Road America do to a broken exhaust valve. The damage was catastrophic taking out a piston of the forged 364ci mill. We chalked this up to the heat generated by road racing a 1000hp forced induction corvette on what is a very fast track. Those of you who do Mile or Half mile racing will understand what I mean. This track has a few straight sections that are 1/2 to better than 3/4 of a mile long. Imagine doing that nonstop for 30 mins, 3-4 times in a day. It will put your build to the test, that is for sure! That engine lasted two years, considering the pounding it took and the bottom dollar heads that were on it, I would consider it to be a success. We also drove this car to LS fest last year, 1200 miles round trip and snagged the 2nd place for the dyno shootout. She didn't perform great that day making just over 850whp in that nasty heat and humidity, but it was enough and made for a fun weekend. The tuning of the car was a combination effort of both our very own Bret (BlownblueZ06) and a local tuner Jesse Riggle of Late Model throttle. Because of both their efforts, the car ran great and performed great. I will be seeking there help once again once I get the new mill in the car.

Link to the engine destruction thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...7-carnage.html

I spent a few months talking about various engine combinations with the owner as well as our very own Arun and Bret and after much consideration we decided to do a 402ci LQ9 based engine for it. I have had great success with the LQ9 blocks in the past, so it was a easy decision to go that route. The engine build was farmed out to AES, after much research and talking with some of their customers that make big numbers, it was a no brainer. The service and communication received from the guys there has been nothing but top notch and I expect the engine to perform no different.

The Engine:

LQ9 Block - Honed to 4.005", Pinned, Studded, Girdled Main Caps
Calico coated Bearings
Callies 4.00" Dragonslayer Crank
Callies 6.125" Ultra I Beam Rods
Diamond -15cc Pistons
Arun Cam

LSA Head Castings Machined By Charlie @ RPM
Heads were assembled using Ferrea Hollow Stem Intakes and Ferrea Inconel / Super Alloy Exhaust Valves as well as a Brian Tooley spring kit by Arun.

Power adder remains a A&A 8 Rib YSI Setup with Direct Drive, 2.70" Blower pulley, 8" Crank Pulley, To be tuned on 93 and Meth Via a Dual nozzle AlkyControl Setup.

I drove down to RPM Transmissions this past weekend to pick up his transmission as we sent it down there to have them go through it as long as it was out and to me it felt like the input shaft had a little too much play in it. Come to find out, that play was normal but 2nd, 5th, and Reverse gears were shot and needed to be replaced! Keep in mind this was one of there Level V transmissions. Rodney was great, he opened up on a Saturday for us to pick it up and gave us the grand tour. Seriously nice guy, done quite a bit of business with him over the years but never met him in person. I could have spent all day there but after two hours of shooting the breeze it was time to get back on the road.

On the trip down we were supposed to stop at AES to pick up the engine, but it was not ready. Diamond was apparently holding everything up with the custom pistons we had ordered. I am hoping we can pick up the short block from them sometime this week as everything else is ready to go.

Photos, Details, and Results will be added as it goes together.

UPDATE: 6/19/2013

Engine has been in my possesion for about a month now. And is now assembled and in the car. We are just waiting for the clutch, injectors, new input shaft, and a few other small items to arrive before we get back to assembly. Big thanks as usual to Bret, Arun, and Doug over at ECS. Doug found me a stock alternator pulley this morning, ive been on a witch hunt for one for a couple weeks. Mantic twin is due to arrive today as well. If all goes as planned the car will be 98% assembled by the end of the week.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited by breecher_7; 06-19-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Native
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds nasty.

Side note, I'm from Milwaukee too. Maybe I'll see you around at some meet.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

What kind of oiling system and pan is he using?

ps(funny as hell title)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Smoove
What kind of oiling system and pan is he using?

ps(funny as hell title)

Stock pain in the *** "batwing" pan, Katech high volume pump, remote oil cooler. Simple, Cheap, Effective for what he does. He will never spend the coin on a dry sump setup, nor have we seen the need for it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Looking forward to the results. I used the identical engine internals except in an LS2 block, now a LS402.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting to hear about the results on how this car has done at Road America. I should be at about 700rwhp when I get my car back with a forged LS6 setup. I've been wondering how the car will handle the heat and stress of any road course, but mostly RA. We will be at RA on Friday for the weekend during an MFBA rental. I get my car back Friday, but I'm not running it that hard that soon. Next year!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Interesting to hear about the results on how this car has done at Road America. I should be at about 700rwhp when I get my car back with a forged LS6 setup. I've been wondering how the car will handle the heat and stress of any road course, but mostly RA. We will be at RA on Friday for the weekend during an MFBA rental. I get my car back Friday, but I'm not running it that hard that soon. Next year!
The car has always performed exceptionally well with the YSI on it, no heating issues at all. Aside from a good Dewitts radiator the cooling system is pretty much stock. Mechanical water pump and such. You just need a good oil cooler and you are set. Being heavily meth dependant really helps keep intake temps super cool as well. IAT's are usually below ambient temp. Never had a single issue aside from the broken valve.

Now when the car ran the screw blower it was a rolling donkey show on the track!! I had gone as far as a machining a custom lower intake, direct port meth, huge heat exchanger, and still could not keep IAT's in check. I know a lot of guys love there screw blowers but after spending two years TRYING to make one really work, NEVER again.... Hell even the factory ZR1 has heat issues in that enviornment.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"Blue Jew?" I thought Bret went by BLOWNBLUE....................
Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

Im looking forward to some media of this bad boy and seeing it in person this summer.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by breecher_7
The car has always performed exceptionally well with the YSI on it, no heating issues at all. Aside from a good Dewitts radiator the cooling system is pretty much stock. Mechanical water pump and such. You just need a good oil cooler and you are set. Being heavily meth dependant really helps keep intake temps super cool as well. IAT's are usually below ambient temp. Never had a single issue aside from the broken valve.

Now when the car ran the screw blower it was a rolling donkey show on the track!! I had gone as far as a machining a custom lower intake, direct port meth, huge heat exchanger, and still could not keep IAT's in check. I know a lot of guys love there screw blowers but after spending two years TRYING to make one really work, NEVER again.... Hell even the factory ZR1 has heat issues in that enviornment.
Interesting. Sounds like I may ok then with the little Vortech Si. I'll probably toss a Dewitt's on it next year along with an oil cooler just to be safe. Couldn't hurt. Besides that, just worried about reliability/longevity. I'll probably only do Road America once per year, but there are 1/2 Mile Events now also.

So what about the heads? Which heads were you using? I'm still on the stock ones and haven't read anything until now to consider using anything else. What are your thoughts on that?

Anyway, interested to see how this turns out. Good luck!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-01-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Stock pain in the *** "batwing" pan, Katech high volume pump, remote oil cooler. Simple, Cheap, Effective for what he does. He will never spend the coin on a dry sump setup, nor have we seen the need for it.

I hear ya, and I used to think the same way. Long pulls, are not good for the bat,unfortunately....is what I am recently finding out...based on what the engine builder for Mosler(TEC) is saying. If he really is road racing this thing like this....he needs a dry sump setup... via a modified LS7 style...or a high dollar aftermarket. I know if your turbo like myself, the bat is even worse.,.,.as I am taking oil out of the pan to feed the turbos... etc.

Anywho,..not to play dr.phil with your build...just saying, it would be ideal for dude.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

The car does see a lot of track time. The last two engines, when torn down showed no abnormal bearing wear whatsoever. So I have a hard time pushing him towards a dry sump when I see no visible reason for it.

Never lost pressure, never got hot, and zero strange bearing wear. Hell the bearings looked new when they came out of this one and it easily had 15k miles on it and a decent amount of track time.

Originally Posted by Smoove
I hear ya, and I used to think the same way. Long pulls, are not good for the bat,unfortunately....is what I am recently finding out...based on what the engine builder for Mosler(TEC) is saying. If he really is road racing this thing like this....he needs a dry sump setup... via a modified LS7 style...or a high dollar aftermarket. I know if your turbo like myself, the bat is even worse.,.,.as I am taking oil out of the pan to feed the turbos... etc.

Anywho,..not to play dr.phil with your build...just saying, it would be ideal for dude.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5

So what about the heads? Which heads were you using? I'm still on the stock ones and haven't read anything until now to consider using anything else. What are your thoughts on that?
The previous heads were Cheap *** stage III patriot 317s. They made plenty of power, over 900whp, but the crappy valves just couldn't take the heat. Nothing wrong with factory castings, just use good valves and springs.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

The previous heads were Cheap *** stage III patriot 317s. They made plenty of power, over 900whp, but the crappy valves just couldn't take the heat. Nothing wrong with factory castings, just use good valves and springs.
I see. I'm running Brian Tooley springs with the new motor. Then went with a new oil pump and hardened push rods. The valves and the rockers weren't replaced. Think that's something I should consider?

I'll shoot you a PM if I have any other questions to avoid clogging up your thread. Good luck with the car!!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Can't wait to see the finished product!!
You are tuning it......

I as well am excited to see how these lsa heads work out.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

No pics??? this thread is useless!!

Get notified of new replies

To The Blue Jew Returns!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I agree!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
They are telling me Doug, that is a sign of getting OLD wanting to just see pic,s.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by robert miller
They are telling me Doug, that is a sign of getting OLD wanting to just see pic,s.
Spelling and Grammar has apparently gone out the window with age as well!

Quick Reply: The Blue Jew Returns!