C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers

Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 AM
topdown01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Headers

Ok, So I am going under the assumption that most F/I guys have gone through with mods to the exhaust too...if this is not the appropriate place then I will move this thread.

I am going to install Kooks 1-7/8 headers along with a Supercharger and have some questions before I get started. I have read a lot of threads and there seems to be a mix of information so I thought I would ask a few questions here and get a general consensus.

1. When removing the stock manifolds, easiest method, do they pull up and out or down and out?
2. When installing the new headers, do the go in from the top or bottom.
3. Do you really have to lift the engine? If so, best method?
4. Should I purchase Remflex Gaskets, OEM Gaskets, or use what is provided from Kooks?
5. Same question for Bolts - aftermarket, OEM, or use what is provided?
6. Should I wrap? I opted to not get the coating, it was recommended to not get it at the time...should I be concerned about the heat?
7. I have read about A/C lines, Master Cylinder Lines, and O2 sensor lines as needing extra care and positioning...anything else?

Thanks everyone!

Kev
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Removing the stock manifolds is easy...installing the Kooks will be a huge PITA. Basically just plan on moving stuff until they fit. Plan on taking off your starter and disconnecting a motor mount
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default headers

Originally Posted by topdown01
Ok, So I am going under the assumption that most F/I guys have gone through with mods to the exhaust too...if this is not the appropriate place then I will move this thread.

I am going to install Kooks 1-7/8 headers along with a Supercharger and have some questions before I get started. I have read a lot of threads and there seems to be a mix of information so I thought I would ask a few questions here and get a general consensus.

1. When removing the stock manifolds, easiest method, do they pull up and out or down and out?
4. Should I purchase Remflex Gaskets, OEM Gaskets, or use what is provided from Kooks?
6. Should I wrap? I opted to not get the coating, it was recommended to not get it at the time...should I be concerned about the heat?
7. I have read about A/C lines, Master Cylinder Lines, and O2 sensor lines as needing extra care and positioning...anything else?

Thanks everyone!

Kev
A.R.H are easier to install and the workmanship is top notch.
Nick wont let you down
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
jeff keyuk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers on a C5 are easy to install?? or go to "How to install headers.com"step by step instructions.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
topdown01
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeff keyuk
Headers on a C5 are easy to install?? or go to "How to install headers.com"step by step instructions.
Thanks Jeff! That is a great ( and simple ) suggestion that I overlooked actually I feel kinda silly right now

: I am googling it now and see what comes up.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Arnie Chamberlain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by topdown01
I am going to install Kooks 1-7/8 headers along with a Supercharger and have some questions before I get started.

Kev
1. Mine came out through the top. X pipe removed, coil packs, valve covers/alternator,spark plugs, AIR system removed first.

2. I installed both Kooks 1 7/8" longtubes through the top. To install the headers I had to remove the starter, oil filter, oil temp sensor, water temp sensor, and dipstick.

3. I lifted my engine by loosening one motor mount and unbolting the other then jacking with a 2x4 on the oil pan. I had the intake manifold removed for other reasons so I could get the motor super high, 2"+. Made a ton of room.

4. I reused the OEM gaskets after I cleaned them with brake cleaner and a brass brush. I cut notches in the outer 2 bolt holes on each gasket so I could drop them in after the outer 2 bolts were started on each header.

5. I reused the OEM header bolts and pulled some bolts from the bolt bin for the headers to X-pipe connections. I started with a used set of headers so I got no hardware with them.

6. My headers are unwrapped and I dont see any downsides to this. They are stainless so they dont rust, plenty of clearance for all important parts so nothing gets burned. MSD plug wires look mint after a year of running.

7. I had to bend one passengers side A/C line so it sits right against the frame rail. I did this with a 2x4 between the line and the engine after removing the manifold and before installing the header. Nothing else had to be moved. Stock 02 sensor wiring is fine. I disconnected the frame-mounted plugs for the front 02s and ziptied them back further on the framerails.

Budget a whole weekend to do this.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM
topdown01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arnie Chamberlain
1. Mine came out through the top. X pipe removed, coil packs, valve covers/alternator,spark plugs, AIR system removed first.

2. I installed both Kooks 1 7/8" longtubes through the top. To install the headers I had to remove the starter, oil filter, oil temp sensor, water temp sensor, and dipstick.

3. I lifted my engine by loosening one motor mount and unbolting the other then jacking with a 2x4 on the oil pan. I had the intake manifold removed for other reasons so I could get the motor super high, 2"+. Made a ton of room.

4. I reused the OEM gaskets after I cleaned them with brake cleaner and a brass brush. I cut notches in the outer 2 bolt holes on each gasket so I could drop them in after the outer 2 bolts were started on each header.

5. I reused the OEM header bolts and pulled some bolts from the bolt bin for the headers to X-pipe connections. I started with a used set of headers so I got no hardware with them.

6. My headers are unwrapped and I dont see any downsides to this. They are stainless so they dont rust, plenty of clearance for all important parts so nothing gets burned. MSD plug wires look mint after a year of running.

7. I had to bend one passengers side A/C line so it sits right against the frame rail. I did this with a 2x4 between the line and the engine after removing the manifold and before installing the header. Nothing else had to be moved. Stock 02 sensor wiring is fine. I disconnected the frame-mounted plugs for the front 02s and ziptied them back further on the framerails.

Budget a whole weekend to do this.
Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for all this information!!

Get notified of new replies

To Headers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers