C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT vs SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bradenW
Someone is going to need a F3 to hang with my car.
Anything with a Army Green paint job-means MOVE THE **** OVER!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
bradenW
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Anything with a Army Green paint job-means MOVE THE **** OVER!!!!!!!
lol Marine Corps! What I was getting at is the turbo kit on my car could be removed and put in an otherwise stock C5 and turned down to be a nice little cruiser. Do that with ONE blower.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Doesn't count cause you were in Mexico.

Were's Algz06, Albert's car is sure to hurt some feelings-especially with his new shoes.
Originally Posted by user_name
In Mexico?
What's wrong with Mexico? Oh, wait you want us to come to Canada, eh?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
roadrage06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06-TT
^^^^ i agree with a lot of that. but can we look at number 9

i would like you to list those things with prices

ECS - $?????
Headers - $?????
Meth - $?????
Head - $?????

just saying that the ECS has a limit to power. to find a turbo kit that cost the pice of a supercharger and is limited to a Superchargers power isnt going to happen.

to get 700 out of a supercharger you need 12-15ish psi.
to get the same power out of a turbo you are in the 7-9 range.
True, by adding the above, I am close to the cost of a TT it. But all above factors are in unison. Discussing one without the others is like taking a quote out of context.

I can do most of the above before I even get a supercharger and don't have to take them off when I do so the cost is spread out. I'm impatient and like to have a project each year, which is why this route is more practical than saving twice as long for a TT kit.

Also, if I were to go to 700hp, both the TT kit and Supercharger kit would need some other parts replaced adding money to BOTH bottom lines -- meaning, again, the supercharger would still either break even or be cheaper than the TT kit.

Then again, if I found myself financially able to upgrade to more than a stock block, I think I would be shooting for far more than 700 and the price difference by that point would be negligible, ie - when you spend 10 dollars, a difference of 5 bucks is great. But when you're spending 10,000, even 3,000 is marginal, especially if there's financing involved.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by roadrage06
Also, if I were to go to 700hp, both the TT kit and Supercharger kit would need some other parts replaced adding money to BOTH bottom lines -- meaning, again, the supercharger would still either break even or be cheaper than the TT kit.
I'm not quite following the need for changing the stock block. I started out at 500 rwhp with the TTiX kit. I'm now at 750+rwhp and still using the same turbos and stock block.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
roadrage06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I'm not quite following the need for changing the stock block. I started out at 500 rwhp with the TTiX kit. I'm now at 750+rwhp and still using the same turbos and stock block.
Sorry, wrong terminology I suppose. You've probably changed out some of the internals, though, no?

If not, that's impressive. Everything I've read says after 600, bottom-end should be changed.

Kind of off topic, though, because, as I conceded earlier, this is my pre-purchased opinion. I do not have either at this point -- all cubes here (stock 346 at that).

I was merely stating my opinion on how to go about deciding using myself as an example along with the conclusions I came to while making that decision. So, yes, some of my facts may be off. But taking all of my itemized criteria into consideration as a whole, not individually out of context, I think I described pretty well why that was the best choice for me.

Adapting my criteria and answering the questions for yourself and inputting your own research is what will vary the results. I was just trying to show the type of mundane considerations that are required because of how similar both roads are.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Doesn't count cause you were in Mexico.

Were's Algz06, Albert's car is sure to hurt some feelings-especially with his new shoes.
Mexico is the only place that counts lol! Come on Arun I'm not knocking Centri's they work. But your trying to generalize every turbo setup by saying they peak early and thats not true at all. Sure there are some guys that put mismatched parts on cars and they peak early, but I can show you graph's of centri cars that do the same thing. And trust me when I tell you that I have hurt a few Centri's feeling in this TT car of mine.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

You've probably changed out some of the internals, though, no?

If not, that's impressive. Everything I've read says after 600, bottom-end should be changed.

Shhhh, TG hasn't read that yet.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
bradenW
Drifting

Originally Posted by inspector12
Mexico is the only place that counts lol! Come on Arun I'm not knocking Centri's they work. But your trying to generalize every turbo setup by saying they peak early and thats not true at all. Sure there are some guys that put mismatched parts on cars and they peak early, but I can show you graph's of centri cars that do the same thing. And trust me when I tell you that I have hurt a few Centri's feeling in this TT car of mine.
Yep. I remember a time not but a few years ago when almost everyone (on here) that had a centri had some baby cam and it peaked between 5-6K. I think Arun showed CF members the light on that deal.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by inspector12
The peaking at 6k was a joke-honestly. But the blower cars that are peaking at 6k are wasting useable power by overspinning them.

I think they were trying to copy the earlier TTix graphs

But then again-all that torque-but why? Spinning ain't winning!

And for everyone who think's I am anti-turbo, I actually got quotes to get a TTix kit for my car-when they said I couldn't copy the power curve of the centri-I gave up.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
roadrage06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Its Bruce

Haha, wow, that is impressive. I thought I had seen there were a few on here still pushing the stock internals.

I think when the time comes I am going to chalk that up as the exception, not the rule, though.

I've read enough literature by guys who build racecars that make me leary of testing that threshold.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
topdown01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think UPP said it best with the beer analogy.

They are so close you really need to come up with your own limiting criteria.

One day I am going centri (ECS) and here is the criteria I used...

1.) What is my budget for a lump purchase?
This build is already going to take me years (I'm not Bill Gates. I'm 28 with a wife, son, baby on the way, and a mortgage). A couple income taxes and some financing nets me a full kit and tune ready to rock.

2.) What supporting mods are required to get to my desired power levels? Or, at a minimum, get the kit running as a bolt-on?
Most kits don't require supporting mods. Without them, you're looking at pretty much the same power levels.

3.) What type of environments/racing will I be using this power in?
I probably won't get to the track too much. Probably just punching it on long straights now and then so I want that instant torque of a supercharger, plus centri's are known for a power curve that shoots toward the heavens, which is better for highway jaunts (from my amateur research).

4.) What do I want my powerband to look like (see #3)?
Again, wanted decent torque, but not melt my tires at 2000rpm, plus, as I said, wanted to feel the torque climb as long as the pedal is down.

5.) What sounds will make me smile more?
All the systems are that good that this kind of silly stuff is one thing I took into consideration. I like the blow-off sound, but I like more of a whine at lower RPM's. Centri was the obvious choice in this department for me.

6.) What dealer/installer/tuner is close by? What is their reputation?
Another easy decision. I am in PA, ECS is in NJ. They have a reputation for getting every single HP out of a stock setup on safe tunes.

7.) What do you want people to see when you pop the hood (some people like to be secretive about mods)?
I'd like to show some jewelry off after so much time, money, and sweat... everything is up top on supercharger setups.

8.) How soon after install can you afford to go bigger?
As stated in #1, not very soon. I need to be happy with the power I make on a stock setup. Plus, once I can afford to forge a few internals, more boost is pretty easy on superchargers until you max out the unit.

9.) What supporting mods can easily be added to the stock setup (e.g.- meth, cam, headers, heads, etc.) without needing to reconfigure the entire setup?
Headers/cam/meth/heads can all be added to the system I want, which means my build can be progressive; I can make as much or more power than a turbo kit when I have the money instead of forking it over for just the price of TT kit.

10.) What existing mods do you have that will have to be parted or become money-lost?
Same as #9. In the years to come, before I can afford the ECS kit, I can put headers on in anticipation for it. So, while I"m waiting I can play a little with more HP and torque. When the ECS kit goes on, the headers stay and make more power for me than a base ECS kit on a bone stock C5. TT kits use custom exhaust manifolds meaning any labor or $ you sank into headers in the years leading up to it goes bye-bye.
Wow, this is outstanding! Thank you do much for this...the points are well thought out and will help me. I contacted A&A to learn more about their offerings. Like you, I have limitations on funding so I would like to make a wise choice that will get me somewhere around 600 hp.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
roadrage06
Instructor

Originally Posted by topdown01
Wow, this is outstanding! Thank you do much for this...the points are well thought out and will help me. I contacted A&A to learn more about their offerings. Like you, I have limitations on funding so I would like to make a wise choice that will get me somewhere around 600 hp.
No problem. As I said to the more experienced posters above, my research is by no means conclusive, but I think the questions/criteria is universal. The kits really are 6 of one; half-dozen of another. So, you're going to have to get picky, perhaps even trivial (like the sound it makes).

Another thing that helped in the mundane details was YouTube videos. Watch vids of different setups. The one that brings the biggest smile to your face should ultimately be your decision -- smile factor is even more important than HP and $ figures. I think that's something anyone on here will tell you.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

There are plenty of graphs of TTix cars and Centri cars to prove this statement is pure BULL ****!!!!!!
We'll that would have to depend on the tune! I can tune 8psi conservatively and create 500 hp, or 8psi on the ragged edge with meth ~650hp.

Here on earth the laws of physics are in place, and the laws of physics state that it takes energy to create motion! SC's steel 17-19% on average, where as turbos are 2-3% parasitic loss due to the added back pressure. To put it in perspective, it takes ~900hp just to spin the SC on a top fuel drag car....

So pretty much no matter how you do the math:
(HP from boost)-(HP lost driving SC) < (HP from Boost)

I understand you sell SC's and I understand you want to make a sale....but if you're going to bash TT, at least do it honestly! Like "TT's have LAG!!" .....

CK
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
We'll that would have to depend on the tune! I can tune 8psi conservatively and create 500 hp, or 8psi on the ragged edge with meth ~650hp.

Here on earth the laws of physics are in place, and the laws of physics state that it takes energy to create motion! SC's steel 17-19% on average, where as turbos are 2-3% parasitic loss due to the added back pressure. To put it in perspective, it takes ~900hp just to spin the SC on a top fuel drag car....

So pretty much no matter how you do the math:
(HP from boost)-(HP lost driving SC) < (HP from Boost)

I understand you sell SC's and I understand you want to make a sale....but if you're going to bash TT, at least do it honestly! Like "TT's have LAG!!" .....

CK
Dude, I'm not here trying to sell anything-infact we sell Turbo kits too-we may have Viper coming here shortly for a turbo install.

So blower rob's power from the crank and the turbo doesn't rob anything by sticking it in the exhaust?

Show me a 8psi graph and i'll show you one-no meth-then we can compare.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM
bradenW
Drifting

Anyone tried brake boosting a blower car? lol Solves the lag problem in Mexico. The spinning isn't winning/turbos make un-useable torque is kind of a silly concept to me. If your suspension and tire isn't set up to handle the power you are making regardless of what you are making it with, your car is NOT COMPLETE. Instead of recommending someone make less power, recommend they properly set up their car to handle the power made. The car is safer that way as well..
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

And for everyone who think's I am anti-turbo, I actually got quotes to get a TTix kit for my car-when they said I couldn't copy the power curve of the centri-I gave up.
I know you're not anti-turbo, but I wish you would have mentioned this before. We can make a turbo deliver a power curve just like a supercharger if that's all that is holding you back. And it makes much more sense to do it this way than trying to wastegate a blower to make it have a graph like a turbo.

Originally Posted by Its Bruce

Haha, wow, that is impressive. I thought I had seen there were a few on here still pushing the stock internals.

I think when the time comes I am going to chalk that up as the exception, not the rule, though.

I've read enough literature by guys who build racecars that make me leary of testing that threshold.

Thanks. Yes, it's a stock longblock except for the ls6 intake and aftermarket cam. The 750 was with the stock cam. Can you post any links to the literature from racecar builders that makes you worry about pushing one this hard?

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 03-21-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To TT vs SC

Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bradenW
Anyone tried brake boosting a blower car? lol Solves the lag problem in Mexico. The spinning isn't winning/turbos make un-useable torque is kind of a silly concept to me. If your suspension and tire isn't set up to handle the power you are making regardless of what you are making it with, your car is NOT COMPLETE. Instead of recommending someone make less power, recommend they properly set up their car to handle the power made. The car is safer that way as well..
Like this? Normally turbos aren't spooled until 4300 or so on my little 347.

Also notice less boost at 60 than those higher speeds. I needed that to keep traction. I'm also making way more power per psi(about 26) on the TT than when I had a blower(17-19). They are simply more efficient. Not sure how anybody thinks they can argue that. Look at the paxton vipers vs the TT. Look at the fact you can make more power on any given injector with turbos than a blower. Less parasitic loss. More power for any given fuel as well.

The only downside is packaging and the available kits out there on these cars. You end up having to sacrifice a lot to fit good components. The blower mostly just takes up empty space. Other cars there is no question which is better. The higher hp vettes are spending within 20% of the cost of a custom kit from a good fabricator I would say.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Z06-TT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of graphs of TTix cars and Centri cars to prove this statement is pure BULL ****!!!!!!

And there's also plenty of $5X, XXX dollars builds-just in parts and the turbo cars still don't hang with the centri cars when they count-they just have plenty excuses.

yeah. i was getting at you will have to push more boost to get power out of supercharger comparied to turbo.

we made 816/843 on 8.5 PSI on a our twin kit.

looking at most 5-7K supercharger kits. you are dead by 700-800 horse. unless you upgrade to a bigger blower
Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Z06-TT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know of 3 kits for the vettes that will support 1000 WHEEL and nothing in the kit needs replaced. and one kit that supports 1200 WHEEL.

Dude, I'm not here trying to sell anything-infact we sell Turbo kits too-we may have Viper coming here shortly for a turbo install.

So blower rob's power from the crank and the turbo doesn't rob anything by sticking it in the exhaust?

Show me a 8psi graph and i'll show you one-no meth-then we can compare.

that count.

show me an 8psi blower kit that is using an orginal kit supercharger that can do that??

Quick Reply: TT vs SC