C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Rides twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Vert_Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the project coming along?

I'm still curious if you'll be able to command 5-8psi from this thing with the wastegate placement etc.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Any updates here??

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry guys, I haven't been messing with the car much I hate to say. Had to put in some quality time at home first. Don't worry as it will get finished this fall and I hope to either drive it some or get it on the dyno over winter and ready EARLY next spring

I had to pull the fuel pumps out to change one and got pictures of that, but when I got a new phone I f'd up and deleted all my phone pictures one day. I just have to finalize the turbo inlets, pre-intercoolers pipes, install the radiator, seal around everything and add some gauges, etc. Not a ton of stuff, but enough to keep me busy. I'm going to take next term off from school to get a lot more done around the house/garage so It should be done soon I hope

Last edited by slow ride; 08-12-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM
slow ride
Drifting

It runs! Started right up, but I did have the oil and fuel system primed. It ended up running 11.3:1 AFR and idles around 900rpm very smooth (almost too smooth) so I'll drop the idle down some. The 226 226 cam gets sucked up by the 383 pretty well. Still need to do the turbo inlets, compressor discharge pipes and lots of little crap. It's just nice to hear it run after almost 2.5 years haha. I'll work on getting a video of it.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slow ride
It runs! Started right up, but I did have the oil and fuel system primed. It ended up running 11.3:1 AFR and idles around 900rpm very smooth (almost too smooth) so I'll drop the idle down some. The 226 226 cam gets sucked up by the 383 pretty well. Still need to do the turbo inlets, compressor discharge pipes and lots of little crap. It's just nice to hear it run after almost 2.5 years haha. I'll work on getting a video of it.
Congrats!!! Looking forward to the video!

I run my obnoxiously large cam at 850rpm idle without issue, I think you can turn yours down
Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice looking project you have there
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Thanks, I have a lot of pictures to take also. I hate to say I really didn't do to that much to the car since this time last year, but the bug is back If I would have known how long fabing every little part of this thing was going to take me I probably would have bought a kit. I just hope it performs well in the end.

Last edited by slow ride; 06-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Dreadnought
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great build. Your wastegate set-up is beautiful. Did you figure out how you were going to run the turbo inlets/pre-intercooler pipes? As a note, I would consider trying something other than how Lingenfelter TTs are set up. The hoses on mine wear down pretty easily, even with welded-on wheel stops.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Thanks guys. I tell you what, the inlets/outlets are a sore subject with me on this slow project . I run large front tires and always will so space will be tight. From all the research I and others have done with turbo kits it really shows how this portion of the kit can really cripple the output. I'll probably end up making pipes for both sides that are stainless 3" inlets that hook to my 2.75" flex tube (crushed some where the wheel contact would be) and 2" steel boost that run along with them expanding to 2.5" a foot or so before the intercooler. Plans could change but I think that's the way to go. I thought about something more temporary to get it driving, but not sure.

I am going for as much ground clearance as possible so running under the cradle is not going to happen either. I thought about using the frame rails as a "large tube", but the engine would have to be out to work that in and it seems like that might total the car (not sure).

Here is a corny video from the 1st start up (well like 4th haha)

Originally Posted by Dreadnought
What a great build. Your wastegate set-up is beautiful. Did you figure out how you were going to run the turbo inlets/pre-intercooler pipes? As a note, I would consider trying something other than how Lingenfelter TTs are set up. The hoses on mine wear down pretty easily, even with welded-on wheel stops.

Last edited by slow ride; 06-06-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well done, sir!

-32% STFT's and still 11.3 afr.. Pull some fuel out of that heap!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking back,

could it have been possible to mount the turbo's a little higher so the oil would gravity drain into the pan?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Shush, that was the very first flash for start up. I haven't touched it again as I kept it running and looking for leaks, etc. Plan to mess with more stuff this weekend. It popped right off like these engines normally do on the first try and idled like a baby with the big 3 being almost too quiet. Yea she stunk up the garage REALLY good

Originally Posted by JDS99
Well done, sir!

-32% STFT's and still 11.3 afr.. Pull some fuel out of that heap!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Not a chance with those manifolds as I think I would need to come up 4-5". I really didn't want the scavenge setup either and probably would have gone the route of JDS99 if I were to do it again. I'll just say C5's suck for turbo kits

I do wonder if it could be done with the zl1 or g8 manifolds that dump down at the rear. Probably would have to cut off the stock flange and weld a t3 or t4 flange right to the manifolds as high as possible. A guy did this on ls1tech on a camaro and it turned out really nice. I'll take more video looking around the car so people can see where stuff is.

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Looking back,

could it have been possible to mount the turbo's a little higher so the oil would gravity drain into the pan?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Finally some pictures. Been a long road with lots of hold ups, but I was able to tool around in the car the other day. Feels great, still lots of little things to do, but the good news is the rxt clutch/trans/rear feel great, nothing leaks and turbo response is excellent. Damn things spools right now, but I need some gauges/data to make sure its safe to push it hard.

Quick overflashed shot of the 3" exhaust fitting around the c6z drivetrain/coolers. F'n sucked to mod my welded big 3 exhaust to fit around this junk. Tips were good before tig welding, but the drivers side got messed up somehow and needs some work. Nothing worse than getting these things looking perfect. Exhaust is almost too quiet with a little boom/drone in the mid teens rpm wise. Should be easy to live with though.

Scavenge pump setup turned out clean. Got it on a time delay relay also so it runs 20-30 seconds on shutdown. Check vlave on the return side which is -8 and the suction is -10.

Few more downpipe shots. I have to say I'm happy with this setup, fits good and easy to get at the 02's etc.

The inlets were/are a pain. I still need to dent in the pipes a little since I run such large tires up front. I might switch wheels/tires out in the future, but you can still drive it around like this. You can see the crazy pie cutting I did in a few pictures due to lack of bends/space. I need to tweak the drivers side pipe up a little as its rubs the spring now that its on the ground. Lots of time and fun on these guys.

Random pictures

I really wish I bought a tig of my own before all this. I'd probably be great at it and it might have moved along a little faster. Overall the kit including the fuel system, turbos, and drivetrain turned out better than I expected, but I guess I had enough time
Old 08-14-2014, 12:51 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome!! Congrats on getting her running and being able to drive it again after so long!

I can fully appreciate what it takes to build a setup like this, and certainly not for the typical wrencher. Most rewarding part is getting behind the wheel and let it go work for you for a change!

Well done, sir! Looking forward to more videos and results!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Thanks man, I might have borrowed a few ideas from your pictures I hope your project is going well also
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slow ride
Thanks man, I might have borrowed a few ideas from your pictures I hope your project is going well also
Excellent. I think your inlet piping came out pretty well. Glad you hard piped it instead of using the flexible hose stuff.

Hey hey, top secret stuff on the new project! Though 95% of people in here would say it's impossible to fit what I am anyway Have about 1-1.5 weeks left in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Slow Rides twin turbo

Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 PM
slow ride
Drifting

You make my 3 year build/party look stupid time wise, but I did keep that batwing pan I didn't say a word about nutin just the car in general

Whats funny is on that first start up when the car was always rich it was actually tuned a lot better than I thought. I needed to add the table to EFIlive for lowering the IPW under 1ms. After that idle was in the mid 14's and the car revs cleaner.

Last edited by slow ride; 08-15-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Gonna be sick.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Nice work.

Quick Reply: Slow Rides twin turbo