C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 PM
ttz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default STS guys

Those of you who have an sts kit, or other rear mounted twin setup, how were you bending/cutting the pinch weld in the rear of the rocker panel? I'm not having much luck budging mine.
I'm making a custom setup for my C5Z and am thinking about flattening a 2.5" pipe and running one along each side of the underbody to avoid going through the rockers. Any other ideas one how to run charge pipes for twins aside from that or through the rockers?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 PM
casey007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem running through the rockers just trim the lower portion on the rear tire end.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
ttz
Racer

Didn't you have to bend or cut the pinch send in the rocker's near the rear of them? I sure do. Otherwise I would only have about 3/4" to squeeze them in. STS's instructions say to bend them, but that isn't working for me. Maybe I'm going about it wrong. So if you did have to do something with the pinch welds, how did you bend them or cut them?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
redneckvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I used a pneumatic reciprocating saw, it is much smaller than an electric ones and therefor easier to be precise with the cuts. Worked like a champ. When you are done cutting be sure to paint the fresh cut to reduce rusting.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM
ttz
Racer

STS's pipes are 1.75", right? Whats the ID of those?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
brandtdavis
Burning Brakes

I agree, reciprocating saw cuts through really easy. But be extra careful pushing the rocker pipes through. They were too snug on my 97 and I ended up cracking one rocker and I've noticed the paint on the driver side it cracking due to stress from the pipe. If I could do it over again I would have modified the rocker pipes. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brandtdavis
I agree, reciprocating saw cuts through really easy. But be extra careful pushing the rocker pipes through. They were too snug on my 97 and I ended up cracking one rocker and I've noticed the paint on the driver side it cracking due to stress from the pipe. If I could do it over again I would have modified the rocker pipes. Good luck!
Had mine installed by a shop and both rockers are cracked front to back. Test fit before trying to force through.

Get notified of new replies

To STS guys

Quick Reply: STS guys