C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbonetics questions ttix guys might know

Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default turbonetics questions ttix guys might know

Starting to work on my turbo kit and wondering about some of the sizes you guys have come across for the turbine wheel sizes. I was either going to use a t04/03 5 bolt housing or dual v band both t3. It's a 383 shortblock so probably want the .82 a/r but what turbine wheel? I figured either the f1-62 or f1-65, but don't know if I can get the f1-65 in those housings. Going to give Reggie at turbonetics another call, but what do you guys think?

I've see the ttix kits use the pt 6265 which is 65mm exhaust wheel, but does turbonetics sell that housing is a 65mm bore or does it have to be done elsewhere? I want the car to spool well, but don't want it to choke up top. I'll probably order the 62-1 compressor wheel in the t04b cover to help with fitting it. Turbos will be located in the same area as aps kits so I'm not so sure how easy it would be to fit the larger cover and I think the smaller cover will make everything I could ever need (for now ) I'd like the kit to make close to 900whp on e85 if this old shortblock will let it. Probably build a better shortblock down the road if it works out well.

Kit would be sort of like the Vengance racing c6z turbo kits
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...z06-build.html

Last edited by slow ride; 06-26-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Please call turbonetics to verify, but it seems like I remember hearing that turbonetics made the 65mm turbine side at one time. Then, after precision developed their billet 6265's, turbonetics stopped making the 65mm t3 turbine. Please post up on what you find out, so that this information be either confirmed or corrected.

Based on some of the combinations on this board, it looks like the f1-62 turbine wheel can make 900rwhp but you are pushing it fairly hard at that point. I think the 65mm turbine wheel would give you more potential.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Yea I'll let you know. I know ttix uses the turbonetics .82 a/r 5 bolt housing in there PT 6265 upgrade since precision doesn't offer a .82 housing in 5 bolt config. I'm just not sure if Turbonetics will machine a 5 bolt housing for a 65mm wheel or if ttix has to send them out to a 3rd party.

I like the idea of the dual v band housing for my build (if I follow the vengance style kit), but need to ask about getting the 65mm exhaust wheel for that also. I really like good response and being a manual car I'm trying to avoid too much shift lag. I could just use a Precision turbo, but I get a better deal for turbonetics and my friend who sells them has WAY better luck with the turbonetics not having issues and if they do they fix it no questions asked.

Sometimes I feel a little foolish not doing a full t4 turbo, but can't really see supporting it with large/high doller engine, etc. My junk is cheap I don't go 120+ mph anyway so I'm sure traction would be an issue for even the little turbos.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Reggie said I could use a f1-65 turbine wheel in either the newer t3 v-band in/out housing or the old t3 5 bolt housing(would be the ttix housing). He is kind of short on the phone so getting comments out of him seems hard. It's either yes or no question. It would be a lot easier if they just listed all this crap in there catalog, but this combo doesn't show up.

So it looks like I could make a 6265 out of a turbonetics t04b compresor cover using there 62-1 compressor wheel. If this info is correct you ttix guys could do the same with your current turbos and they would fit better due to the smaller b cover. The e cover would be more like the size of a precision unit and I could use that if I have enough room as the b cover cuts down flow ~5-10%. I would then use a t3 turbine (.82 a/r) with a f1-65 turbine wheel.

I just wish I knew if I'd like the spool enough with a 6265 setup on my 383. It's about 9.8-10.0 static compression with a 226/226 117 lxl lobe cam, home ported 317's and ls6 intake. It's either that or a 6262 deal which would spool better, but run out of steam at higher boost/rpm type deals. I know the ttix guys have made a ton with the 5862 size stuff in a .82 a/r, but I just wanted to make something a little different. I like the idea of dual v bands though. Any comments from the ttix guys on what you would do as far as sizing your turbos vs response? I think the car should have good off boost response anyway so maybe I'm over thinking it.

Last edited by slow ride; 06-27-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

So you are saying that I could take my current compressor and turbine housing and just install a 62mm compressor wheel and 65mm turbine wheel? Is there any machining required or are they a direct fit.

The 57's have always hit really hard and spooled well on a 346 LS1 or LS6. 5 Liter Eater is running them on a 10.2 CR 402 and starts most of his highway races in 3rd gear and has no issues with spool. His cam is even larger than what you would be runnning.

I think a 383 with 10:1 compression wouldn't have any problem pushing 6265's. If I were you and had the option to pick one from the beginning, I would go with the 6265's. I think you will be happy and have plenty of room to make even more power down the road.

My goal is to one day run some 6265's at 25 to 28 psi. I think they would work very well at that level.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 AM
slow ride
Drifting

You would need to machine the compressor cover to 62mm and turbine housing to 65mm. Not sure of the cost for all this on old turbos. I'm 100% sure on the compressor cover being able to take the 62-1 wheel as I've read that here in other posts, but the turbine wheel sounds like it's availible also. I really need to order these and see them to believe it is availible as Reggie might have over looked something, etc. You could also switch to the E compressor cover and gain a little more flow, but might need to tweak some things as other have done to fit the larger cover on the car with the ttix kit. The e cover would make the turbos the same size externally as a precision turbo 6265, etc.

I'm just not a big fan of lag I guess. I grew up with turbo 4's so I've seen the worst of it user_name on here said he has a slight bit of shift lag on his 6265's but that on a 9.0:1 347. I know my stroker crank and point of compression would help that out a lot. he has better heads than I do, but my ported 317's should do be quite a bit better than stockers. Hard to say on paper. Need more turbo guys around here to post up.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Trans brakes take care of the lag issues.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
slow ride
Drifting

I forgot to say it's a stick car so it will be slow
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...924-878-a.html
follow my thread
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
slow ride
Drifting

I think your hurricane turbos are full t4 correct? Do you know the exact spec for the compressor/exhaust wheels and housings? I've seen enough proof that a 6265 will work well on a 383 like mine I think. Now I just need to decide if I want to run the smaller b cover on the compressor or step up to the e cover and gain some flow. I'm working around a batwing oil pan so give me a break
Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record, I have no idea how you guys keep up with all these turbines and housings and flanges and A/Rs and canooter valves and such. That's probably why I'll just stick with a S/C.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Its Bruce
For the record, I have no idea how you guys keep up with all these turbines and housings and flanges and A/Rs and canooter valves and such. That's probably why I'll just stick with a S/C.
I don't know how you supercharger guys keep up with all the belt and pulley options. 6, 8, 10, or 12 rib? Cog? Flip drive? If so a Cartek flip drive or a Dallas flip drive? Electric water pump? Underdrive pulley, if so Innovators West or someone else? Do you go with a Vortech head unit (over a dozen options), ProCharger (P1,D1, F1, etc), Novi, 2000, 2500, etc. What about belt lengths? There are dozens of options.

I'll stick to what I know I don't know and let the rest stick to what they think they know that they don't know.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Vert_Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slow ride, is your ride getting any faster ??
Did you find all the answers you were looking for and how is the project coming?
Also Slow Z06 on here runs a 6265 setup. You should see how he likes his, but I think he was last shopping for a new engine..........
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Just got the turbos last week as it took a month 62-1 compressor wheel in smaller b cover, 65mm exhaust wheel all in the newer turbonetics dual v band .82a/r t3 exhaust housing. They are nothing fancy, journal bearing and all, but should do everything I need them to. It's going to be a slow project
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride
Just got the turbos last week as it took a month 62-1 compressor wheel in smaller b cover, 65mm exhaust wheel all in the newer turbonetics dual v band .82a/r t3 exhaust housing. They are nothing fancy, journal bearing and all, but should do everything I need them to. It's going to be a slow project
What are you looking to make for power?
I look forward to seeing how this comes out for you.
Should be responsive on the street with those specs.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Do you have any pics of the new turbos? Please keep us posted on the build. I would like to see how it turns out.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Starting to work on my turbo kit and wondering about some of the sizes you guys have come across for the turbine wheel sizes. I was either going to use a t04/03 5 bolt housing or dual v band both t3. It's a 383 shortblock so probably want the .82 a/r but what turbine wheel? I figured either the f1-62 or f1-65, but don't know if I can get the f1-65 in those housings. Going to give Reggie at turbonetics another call, but what do you guys think?

I've see the ttix kits use the pt 6265 which is 65mm exhaust wheel, but does turbonetics sell that housing is a 65mm bore or does it have to be done elsewhere? I want the car to spool well, but don't want it to choke up top. I'll probably order the 62-1 compressor wheel in the t04b cover to help with fitting it. Turbos will be located in the same area as aps kits so I'm not so sure how easy it would be to fit the larger cover and I think the smaller cover will make everything I could ever need (for now ) I'd like the kit to make close to 900whp on e85 if this old shortblock will let it. Probably build a better shortblock down the road if it works out well.

Kit would be sort of like the Vengance racing c6z turbo kits
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...z06-build.html
We have tested all of the TTI turbo combos offered from day one, and we were the first to come up with the precision 62/65 using the Turbonetics 65mm 5 bolt ,.82 a/r housings. Reggie can be a hard guy to deal with if your not a large qty buyer. I don't believe Turbonetic offers a 62mm billet compressor wheel for the B cover. What you can do is order the turbonetics exhaust housing with the turbine oil heat shield and send them to precision to make the 62/65's .Also note we are getting some new B cover turbos next week that should make 10%-15% more power over our old precision/turbonetic 62/65's combo.

Last edited by Rob@ChampionMotors; 08-12-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To turbonetics questions ttix guys might know

Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Vert_Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

Are you guys doing anything with the CEA 66mm turbine wheels ?
If so, what are the results telling you vs the older 65mm F1 technology turbines ?

I thought the E covers were 3" in x 2" out and the B covers were smaller at 2.75" in x 1.75" out..........hmmmmm. Just when I thought I was getting a good grasp on the nomenclature, ha.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
slow ride
Drifting

I think Reggie said they(turbonetics) could do a 67mm compressor wheel in the b cover, but doesn't list it as it's just not that common. My friend is a vendor so he gets answers from them, but you need to bug Reggie a bit more than I like also. Seems like I've haven't seen many b covers with compressor wheels bigger than 60-1 and 62mm exhaust wheels as most will use the larger cover(I'm just talking turbonetics stuff here). The dual v band is a nice piece though and is no more expensive than the other housings.

I really think the car will be shortblock limited with the mahle powerpack pistons I have in it. It's from my old 383 h/c setup. I'd like to think if all the plumbing is ran nice in full size the turbos would be good for 1000whp or so, but I'd be happy to see 800whp on e85 and keep the block in one piece for now. Car has a rxt and c6z t56 (cooler return relocated) and diff. I should have put 500m stubs and a brace on it, but it will have to do for now. It's also got home ported 317's, 226 lxl lobe can, ls6 intake, bla, bla nothing fancy.

Here is a few pictures

Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vert_Fan
Rob,

Are you guys doing anything with the CEA 66mm turbine wheels ?
If so, what are the results telling you vs the older 65mm F1 technology turbines ?

I thought the E covers were 3" in x 2" out and the B covers were smaller at 2.75" in x 1.75" out..........hmmmmm. Just when I thought I was getting a good grasp on the nomenclature, ha.
The 65mm turbine is the largest wheel you can fit on the 5 bolt housings. Also the B cover max size is 62mm. Were just trying some different profile wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbonetics questions ttix guys might know