C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Track night was a disaster... The track was insanely crowded, the weather was horrible and as Mark posted, every 4x4 truck in Houston was racing last night... The track was pretty much ****.... Air was around +1200' for the most part but fog/dew setting in everywhere.

I was there 6 hours and only got 3 passes.... All of which sucked. I figured out that I can NOT shift this thing worth a $hit, especially the 4th gear shift. The B&M ripper shifter is gonna have to go for sure.... Another thing I figured out is the 28" M&Hs, (which hooked VERY well on the strip) are just way too tall....Once I finally get it into 4th(after bobbling the shifts every time) the car just falls flat on its face, the engine falls to 4500 rpms in 4th and it just can't make it up fast enough....So the 28s are gonna have to go...

I also fought with the TCS/ABS system and it was wreaking havok on my burn outs no matter which mode I put it in.

I guess the good notes are the car did not break, it ran well (for as bad as the driving was) hooked up relatively well for as bad as I was launching...

Here is the run down..

Pass 1--Shake down, going really easy..air inlet on/15* (830ish hp)
60'--1.96
330'--4.90
1/8-- no ET but 94.97 mph
1/4--10.83@137

Pass 2--air inlet on/15* (830ish hp)
60'--1.75
330'--4.54
1/8--6.79@109.95
1/4--10.41@137.62 (Bobbled the 4th gear shift, it went in on the 2nd try)

Pass 3--Velocity stack on/17* (900 hp)
60'--1.71
330'--4.53
1/8--6.76@111.28
1/4--10.57@132.45(Bobbled the 4th gear shift horribly, foot slid off the gas pedal and caught the edge of the pedal trying to get back on it....Wasted run.

That was it.... I never even tryed to launch the car hard, I was just trying to get it down the track and hit all the gears on time and quickly, neither of which happened...

Pretty embarassing to say the least...

Action items:
*Get a drag pack ASAP and get it on some 26" tires, the 28s just KILL it in 4th gear...

*Change to some kind of a better shifter
* Wait for the Houston track rental to run it again, Can't learn to shift it when it blows tires off on the street or when I only get 3 passes a night at the track...
*Get new fender liners
*Get a roll bar as I got the boot for no roll bar, (not that I would have made more passes anyway with 2 hr waits in between)
* Start saving up for an RPM auto conversion....this stick shift stuff sux..

Thats my list of excuses...1st trip out was not a success on any front, other then I didnt wreck it and its still running.. I did get a few data logs, and hopefully my go pro footage came through...Ill post that up later.. Gonna start researching shifters now..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Too bad, well that beats working anyday. Kinda figured since no updates, but with all that time and you kept your brothers hangin.

Get em next time.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

One of the worst track days I have had in a while. Mother Nature was not on our side. Not only was the DA for sh$t but there was dew everywhere. There was also no track prep and the trucks dragged water everywhere. My car was all over the place. In and out of the throttle the whole way down was a 9.9@148 and 9.6@145. Car wouldn't 60' for the life of me. The track has really gone down bill as far as crowd contolled. People everywhere in the staging lanes, drinking 40s right before the burnout box, ect. I even had to drive around people to line up in the box.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Last edited by ajrothm; 12-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by algZO6
One of the worst track days I have had in a while. Mother Nature was not on our side. Not only was the DA for sh$t but there was dew everywhere. There was also no track prep and the trucks dragged water everywhere. My car was all over the place. In and out of the throttle the whole way down was a 9.9@148 and 9.6@145. Car wouldn't 60' for the life of me. The track has really gone down bill as far as crowd contolled. People everywhere in the staging lanes, drinking 40s right before the burnout box, ect. I even had to drive around people to line up in the box.
That sucks for both you and Alan. I'm texting with him about it now. When people think HRP( now RPR) in Houston, they think fast. I did warn you though a couple months back about it. (Sorry I couldn't make it, wife's bday weekend). They don't realize how bad the track is now and that it is ALL trucks. It's not like other tracks. I'm racing in San Antonio again when I get this car done. I've been there plenty of times, and it's a good track. RPR is a complete joke now if you want to go fast.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea you did. I always had such good luck before, just can't believe how bad it is. Let me know when you do the track rental. I might come down.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Well that sucks. I can try and get a rental going down here if thats what yall want. I allready talked to Freddy so I need a list and I will get pricing.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

It's days like that when it really amazing to see cars with a good track setup carry the front wheels anyway.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Reviewing my data on my last pass... It took me .4 for the 1-2 shift, .5 for the 2-3 shift and 1.6 for the 3-4 shift.... Talk about killing a bunch of time.... Also after I make the shift to 4th, the rpms are at 4456 in 4th, I went through the trap at 5800...It was still making 20 psi of boost then but....too little too late I think..

On some of my street pulls on the 26s, it only took me .25 sec to make the 3-4 shift@6500 and after the shift it recovers at 4650 rpms in 4th.... So the 28" tires killed 200 rpms at the bottom of 4th...so not as bad as I thought for the 28s... I definitely need to rev it higher in 3rd for a better recovery in 4th....

Although I'm stumped now as to what to do about the tires.. They are hurtin it in 4th but maybe not as much as I thought. Its got to be my shifting thats killing so much mph...

Vids coming up soon..
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Vids of my crappy driving....
1st pass..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPA1TNxLVTI

2nd pass..
Notice the jacked up 4th gear shift...and the lack of pull in the bottom of 4th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-Tg...dr3JJw&index=1

Watch em in 1080p and full screen..

This is gonna take a LOT of practice to get this thing to run anywhere near it should...

I think it makes a better hwy racer...LOL
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
tirecraft
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Track night was a disaster... The track was insanely crowded, the weather was horrible and as Mark posted, every 4x4 truck in Houston was racing last night... The track was pretty much ****.... Air was around +1200' for the most part but fog/dew setting in everywhere.

I was there 6 hours and only got 3 passes.... All of which sucked. I figured out that I can NOT shift this thing worth a $hit, especially the 4th gear shift. The B&M ripper shifter is gonna have to go for sure.... Another thing I figured out is the 28" M&Hs, (which hooked VERY well on the strip) are just way too tall....Once I finally get it into 4th(after bobbling the shifts every time) the car just falls flat on its face, the engine falls to 4500 rpms in 4th and it just can't make it up fast enough....So the 28s are gonna have to go...

I also fought with the TCS/ABS system and it was wreaking havok on my burn outs no matter which mode I put it in.

I guess the good notes are the car did not break, it ran well (for as bad as the driving was) hooked up relatively well for as bad as I was launching...

Here is the run down..

Pass 1--Shake down, going really easy..air inlet on/15* (830ish hp)
60'--1.96
330'--4.90
1/8-- no ET but 94.97 mph
1/4--10.83@137

Pass 2--air inlet on/15* (830ish hp)
60'--1.75
330'--4.54
1/8--6.79@109.95
1/4--10.41@137.62 (Bobbled the 4th gear shift, it went in on the 2nd try)

Pass 3--Velocity stack on/17* (900 hp)
60'--1.71
330'--4.53
1/8--6.76@111.28
1/4--10.57@132.45(Bobbled the 4th gear shift horribly, foot slid off the gas pedal and caught the edge of the pedal trying to get back on it....Wasted run.

That was it.... I never even tryed to launch the car hard, I was just trying to get it down the track and hit all the gears on time and quickly, neither of which happened...

Pretty embarassing to say the least...

Action items:
*Get a drag pack ASAP and get it on some 26" tires, the 28s just KILL it in 4th gear...

*Change to some kind of a better shifter
* Wait for the Houston track rental to run it again, Can't learn to shift it when it blows tires off on the street or when I only get 3 passes a night at the track...
*Get new fender liners
*Get a roll bar as I got the boot for no roll bar, (not that I would have made more passes anyway with 2 hr waits in between)
* Start saving up for an RPM auto conversion....this stick shift stuff sux..

Thats my list of excuses...1st trip out was not a success on any front, other then I didnt wreck it and its still running.. I did get a few data logs, and hopefully my go pro footage came through...Ill post that up later.. Gonna start researching shifters now..

FYI Kyle (Stonabones69) Went 9.2 rowing the gears with The (B&M Ripper shifter ) I'm calling driver mod .. LoL

With that much power it's going to take a lot of time to get great 1/4 times . Glad to see it running and making hits . Keep at it. Don't give in and go to the auto ...
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
69ls6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey alan.
You really need to do 2nd gear burnouts.On my logs I'm right at 100mph while heating my tires.At your speed in the video 35-40 mph tires may be smoking but not much heat.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Good stuff. That 2nd run was doomed from the botched burnout. Dudes up at the starting line goin.

Love that video's going when you got "the talk"

Have you ever tried the HPT blackbox for datalog? We're not allowed to use laptops on the track here. It works good, and saves battery too.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Alan, get the car out to HMP 1/8 track tomorrow. You can hot lap the car, and it will be empty for the late night grudge racers later. Prep will be there Sunday. Keep after it man.

You're a seasoned drag racer in cars and bikes so you know ET is all in the first 60-330ft. The one thing I'm surprised about is the low 1/8 mile MPH. I guess the shifts killed the MPH. I friggin hate both T56 cars I have owned, my Z06, and my FRC. I've found some totaled vettes with 6060's, I'm going that route when the funds allow.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts

First pass didn't look all that horrible Alan......

FWIW, I start HPT logging before pulling into the burnout box.
Have it all set up so all you have to do is push RUN. It will also maybe tell you what is going on with the traction control as well. I fight the same thing from time to time, even though i think I have it turned off. And disabled in software.

Unfortunately, the Scanner alone won't record O2 data. I actually haven't tried it by itself yet.

They haven't disallowed laptops at Portland yet, but they do want it belted in.

My routine is: Start the car, turn TC off, start HPT,then go do the burnout and run. Do you have a line lock?

I hear you I hear you I hear you about the track. Although our crowds are smaller, street legal nigh = no track prep and they let anything run through the water box. +1000 da is about the best we get! Ha.

I agree with you on the 3-4 shift. Leg it really high in 3rd. From your logs, you will know where you want the rpm in 3rd to hit the desired rpm in 4th.

Don't bail to the A4 just to get an ET. You won't have near as much fun with it on the street.

Thanks for the update!

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 12-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm awake after pulling a 23 hour stint to get to Houston and home. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself Alan. Your Trans is as physically hard to shift as any I've ever encountered. You have zero seat time in a 6 speed at the track and you're trying it with a close-ratio road racing gear box. Not the optimum situation for drag racing. Couple that with the fact that you don't care to give your transmission and differential a severe flogging and you have the recipe for a less than stellar run down the track.
I enjoyed hanging with you and Albert and hope to do it again soon.
JDS99, good to met you last night.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Alan, get the car out to HMP 1/8 track tomorrow. You can hot lap the car, and it will be empty for the late night grudge racers later. Prep will be there Sunday. Keep after it man.

You're a seasoned drag racer in cars and bikes so you know ET is all in the first 60-330ft. The one thing I'm surprised about is the low 1/8 mile MPH. I guess the shifts killed the MPH. I friggin hate both T56 cars I have owned, my Z06, and my FRC. I've found some totaled vettes with 6060's, I'm going that route when the funds allow.
No can do on HMP.. I'm working nights tonight and the next 4 nights...

I agree on the MPH.. It's definitely way low. I attribute some of it to the shifting and lack of 330' but...still, its way off.. Not sure why. Everything looks perfect in the logs except on one pass I had 4* KR in 1st gear only...not sure what that was but.. It seems like its running perfect, although a little lazy in 4th, I figured that was due to the 28s but... I'm not sure about anything at this point. Until I can get a clean pass and hitting all of the shifts to see where it's really at, I'm just stumped. I figure it would have ran 140-141 if I had hit 4th gear, that's only showing about 750hp or so.... The car weighed 3610lbs if the scale is right...(its always F'D up)...

I was expecting 145mph minimum on the wide front tires and ****** air..

Get notified of new replies

To Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car

Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Car sounds healthy,..has lots of potential. You just gotta get those shifts down bro. It's gonna pick up ALOT of MPH just shifting quicker,..the botched 4th gear runs are where your loosing it. Speed shifting,...will mater soo much. I once picked up 8mph over the owner of a car. 8 mph is like a hundred shot. lol. Owner still can't replicate the mph. Not telling you nothing you don't already know. Just keep at it. Again, car sounds amazing.

Yellow vette looks healthy too. Looked a lil squirrely in that first video.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
No can do on HMP.. I'm working nights tonight and the next 4 nights...

I agree on the MPH.. It's definitely way low. I attribute some of it to the shifting and lack of 330' but...still, its way off.. Not sure why. Everything looks perfect in the logs except on one pass I had 4* KR in 1st gear only...not sure what that was but.. It seems like its running perfect, although a little lazy in 4th, I figured that was due to the 28s but... I'm not sure about anything at this point. Until I can get a clean pass and hitting all of the shifts to see where it's really at, I'm just stumped. I figure it would have ran 140-141 if I had hit 4th gear, that's only showing about 750hp or so.... The car weighed 3610lbs if the scale is right...(its always F'D up)...

I was expecting 145mph minimum on the wide front tires and ****** air..
Nice try the 28s slow mine down from 2nd to 3rd too! but they really help me hook in the 60ft! So here we go with MPH tells rwhp! sound like you r making 700-750 dynos lie!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Forgot to mention, that clutch will settle down after a few passes. I had it in the car at 630-672hp, and it bit the first couple times I tried to slip it. It came around real nice after 2000 miles and my first hit with the 402. Just something to think about.

Quick Reply: Sometimes when I get bored........I build another car