C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged A&A Best Decision Ever

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharged A&A Best Decision Ever

Hello everyone. I have compiled my story on my car. The numbers and review is at the top and my story behind getting the supercharger at the bottom (read if you'd like). Thanks

I just wanted to post on my experience with and review on the A&A supercharger kit recently installed on my 2004 C5 z06. I have been late to post and probably good as I have been able to log around 3k miles on it and able to run it through many different conditions in order to give a proper review. The kit was installed by A&A in February. If anyone has questions about anything do not hesitate to ask. I again want to thank A&A for their work and customer service. Always available for questions and love what they do. Thanks Guys!!!!!

Words to describe briefly: incredible, better, cooler, vastly improved drivability, zero issues, fast, best decision I ever made.

Car:
Stock 2004 C5 Z06. Only after market piece on car is a MGW short shift (new design and awesome).
Black, Black
Current miles: 74,500
Stock everything else
Oil: Royal purple XPR
A&A supercharger.
599.51 whp/513.42 wtrq (91 octane) (crank depends on calculation)
(note on torque: making 380+wtrq at 3k rpm WOW) See dyno pic
Miles when installed kit: 71,500 (approx.) now 74,500 (approx.)
Nitto Nt555rII tires in rear (great tire)

My car made this power with 12 degrees of timing! 91 octane gas. Stock ls6, stock exhaust no headers no nothing. The fit and finish of the kit is superb, I have no oil blow-by, have not lost a drop of oil since install.

Couldn’t be happier:
Drivability:
Better than stock. So much torque that you can relax more, stay in taller gears, accelerate with less fuss. No hiccups at all.

Cooling:
It had been rather cool, for CA like around 75 F, so I waited to know how this would react. The hardest and best test was just last week. I was driving hard having some fun and traffic came to a halt (accident ahead). Temp outside was 87 F. I kept the AC on the whole time, including spirited driving, in order to fully test the system. I stayed at an average speed of around 5-10 mph for 45 minutes right after driving hard. At the time I hit traffic oil temp was at 223. (Spirited driving was up to speed of around 70 and multiple acceleration runs). While in traffic oil went down to 212 and coolant temp stayed at 196. WOW! Car never overheats and when driving hard, I get out and feel charge tube to intake and I swear it is the same temp as outside (cool to touch).

Speed:
WOW! The only problem is that I will never be able to buy a regular car. My dad has an e55 AMG compressor and all I can say is it is slow! My z06 is awesomely fast. Cars already embarrassed: 997 turbo, R8 v10, x6m (it was a joke, while he accelerated I pumped the gas and stayed next to him). I was even with a GSXR bike! Guy was no doubt impressed.
I don't drive fast all the time and when I do I don't go very fast, but what is nice is how dual nature the car is. One minute you have the AC blasting, radio on cruising on the freeway and the next it is a beast!
Its actually kind of a sleeper.. While it is a z06, it is an "old" one in many peoples eyes and car guys know it only has 405hp. Well, lets just say they are quite surprised at how slow there cars are.. I like it this way. No special wheels, no special anything, just a black z06 that rocks.

The sound that this thing makes is amazing. The combination of induction growl, supercharger whine (slight), and stock titanium exhaust is breathtaking.
Would I do it Again?
Best decision I ever made on a car. Even if something were to break, I know that the cost and reward when back together is well worth it. Not many get to drive a 700hp car everyday.

My Story-leading to A&A(Read if you’d like)

I have lusted over the C5 Z06 since it came out in 2001. As a kid, I would go to the dealership with my dad almost every day on way back from school to look at it. Eventually the owner of the dealership let me sit in it. It all was set at that moment. When I was finally able to afford one I had gone through many car projects, pushing to make racier, faster, funner. What I loved about the Z06 is that it was already better than these in every way. I knew about superchargers and the long history of being used on the LS engine. So I began to look into them. But the best decision I made was to go to A&A.

I had actually talked to Andy at A&A some time before getting the supercharger. I wanted to get a skip shift eliminated and he offered to meet me over the weekend for a quick fix. Andy is that tuner, business owner that you want to deal with. He will answer your questions and will treat you as an important customer.

After deliberating over what charger to go with I decided I was going to drive to A&A which was only 45 minutes from me to see firsthand the work they were doing. I went there with the idea that I was going to get the procharger kit. I left deciding I wanted A&A. They provide support, they are close to me, they personally tune the car. I loved the quality of the components and the thought behind the kit. I do not and did not want a 1200hp monster that I could drive a few times a month. I wanted a car that I could commute with, drive in rain, use 91 octane CA gas, and not worry about every piece of my car breaking.

I decided to have A&A install the kit for one reason: Peace of mind. I had done soooooo many car projects; everything from motor work (rebuilding) to suspension work to custom race equipment. For the price Andy gave me to install it was a no brainer. They have installed tons of kits, know what to look for and how to properly position everything. When I visited A&A someone who had installed it themselves (give them credit no doubt) had scratched the supercharger and piping. What I wanted to do is drive a car that I know was done right. I wanted to enjoy my Z06 this time more than work on it. Enjoying it is what I am doing

Thanks for reading, and if you happen to hear a woosh and see a black c5 Z06 in so cal, say hi. I wave at all corvettes and keep the tradition going.

The following 4 users liked this post by mooksz06:
50 ANV C5 (01-05-2022), LeoLivinLife (06-11-2020), Naturally Vain (07-31-2018), Ztaylor (02-01-2023)
Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Great story!

Great power!

Great looking car!

Great decision to go with A&A!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Great story!

Great power!

Great looking car!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Awesome story, great choice of mods as well, your car is very well put together!

I'm excited about my decision to supercharge my car to this day as well. I haven't had a single problem with my A&A kit and I love the fit and finish.

I had to LOL at the cars you have embarrassed. When I first put my kit on and got it tuned I raced everything that even looked my way, never gets old.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
1badc5GoStrong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Am Next

Getting A&A installed now. I am going with the self contained unit. Other additions are: Monster stage3 clutch, shorth throw shifter and of course tune. I can wait.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
evo2ls1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post any track times if you go!
I have been thinking about this kit for my 99 FRC but havent seen many track times posted and the ones I have seen are either 100 hp cars of bolt on blower only dynoing crazy power and running 12's so I hear great thinks about the kit and power just never any track times., which is what I am interested in.
Great story and enjoy your car!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Great story. Loved reading it. It is EXACTLY how I feel about installing the A&A Kit in my own Z.....

I have been all SMILES ever since

The kit has not given me even the slightest hicup or problem. Fit and finish is excellent.

Power is AMAZING

Best money I have spent on my car to date

Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Great story!

Great power!

Great looking car!

Hey thanks so much! Laughing that I think I have a lot of power when your car has more than double keeps things in perspective. Thanks again
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Milan
Awesome story, great choice of mods as well, your car is very well put together!

I'm excited about my decision to supercharge my car to this day as well. I haven't had a single problem with my A&A kit and I love the fit and finish.

I had to LOL at the cars you have embarrassed. When I first put my kit on and got it tuned I raced everything that even looked my way, never gets old.
I know man. I catch myself looking at hid headlights behind me on freeway, hoping I get something good.. Hahha but I guess your right, it probably won't get old. The look on their faces is priceless.
Cheers man
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

I agree - the best decision you ever made despite buying a Vette in the first place = 2 Best decisions!

Proof is in the pudding! You're living it now!

Congrats

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evo2ls1
Post any track times if you go!
I have been thinking about this kit for my 99 FRC but havent seen many track times posted and the ones I have seen are either 100 hp cars of bolt on blower only dynoing crazy power and running 12's so I hear great thinks about the kit and power just never any track times., which is what I am interested in.
Great story and enjoy your car!
Haven't had a chance yet but can say that stopwatch test (unscientific I know) verified close to 3 flat 60 mph run. I a, running the nitto nt555rii which hooks really well. I would suggest anyone getting this power to go with at least these tires. Regular tires are like jelly.

If I go to track I will post. If anyone would like, I could post some comparison times like 60 to 100 or other ranges. I used to be into bimmers and all comparisons were done like this. I would imagine its ridiculously fast in these ranges. Launching is driver involved so may vary
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (06-11-2020)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RaW Z06
Great story. Loved reading it. It is EXACTLY how I feel about installing the A&A Kit in my own Z.....

I have been all SMILES ever since

The kit has not given me even the slightest hicup or problem. Fit and finish is excellent.

Power is AMAZING

Best money I have spent on my car to date

hey your close by the way. I never know when meets are but it would be fun to have a meet with guys with A&A kits. I actually saw your car posting and you made great power as well. It's funny because now I can't believe how slow the car was before

It's probably the first upgrade I have done where I am completely satisfied. I agree best money I spent on any of my cars ever!
Love yellow btw. Always loved it!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mooksz06
Hey thanks so much! Laughing that I think I have a lot of power when your car has more than double keeps things in perspective. Thanks again
It's a disease with no cure. I just try to keep it at bay.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 PM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Awesome!

Is it possible to hit 599 bone stock blower only. Never heard of that....

Either way enjoy
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 PM
mooksz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4SFED Z
Awesome!

Is it possible to hit 599 bone stock blower only. Never heard of that....

Either way enjoy
I sure didn't think so! I thought I would make 550 but I guess I was lucky. More than the max number (peak) take a look at torque and compare to others. That is a **** ton for a centrifugal on a stock ls6. I actually started thinking maybe something was done but I checked the block and head and all is original. I bought the car with 50k miles and it was stock. As far as a cam I never did and the car never drive or idled like it had a cam.

Also, Andy was surprised but said sometimes some engines just make more! He tuned it really well and kept timing super safe at 12 degrees. I can't even imagine what it would have with meth, headers, increased timing, cats, and cam! Who needs it when the car has this much power though. At least for now

If anyone wants pics of anything else to verify don't mind. Thanks again
Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running a BAP to make that much power? Nice numbers.

BTW- I have EXACTLY the same label on my driver's side mirror. Have embarrassed some VERY expensive German machinery over here, including 997 GT3 RS (nice car, had a ride in it, but $150k? Really?) and several new M3's. I almost feel bad for the M3 guys, they have the BMW POWER sticky banners on the top of their windscreen and all and all they ever see is taillights...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

All that power is a blast, A&A rocks

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged A&A Best Decision Ever

Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 AM
bearcatt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds great! Congrats..
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette8189
me to

Quick Reply: Supercharged A&A Best Decision Ever