C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing your methanol injection system how to

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Testing your methanol injection system how to

This is how I test the Alky Control system on the cars that come to me.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 02-15-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Venomized03
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I lived close to you lol... Id feel so much safer b/c Id pay you to always look over my car
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

It's not too late to move. This test is easy and doesn't take long to set up.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM
LB
Melting Slicks

I was seeing about 135 psi running two 15 jets.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always just pushed my meth test button after turning the meth up and if the car bogged it worked.

Also during a run if the meth LED does not turn green I know to let out.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

What are you talking about? Your car rides out!! Remember I was there when you ran the Supra..

Originally Posted by Venomized03
I wish I lived close to you lol... Id feel so much safer b/c Id pay you to always look over my car
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Very nice fail safe way of fully testing the kit

Obviously the meth system you used was hooked up to the Manifold MAP sensor and not a stand alone 2 BAR MAP sensor, like you can get from Julio! Correct?

The others like myself, would I have to do this test on my stand alone 2 BAR Sensor? Or correct me if I am wrong

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Very nice fail safe way of fully testing the kit

Obviously the meth system you used was hooked up to the Manifold MAP sensor and not a stand alone 2 BAR MAP sensor, like you can get from Julio! Correct?

The others like myself, would I have to do this test on my stand alone 2 BAR Sensor? Or correct me if I am wrong

Thanks,Matt
It's Julio's kit, yes. I choose to use the manifold sensor when I'm doing a speed density setup because there's no sense in buying a 2-bar MAP and power supply from him when you're running a 2-bar sensor on the car and can simply tap into the signal wire. It saves quite a bit when you do it that way and it makes the installation of the Alky kit much easier.
You're correct, the only thing that you would have to change is you would grab the vacuum line feeding that other 2-bar MAP and apply pressure to it.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
I always just pushed my meth test button after turning the meth up and if the car bogged it worked.

Also during a run if the meth LED does not turn green I know to let out.
The only issue with that is that pressure will degrade over time. This allows you to get a benchmark and for your system and create a known trend. If you get 150psi and then all of the sudden all you can get is 125, then you need to investigate by checking your electrical connections and possibly send the pump in for a rebuild.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by LB
I was seeing about 135 psi running two 15 jets.
Pressure will fall with increased volume. The pressure also varies with input voltage. If you have the engine/alternator running and test it with the higher input voltage, you can expect a resulting higher pressure.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 PM
LB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Pressure will fall with increased volume. The pressure also varies with input voltage. If you have the engine/alternator running and test it with the higher input voltage, you can expect a resulting higher pressure.
Maybe I should put a boost-a-pump on the meth pump

Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
I do the same! Don't know the pressure, but it works
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

On the Alky control kit, doesnt the LED turn green when the discharge line is at a certain pressure? (like 150 psi or something?)

I usually just hit the test button and listen for the bog as well, then watch for the green light...

I suppose it would be a good idea to pressure test the pump since it is 5 years old.... I do know when I pull the nozzle out and this the test botton it will fog my garage.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
On the Alky control kit, doesnt the LED turn green when the discharge line is at a certain pressure? (like 150 psi or something?)

I usually just hit the test button and listen for the bog as well, then watch for the green light...

I suppose it would be a good idea to pressure test the pump since it is 5 years old.... I do know when I pull the nozzle out and this the test botton it will fog my garage.
Julio says there is a 50psi sensor in the head of the pump to let the driver know the pump has reached that pressure, however you don't know if you've achieved the typical 150+ psi that the pump typically runs when it's wide open and this will help you determine that. As you'll see Julio's comment on page 2, if you're running a meth-reliant tune and lose 100psi, you could find yourself in some trouble. The only thing better than I see mentioned is putting a high pressure sensor on and logging it.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 02-23-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: clarification from Julio and other members after this post
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
It's Julio's kit, yes. I choose to use the manifold sensor when I'm doing a speed density setup because there's no sense in buying a 2-bar MAP and power supply from him when you're running a 2-bar sensor on the car and can simply tap into the signal wire. It saves quite a bit when you do it that way and it makes the installation of the Alky kit much easier.
You're correct, the only thing that you would have to change is you would grab the vacuum line feeding that other 2-bar MAP and apply pressure to it.
I know Brett I was pulling your leg

I had mine that way but at one point when the Meth system was set to off it back fed to the 2BAR and wouldn't allow the Vette to start and run - it was kinda crazy but for one reason or another it did it -

I went over with it with Julio and the best thing at that point was to separate it and do a stand alone one

Could not find out why it back fed voltage(checked all connections, ground etc) but once it was turned back on to one of the on settings (#3) all was fine and the MAP got the correct voltage

"BUT" I must say your test set-up is superb and might give it a whirl once I am bck up and running Thanks for the write-up and excellent pics to go along with it

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
I know Brett I was pulling your leg

I had mine that way but at one point when the Meth system was set to off it back fed to the 2BAR and wouldn't allow the Vette to start and run - it was kinda crazy but for one reason or another it did it -

I went over with it with Julio and the best thing at that point was to separate it and do a stand alone one

Could not find out why it back fed voltage(checked all connections, ground etc) but once it was turned back on to one of the on settings (#3) all was fine and the MAP got the correct voltage

"BUT" I must say your test set-up is superb and might give it a whirl once I am bck up and running Thanks for the write-up and excellent pics to go along with it

Thanks,Matt
My leg goes numb sometimes and I can't feel it getting pulled.

It's a legit question that others might want to hear the details anyways.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

For peace of mind I would have any pump over 2 years old rebuilt or replaced.

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Get notified of new replies

To Testing your methanol injection system how to

Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I purchased a pressure transducer from Julio awhile back. I can log the pressure in the meth line along with all the other stuff through HP Tuner. You can also get a gauge to hook it up to.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bret, just for a reference, when my meth pump was corroded and went bad, the green LED would never come on.

I still think this test you do it a GREAT idea.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
LB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike04
I purchased a pressure transducer from Julio awhile back. I can log the pressure in the meth line along with all the other stuff through HP Tuner. You can also get a gauge to hook it up to.
So Julio has some way to communicate pressure readings with HP Tuners ?

Quick Reply: Testing your methanol injection system how to