C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:22 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need advice

I have a 98 C5 with a non intercooled maggie,. Got on her hard last night and the belt jumped one rib back on only the alternator. I have the early version of ECS heavy duty tensioner.

CAN I ,,,use a manual tensioner or the new version of ECS tenstionr without any issue with teh breakage prone early power steering idler pully bracket.

I am kinda wanting to go with a manual tensioer..As the car dont get much use and i am a lunatic with maintenance.

oh,,,,corvette gurus,,advice.....this has only happened one time and it was only one slot back and only on the alternator..( I have the non clutch alt pulley)

I dont want a belt issue....ever.

thanks,
Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I would not suggest using a manual tensioner with a supercharged application. Belts will stretch over time and then you will have slip. We have made in the past an alternator pulley with higher sides to keep the belt from moving. We found that the maggies are the only ones who will sometimes flip the belt off on the alternator. We have had no issues after we used the pulley with the high sides.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 PM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
I would not suggest using a manual tensioner with a supercharged application. Belts will stretch over time and then you will have slip. We have made in the past an alternator pulley with higher sides to keep the belt from moving. We found that the maggies are the only ones who will sometimes flip the belt off on the alternator. We have had no issues after we used the pulley with the high sides.
CHRIS,,,,thanks,, you guys rock,, I shoud have bought your system ,, but,,,Dynotech was just up the road. I do have your tensioner,,

DO you have any tall lip pulleys??? ( BTW,,,if belt strech is the only issue,,,you can run a manual tensioner??? I have no problem checking belt tension as this is no daily driver for me. )

thanks, a lot,, at least its a easy fix for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by wrustywrench
CHRIS,,,,thanks,, you guys rock,, I shoud have bought your system ,, but,,,Dynotech was just up the road. I do have your tensioner,,

DO you have any tall lip pulleys??? ( BTW,,,if belt strech is the only issue,,,you can run a manual tensioner??? I have no problem checking belt tension as this is no daily driver for me. )

thanks, a lot,, at least its a easy fix for me.
Give me a call when you get a free chance, we can discuss some options for ya..
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Give me a call when you get a free chance, we can discuss some options for ya..
Chris,,,Ill call ya, FWIW,, I just had a dude give me a new GEM?? billet belt tensioer, can I try it with no ill effects if I dont over tighten it

Get notified of new replies

To need advice

Quick Reply: need advice