C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys I need your help Desperately with this belt issue im having. Two belts down :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Guys I need your help Desperately with this belt issue im having. Two belts down :(

In a nut shell, I as of today have shred two gates belts. The first was the Green line one, then the full green belt “HD” version.

The engine has a flip drive and still has the A/C compressor and none of those belts are falling or giving me any problems. I also don’t have a pulley laser alignment tool.

Im been playing with different shims on the bolts/spacers that bolt down the bracket to move the blower back and forth, but that’s not helping.

At this point im getting fed up, so now im turning to you guys for help.

If anyone has an alignment tool I could rent that would help me out a bunch. I could paypal a deposit and once you receive the tool back you could send the deposit back minus the renters fee.

Roger
Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Is it jumping a rib before it shreds? Is it a new kit or has it been working up until recently? Any changes? Does the crank pulley seem like it's tracking straight or is it wobbling?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What brand balancer?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Ill lend you mine. I cant ship it till Saturday or so. I just caled the laser and its on the money so it will be good to go out of the box. PM me. But before you go thru all this trouble what kit do you have? Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being the spacers not milled correctly. Now its money! Do you have a digital caliper? Do you know the specs of your kit? Didnt you powder coat the brackets? Did you make up the difference? Blowers can be a PITA when it comes to crap like this.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Is it jumping a rib before it shreds? Is it a new kit or has it been working up until recently? Any changes? Does the crank pulley seem like it's tracking straight or is it wobbling?
I really can't tell if it's jumping the ribs as its fine one moment then it's falling apart after some runs.

The head unit is old, the bracket and balancer are new.

The crank balancer is straight.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by Its Bruce
What brand balancer?
The balancer is from power bond
Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Ill lend you mine. I cant ship it till Saturday or so. I just caled the laser and its on the money so it will be good to go out of the box. PM me. But before you go thru all this trouble what kit do you have? Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being the spacers not milled correctly. Now its money! Do you have a digital caliper? Do you know the specs of your kit? Didnt you powder coat the brackets? Did you make up the difference? Blowers can be a PITA when it comes to crap like this.
Thanks, well the powder coating was very light. I sent a pm.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post pics of each pulley showing how it is seated on the shaft. I just removed my 8-rib from my A&A kit. I had issues at first until I compared the new pulleys to the factory ones. They basically all go on within a hair of bottoming out. I never laser aligned, and I never threw a belt in 2 years.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What water pump is on the car? Is it a gm one or aftermarket replacement? My tuner had a similar issue with a car doing the same thing. Turns out it had a generic parts house pump and they are different. Put a gm pump on it and no more belt issues.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:26 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Have you been driving it hard, or just cruising around and it breaks?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmuck
What water pump is on the car? Is it a gm one or aftermarket replacement? My tuner had a similar issue with a car doing the same thing. Turns out it had a generic parts house pump and they are different. Put a gm pump on it and no more belt issues.
Stock pump
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 PM
regorih
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Have you been driving it hard, or just cruising around and it breaks?
Mostly from cruising
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm betting its from the powder coat. I've seen this happen with other guys in the past. It doesn't take much at all to get everything out of whack and any decent p/coat no matter how thin, is enough to cause issues. Hopefully this isn't the case for you though.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

A simple straight edge is a cheap and easy, and also very accurate alignment tool.

And to add, a straight edge can be used with the belt off, or installed.

the typical laser alignment tools cannot.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
gottraction
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the gates HD regarded as the best 8 rib blower belt?
As I blower noob,I just shredded my first belt Sunday. I would also be interested in some in depth instructions on belt alignment using Stevie's straight edge method while I have no belt on.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

what kit? Be careful that you didn't put the bracket standoffs in the wrong places if its the A&A kit as even though they look similar they are differnt lengths and are only supposed to go int certain areas. The pullies lshould look all aligned when looking down to the crank from the blower pulley. Also stand on the drivers side of the car and make sure the bracket looks perfectly straight snd not cocked out to one side as that would mean the stand-offs are wrong. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Guys I need your help Desperately with this belt issue im having. Two belts down :(

Quick Reply: Guys I need your help Desperately with this belt issue im having. Two belts down :(