C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Z, 370 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 02 Z, 370 build

After having a good run with my stock long block and A&A YSi kit making around 700rwhp, pistons #5 & #7 decided not to play nice anymore. All other cylinders were in the 180 range and those two well under 100. Such is the life.

So onto something bigger and better.

370 6.0 iron block with Weisco pistons, 1/2" head studs.
PRC 237 heads with 675 spring upgrade
Precision Metal Craft intake
Custom Comp cam. Spec'd by XP Racing.
2" American Racing headers and X pipe, dual electric cut outs and keeping my 2.5" B&B PRT mufflers.

Breather system: -10 fitting in each valve cover. -10 line to its own
Moroso vented catch can. Elite Engineering catch can between the valley cover and intake.

Fuel system:
Magnafuel Boost ref. reg.
Magnafuel 4303 pump
Bosch in-tank
XP Racing fuel tank ring (essentially a sump)
Russell -10 twist loc black fuel lines for feed and return
Aeromotive filters
ID2000 injectors

Keeping the A&A kit
2.70 pulley
Dallas Performance direct drive using my 8 rib pullies.
3.5" mandrel bent piping to replace silcone piping from blower to i/cooler.

LPE mini tub
345/35/18 m/t's.

I'll also be doing a lot of clean up work in the engine bay and under the car. P/coating the cradles, repaint the frame rails in the engine bay, P/coating a lot of parts etc, etc.

SD tune from Brett at XP Racing in OKC.

Couple pics from the tear down so far.

Last edited by jmuck; 10-09-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Got a few parts already and am waiting on more to show up. I will be replacing all the engine sensors with new ones just for a peace of mind to.

Stanley Morton machine shop in Tulsa will be handling all the machine work on the block and Folks Machine in Norman will take care of the balancing of the rotating assembly.

Why two different machine shops? B/c Folks doesn't drill for 1/2" head studs and I won't have all the bottom end parts here in time for when I take the block to have it worked over.

I plan to dress it up a bit before it goes back together. The intake will be a satin finish and using a matte black p/coat on the below parts.

Valve covers, i/cooler piping, alt. bracket, alternator, water pump housing, 4" blower inlet, valley cover, and any other item I can think of. I may try and have the exposed faces of the blower brackets done too, not real sure yet though.

Next goal is to get the engine and trans out of the car early next week so I can start installing the fuel system.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Double check your cam bearings. Good machine shop never had any problems everything within spec. Spent alot of money with him on my LT1. Sounds like a killer build btw.

Last edited by SBCGENII; 09-16-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:55 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Double check your cam bearings. Good machine shop never had any problems everything within spec. Spent alot of money with him on my LT1.
I'll be installing the cam bearings.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

How long did she last at that level of power? Brett is retuning mine as soon as I get this clutch broken in.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChrisRTA
How long did she last at that level of power? Brett is retuning mine as soon as I get this clutch broken in.
I've had it running since March 17th. But I have ripped on this thing since its been together. Between 3 straight nights of 170+ plus runs at TX2K11, Mexico runs pretty much every other weekend and all the around town "spirited" runs I didn't expect it too last all that long. This thing saw 7K every time it was driven. And the car still felt just as strong and I could still be driving it. I just couldn't stand the amount of smoke coming from my breathers and after the compression test showed what my gut was telling me, I decided to go ahead and tear into it.

It made 690 at 13lbs on the dyno. It was seeing almost 16lbs on the street.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jmuck
I've had it running since March 17th. But I have ripped on this thing since its been together. Between 3 straight nights of 170+ plus runs at TX2K11, Mexico runs pretty much every other weekend and all the around town "spirited" runs I didn't expect it too last all that long. This thing saw 7K every time it was driven. And the car still felt just as strong and I could still be driving it. I just couldn't stand the amount of smoke coming from my breathers and after the compression test showed what my gut was telling me, I decided to go ahead and tear into it.

It made 690 at 13lbs on the dyno. It was seeing almost 16lbs on the street.
That is great to hear that it held together that long under that amount of pressure. Can't wait to see the number when the new build is together. I will be sure to post mine in a couple weeks.

Which wheels are you going to run with the LPE mini tub and which are you running now? Was traction a big issue for you at the old power level?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Who did your tune? What fuel were you using?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

And that's why I'm not mad about it being down. I can't really put into words how I beat on it. Not in a bad way, I just drove it like they should be.

I'm running a set of IForged flux's. 18x11 rears with 305/35/18 m/t et streets. Traction below 50mph was non existent with out a real burnout. But it was manageable, just took a lot of right foot work.

I'm keeping the same wheels, just going with the bigger tires. I'll be adding PFadt coil overs this winter to help out some.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Milan
Who did your tune? What fuel were you using?
XP racing in OKC. The tune did not cause this to happen, abuse on my part, if you can call having a ball abuse.
I was running 91 with a 70/30 meth mix with 17* in it. Oil changed every 2K. The week before I discovered the issue, I had a day where I drove it to work and the meth tank was empty. I'm sure I probably got into boost a lil too much, but who knows. Like I said, the car still felt very strong, only sign was the amount of smoke coming from the breathers and the compression test.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Good stuff man. I'm about ready to post up a build thread.
Finishing up a friend's car and starting on mine real soon.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:05 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Hopefully it'll make some decent power.

I've been waiting on your thread. Wish I could've gone with a lsx or rhs block, but with a baby 9 weeks away, had to trim the budget. Haha
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

The real tear down finally starts tonight. Got the car loaded up and I'll have the engine and trans out tonight so I can get the parts to the machine shop. After its back home, time to start on the fuel system and clean up.

Crummy pic I snapped this morning after I got to work. I never noticed that the wheel centers and bottom valance match the truck,
Old 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

After getting my *** kicked by the car last night, the engine is finally out. Don't know why, but it did. Had hell getting the pass side upper control arm bolts back in. Managed to get 2 of them in and a 3rd started, hopefully I can get them right next time I work on the car.

No guts:

Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Not a lot going on. Been cleaning up a lot of the pieces and waiting on others to show up. Pistons and rods are here. 1/2" head studs will be here next week along with some fuel system parts.

I did get all my accessories cleaned up and painted:

And here's what I found when I got the oil pan off.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

First time I noticed the truck. Yours? Bad ***.

What's that in the oil pan? Valve seals?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
First time I noticed the truck. Yours? Bad ***.

What's that in the oil pan? Valve seals?
Yea, its my daily beater

Good eye. It is valve seal material. I had a bad smoking issue so I replaced all the valve seals. Once we pulled the springs off and noticed most of them were missing, we knew something was up. Oil psi never dropped and all the bearings looks good still, i'm kinda amazed at that fact. I'm still not real sure what caused that to happen though.

I was curious what cam lobes your using in your new build? Or is that secret squirrel info? I was kinda shocked at what Comp recommended to us to use.

Get notified of new replies

To 02 Z, 370 build

Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

How did the #5/7 pistons look? Toast?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajrothm
How did the #5/7 pistons look? Toast?
They're junk. Haha. Both of em broke between the top 2 rings. Guess I just found their limit, no signs of detonation.

Here's some pics. I took these after I pulled the pieces out. You had to really look to see the cracks. Just took a slight nudge of a flat head to get the pieces to fall out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jmuck; 10-01-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
jmuck
Burning Brakes

While I was at it I also got a large portion of the wiring harness cleaned. Stripped and rewrapped. I'm waiting on my techflex loom to show up so I can get that done.

And of course boring pics.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Hopefully in two weeks the block and rotating assembly will go to the machine shop. Stanley in Tulsa will be doing all the work after all. Mainly bc I decided to drop te compression down to 9.5:1 instead of the 10.0:1 I originally planned on and the weisco's were on the shelf.

Quick Reply: 02 Z, 370 build