C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h/c VS s/c!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 10:55 PM
DCDeCell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h/c VS s/c!

Which is better, a supercharger or good heads/cam package? it seems like a lotta people with head/cam (notably cartek X package) are making a lot of the same horsepower as those w/ supercharger, but for less dough and keeping it N/A. wuddya think?? :confused:
Old 05-01-2002, 12:23 AM
LegendNH
Melting Slicks

Default Re: h/c VS s/c!

I don't know the answer but I sure would like to know what kind of heads and cam swap they are doing to achieve that kind of power. I am looking at getting a s/c but if I could get the same power N/A then I would rather do that and wait a little bit before I get the s/c on top of that.

What heads/cam are you taking about and how much?
Old 05-01-2002, 01:23 AM
VERTVETTE
Drifting

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (LegendNH)

It will take more than a H/C package to match a S/C hp and if done by a pro I found it will not be a hole lot cheaper.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (DCDeCell)

What's the URL for that website selling the Cartek X package?
Old 05-01-2002, 11:17 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (VERTVETTE)

It will take more than a H/C package to match a S/C hp and if done by a pro I found it will not be a hole lot cheaper.
Thats what I've always thought. I don't think I've ever come across a H/C package that can deliver what something like the ATI S/C produces. That doesn't mean there isn't one but I would suspect it would be lots of $$$.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Joe C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (MarkFLC5)

It really all depends on what you want to do. Both ways will work in terms of getting a lot of power. A Supercharger will in then ultimately get you more HP. However some people prefer to keep their car N/A. Also reliability comes into play. Some people say superchargers are super reliable others do not. A H/C package will most likely never cause you any problems.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Jbrady
Instructor

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (Joe C5 Coupe)

This depends on your goals.

H/C packages typically make between 375rwhp and 425rwhp with torque being a little less. The higher the output the more radical the car becomes. Long duration camshafts produce impressive peak HP numbers but make for rough idle, poor emmissions and poor fuel economy. That said if your ultimate goal is 400rwhp a H/C package is probably the cheapest way to get their (not including NO2). Of course very few of us can stop at 400rwhp!!! ;)

Superchargers and turbochargers have the advantage of keeping the stock cam and or heads while still making 400-500rwhp with similar torque. Turbos are the most stealthy as they are very quiet and can make insane power. They are also the most complex and costly.

Superchargers are the easiest to install of these 3 choices and make excellent power. The head units do not have the durability of turbos and the drives tend to be noisy and even grindy at idle. They do make great power and the car can be put back to near stock easier than the other choices. This can be important if warranty issues arise.

Do remember, when you decide you want killer power... you will be getting a car that requires MORE care and maintenance (read MONEY) than a factory stocker. I read many times about someone complaining about how hard this ownership can be. I LOVE power adder cars but understand the entire cost of ownership.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:00 PM
DCDeCell
Intermediate

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (ImAgE)

If you go to http://www.cartek.net and click on the first picture on the left, of i think a black corvette. that'll get you to a site with #'s on a Stage 2 X Package. I think C5_Pig has one, and i know people with the X package have been getting consistent LOW 11's/HIGH 10's with this package. complete package i would guess to be less than 4 grand INCLUDING installation and all that good stuff.

also, check out this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...threadid=14489
if you go to page 2, the owner of Cartek chimes in and claims 450 RWhp and 410 RWtq for the package. ALL this, for less money, keeping it N/A AND usually allows for a higher rev limiter (around 6900). Hoo-Ray! :cool: :cheers:

another link:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=286098
OK well the link doesn't work, u can write it into the Adress thing or just go to the Z06 forum and scroll down a bit...hard to miss!
talks about X package! :):):)

[Modified by DCDeCell, 1:14 AM 5/2/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 08:59 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (DCDeCell)

SC ... will give you the power .... but H/C may be more reliable ...

I opted for TT's since they give both ... but currently they are fairly expensive and such ... I would recommend the LPE MagnaCharger ... it rocks ... I saw one when I picked up my car and it is a quality piece...
Old 05-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (NewVetteLover)

But doesn't the H/C make it much rougher? What about both H/C and Twin turbos?
Old 05-02-2002, 02:25 PM
LegendNH
Melting Slicks

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (Jbrady)

This depends on your goals.

H/C packages typically make between 375rwhp and 425rwhp with torque being a little less. The higher the output the more radical the car becomes. Long duration camshafts produce impressive peak HP numbers but make for rough idle, poor emmissions and poor fuel economy. That said if your ultimate goal is 400rwhp a H/C package is probably the cheapest way to get their (not including NO2). Of course very few of us can stop at 400rwhp!!! ;)

Superchargers and turbochargers have the advantage of keeping the stock cam and or heads while still making 400-500rwhp with similar torque. Turbos are the most stealthy as they are very quiet and can make insane power. They are also the most complex and costly.

Superchargers are the easiest to install of these 3 choices and make excellent power. The head units do not have the durability of turbos and the drives tend to be noisy and even grindy at idle. They do make great power and the car can be put back to near stock easier than the other choices. This can be important if warranty issues arise.

Do remember, when you decide you want killer power... you will be getting a car that requires MORE care and maintenance (read MONEY) than a factory stocker. I read many times about someone complaining about how hard this ownership can be. I LOVE power adder cars but understand the entire cost of ownership.
what kind of headers and cam would you recommend for a nice hp gain? I don't want anything ruff on the car that will kill my mpg but some more power would be nice. Approx. how much would they cost. I want a s/c in the future but I would like to keep the car N/A for a little longer.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:39 PM
1990bevile
Racer

Default Re: h/c VS s/c! (LegendNH)

Im pretty sure there are superchargers in the 480 rwhp range. Figure the ATI makes more then the magnuson and even that makes 500flywheel (425rwhp?) so a few more lbs of boost with the ATI probably makes a lot more hp.

Also most of the top head cam cars seem to be in the 440rwhp range.

[Modified by 1990bevile, 10:40 PM 5/3/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To h/c VS s/c!

Quick Reply: h/c VS s/c!