C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The True FI crankcase evac solution!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Most of us SC guys are spraying meth like crazy so no need for sea foam
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Milan is correct. Meth injection does a great job of keeping things clean in addition to the lower IAT temps.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 PM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

What is the recommended configuration for an ls1 turbo? The valley cover does not have a nipple for a line to go to and there are three fittings on the valve covers, 2 on passenger side and one on driver side. Also, I saw mentioned before that someone's kit did not come with the bolt to bolt the catch can to the head, mine didn't either. May want to have your packaging people pay more attention when packaging. I know the bolt is cheap, but it is a PITA to have to run to the parts store and get the bolt when you are in the middle of the install, especially with the price of this kit...

I have looked at the revxtreme instruction, but that catch can it shows has 2 nipples...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by The Bat Car

To give credit to the GM engineers, they developed a good solution years ago but the "bean counters" nixed it as most car buyers will not accept another maintanance procedure and GM would not approve the added cost. The fact is most new car owners dont have a clue about the issue and just drive their cars.
what was their solution? you are correct in most not being aware of the issue
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Originally Posted by TinSecondRice
What is the recommended configuration for an ls1 turbo? The valley cover does not have a nipple for a line to go to and there are three fittings on the valve covers, 2 on passenger side and one on driver side. Also, I saw mentioned before that someone's kit did not come with the bolt to bolt the catch can to the head, mine didn't either. May want to have your packaging people pay more attention when packaging. I know the bolt is cheap, but it is a PITA to have to run to the parts store and get the bolt when you are in the middle of the install, especially with the price of this kit...

I have looked at the revxtreme instruction, but that catch can it shows has 2 nipples...
On a LS1 turbo you run one line from the drivers side valve cover from the nipple on the rear part to the center fitting on the can, then cap off the pass ide valve cover fittings both the front & rear one. The breather kit provides the filtered fresh make up air then. Then from the intake manifold passenger side of the snout (plastic) there is a vacuum nipple. Connect that to one of the outer fittings on the can (it is one of the dual checkvalves). The other checkvalve/outer fitting runs to as close to the turbo inlet as possible. Tap in a 1/4 NPT x 3/8" barb fitting so it is utilizing as much of the inlet side suction as possible. The closer the the air cleaner the less vacuum is realized.

The bolt should be included by RX, but we will make sure.

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
what was their solution? you are correct in most not being aware of the issue
Hi Steve,

Both GM & Ford designed very effective oil separating cans in the past....some even used a centrifuge type spin to separate and filter the contaminates out of the collected oil and returned it to the crankcase. All were nixed for one reason or another. If you look into the GM LLT V6 intake manifold they have molded in a 1 pint capture bowel just inside the snout that can be cleaned during service.

I have a early 60's maserati mistral and it has the motor used to race LeMans in the late 40's/50's and it has a factory oil separator that kept it out of the intake manifold for the power, but they reintrodced it to the crankcase not knowing back then all the harmful compounds that were produced.

On todays industrial diesels this is the most effective system developed to date:
http://www.alfalaval.com/about-us/pr...separator.aspx

Pricey but it is amazing.

Although these are used on huge idustrial diesels, the propblem & solution remains the same.

Here is an excerpt:

Catalytic fines, a hazardous by-product of the refining process, are a particular concern in dealing with these oils, as failure to remove them can lead to increased wear and permanent engine damage.

Lubricating and marine diesel oils, shown to the right on the scale (LO/TP = lube oil trunk piston engine, LO/XH = lube oil cross head engine, GO/MDO = gas oil/marine diesel oil), are of lower and more consistent density. While still complex and potentially impure, they have a known composition and can be handled by a less adaptive separator. The impurities involved are usually limited to soot and particles, and if water is present, it is generally only freshwater condensate.

Alfa Laval’s S- and P- separators approach this scale from opposite ends, as can be seen from the illustration above. By addressing oil treatment in this manner, Alfa Laval lets shipyards, engine builders and ship owners choose the level of performance and automation that matches their oil and application needs.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bat Car;157914884

Both GM & Ford designed very effective oil separating cans in the past....some even used a centrifuge type spin to separate and filter the contaminates out of the collected oil and returned it to the crankcase...
....On todays industrial diesels this is the most effective system developed to date:
[url
http://www.alfalaval.com/about-us/press/product-press/Pages/oil-treatment-with-the-new-p-separator.aspx[/url]
That's all dandy, but this thread isn't about separating contaminants like water from oil, except that a normal PCV system does that. We're mostly interested in keeping oil out of the intake charge.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 11-06-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

The Alfa Laval devices do all that.....and filter and clean the oil so it can be returned to the crankcase. They cost thousands to 10's of thousands though.

Ask any quesions on the affordable solutions and I can help.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you happen to have a pic of one mounted with an A&A SC?
I am interested but would like to see how this would mount.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default yes

This is the RX can on my 2005 C6.

Below is a link you can click for my install of the RX can

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...hg-vacuum.html

THANKS RAYZZZ MY CORVETTE LIKES MY MONEY

Old 11-09-2011, 03:07 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

How is it working out Ray? There are so many that have only 1/2 of the system addressed and none of the well know brand systems has even tried the systems we sent them free, they all deal with it by either eliminating the evacuation portion, or by sucking it into the head unit. Don't understand with such great designed kits they ignore this portion.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Is the black mounting bracket and bolt included in the kit?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

The bracket is included but the bolt is not. Any hardware store will carry it though.

Any color you want or polished is available, make sure to specify the A&A bracket when ordering and the dual valve can.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default great

Originally Posted by The Bat Car
How is it working out Ray? There are so many that have only 1/2 of the system addressed and none of the well know brand systems has even tried the systems we sent them free, they all deal with it by either eliminating the evacuation portion, or by sucking it into the head unit. Don't understand with such great designed kits they ignore this portion.

System is trouble free. I've not put many miles on it yet. I'll check for oil recovery when I get more miles on it. One thing I have noticed is that before the catch can when I just littley applied throttle to move the car slowely froward from a stop the idle would drop real low sometimes. After installing the catch can I've not noticed that happening.

MY INSTALL WRITE UP
I purchased the RX catch can and the filter for my 2005 C6 that has an A&A V3 supercharger and here's what I did (Thanks Tracey for doing a great job getting me the stuff). First thing I did before I started the install of the catch can was disconnect the hose that runs to the air filter and test to see how much vacuum was getting pulled with the A&A setup. When I tested for vacuum on the hose the gauge never moved at all, even under boost driving no vacuum. Then I did this next mod. First I modified a 1/2 plastic hose barb that I got from ACE Hardware.
Heres what it looked like before I drilled a hole in the air intake and installed it. A lot of sanding to smooth it up and I shortened the end that goes inside a little.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 124KB.

Drilled a hole and installed 90* plastic barb from inside out.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 93KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 152KB.

More on RX can. Next I tested the hose going to the barb with new setup and I now had 4 in Hg of vacuum with just a good couple of runs down the road at about 4 psi boost. I'm pretty sure it would pull more with some harder pulls under more boost. But I now had it pulling air and that was good enough for me to finish the install.

The bracket that came with the RX can to mount the can to the A&A supercharger bracket came raw so I needed to step it up so I sanded and polished it up. Barb in picture below was not finished to install at the time of this picture.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 216KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 221KB.

Next I ran a hose from the rear of the drivers side valve tran cover along the the firewall an under the passenger fuel rail cover and under supercharger bracket so that hose not visable until it came out under the catch can. This had a nice hidden cleaner look to me.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 255KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 174KB.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Three hoses go out from the RX catch can. A hose goes to the rear drivers side valve cover, to the intake manifold and then a hose goes to the air intake before the Vortech supercharger. I used Spectre 3/8 hose end clamps to make it look cool. A filter goes on the oil fill that has a valve in it as well.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 183KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 222KB.

I used 3/8 fuel hose for the RX catch can install. Hardest part was trying to get the 3/8 hose on the 1/2 plastic 90* even after I sanded it down and used it for this Mod. My wife was not at home so I heated the hose with the flames from are gas stove and it softened it up enough that I was able to get it to slide on the 1/2 plastic barb. Also a little vegetable oil for the lube.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info and pics. I will be placing an order for one soon.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzzz
Three hoses go out from the RX catch can. A hose goes to the rear drivers side valve cover, to the intake manifold and then a hose goes to the air intake before the Vortech supercharger. I used Spectre 3/8 hose end clamps to make it look cool. A filter goes on the oil fill that has a valve in it as well.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 183KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 222KB.

I used 3/8 fuel hose for the RX catch can install. Hardest part was trying to get the 3/8 hose on the 1/2 plastic 90* even after I sanded it down and used it for this Mod. My wife was not at home so I heated the hose with the flames from are gas stove and it softened it up enough that I was able to get it to slide on the 1/2 plastic barb. Also a little vegetable oil for the lube.

Very nice write up and pic,s, I am going to be looking at a new set up on this... Also agree the vette love my money also...

Get notified of new replies

To The True FI crankcase evac solution!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would a mild head/cam engine benefit from this set-up?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

If it is NA you would want the single valve system. Every modern car & light truck has oil ingestion issues in the intake air charge and can benefit from trapping the oil from entering.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Default intake to TB dia

miss up.

Last edited by helga203; 11-18-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: The True FI crankcase evac solution!