C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the RPM Tranny Billet flexplate/torque tube coupler and SFI bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Anyone using the RPM Tranny Billet flexplate/torque tube coupler and SFI bellhousing?

My car has a chatter/ clanking that started after I installed the billet coupler and SFI bellhousing from RPM. Sounds like a bolt setting on the header and kind of jingling around at idle. The stock coupler clamps onto the prop shaft this one doesn't. I'm thinking the splines might be a little loose.....

With a little rpm (load) it basically goes away.

Its shown at the bottom of the link;

http://rpmtransmissions.com/newproducts.html

Has anyone had to center the Quick Time SFI Bellhousing or was it a basic bolt on?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04
My car has a chatter/ clanking that started after I installed the billet coupler and SFI bellhousing from RPM. Sounds like a bolt setting on the header and kind of jingling around at idle. The stock coupler clamps onto the prop shaft this one doesn't. I'm thinking the splines might be a little loose.....

With a little rpm (load) it basically goes away.

Its shown at the bottom of the link;

http://rpmtransmissions.com/newproducts.html

Has anyone had to center the Quick Time SFI Bellhousing or was it a basic bolt on?
I just put back together with all above parts and I have the same noise. Man that bellhousing was a pain to get 2 bolts back in. The bellhosing comes out at the top into the firewall just a hair more. And not a hair to work with.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Originally Posted by robert miller
I just put back together with all above parts and I have the same noise. Man that bellhousing was a pain to get 2 bolts back in. The bellhosing comes out at the top into the firewall just a hair more. And not a hair to work with.
Definately a tight fit

Well, at least I'm not the only one with the noise. Sorry for your luck.... Did you notice any vibrations?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the SFI bell and flexplate with no noise issues. I previously inquired about the billet coupler, and TJ said yes it will jingle. There's no way to snug it with no clamp, so I passed on that.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Definately a tight fit

Well, at least I'm not the only one with the noise. Sorry for your luck.... Did you notice any vibrations?
I did the C6 Z06 cradle and all that, Level VII trans from them. The car runs and shifts like a dream better than ever.... No vibration at all none. I got cuplers from them I even did the drivline 3in drive shaft in the car when I had it down,,, All went back together like a glove.. RPM transmission rock todd and rodney and them guys are top of the line as far as any shop goes in my book.... Robert
Old 06-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

I have nothing but good things to say about RPM

Being it is after business hours on Friday, I wasn't able to get ahold of them to see what they had to say until monday. I guess there are some variences and tolerences from the prop shaft and coupler between all the cars it is designed to fit.

I know a few on the forum are running this setup and wondered what others are experiencing.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:40 PM
JR-CRUZN-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running the first billet coupler made for two years with all that other stuff and absolutely no problems or noises!!

JR & "The Barbie Vette"
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

I have nothing but good things to say about RPM

Being it is after business hours on Friday, I wasn't able to get ahold of them to see what they had to say until monday. I guess there are some variences and tolerences from the prop shaft and coupler between all the cars it is designed to fit.

I know a few on the forum are running this setup and wondered what others are experiencing.
Mike, I am running both of there rubber couplers, But the good one,s.. They told me not to run the other way. I did ask and at what he told me just went the way he said to go on the couples...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-CRUZN-C5
Been running the first billet coupler made for two years with all that other stuff and absolutely no problems or noises!!

JR & "The Barbie Vette"
Maybe your F1R is so loud you don't hear it But your supplier is our supplier also and every billet cone we have used rattle at idle. Mine rattles just like Mike described and has been fine for two years. We are working on having them made by a local supplier because of avaliability issues and I will look into making the spline fit have some changes.

Last edited by rodney@rpmtransmissions; 06-18-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
Maybe your F1R is so loud you don't hear it But your supplier is our supplier also and every billet cone we have used rattle at idle. Mine rattles just like Mike described and has been fine for two years. We are working on having them made by a local supplier because of avaliability issues and I will look into making the spline fit have some changes.
Rodney, Love the plate and all the trans work you guys did on the car. Man the main shaft in the trans now, that stuff looks diff than night and day. All of it went back like a dream. You guys are # 1 in my book..... Robert
Old 06-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

I got no rubber couples, PFADT Carbon fiber shaft solid mounts, which transmit everything. It started as low jingle and now it's gotten too loud. I'm going back to the stock coupler. My Ysi pale in comparisomn at ilde, give the car some gas and that SC and exhaust drowned out everthing for miles though

Rodney, if you are able to get a new design where the spines fit a little tighter let me know. The stock coupler doesn't give you a lot of confidence with high HP applications.

Also, have you had any of the SfI bellhousings needing to be centered at all or have they all been as easy as a bolt on?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
willig72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Would it be possible to have both mating parts teflon coated? If so wounder if that would help?

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I've bolted my Quicktime bellhousing up centered on the pegs each time and never had an issue. Been running it over a year and 100+ passes and I've had it in and out of the car a few times, each time just threw it on the alignment pegs and rolled
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

seems like you could tighten up the slack with some greese or coating?? anyone have ideas
Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by a/c man
seems like you could tighten up the slack with some greese or coating?? anyone have ideas
This way he can maybe feel better....Only kidding my friend. Just got the car out of the reline shop today. But with no exhaust from in front of the cradle and back sound bad azz at the red light but crap when giving it gas. Next stop muffler shop to get that done.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

A coating would have to wear out over time and grease would work until it was flung out at 7000 rpm. There has to be a fix, unfortunately the drive line has to be dropping each time something new is tried.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

We had a car in the shop with the exact same problem. It drove Jeff batty for a week.

Come to find out the headers were having a slight clearence issue with the bell housing (Quick time I thinks its called). Everytime he looked under the car, it looked fine. It was only when driving. We found it when the car was on an above ground dyno, and it was being driven. He crawled under the car, and noticed it. I dont know if this helps or not, but its worth a shot.

We also sold the same bellhousing to another member about a year and a half ago, and he called complaining that he had to modify it to make it work. Something was hitting the bellhousing. But I think he was running ebay headers??

I hope this helps you.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using the RPM Tranny Billet flexplate/torque tube coupler and SFI bellhousing?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

I've had the car on a lift while the jingling noise is happening, everything looks clear. Even used a pry bar on the harders to make sure.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have a quicktime bell housing on my manual car w/ kooks headers and had to grind down the bell housing a bit to clearance the headers.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I have a quicktime bell housing on my manual car w/ kooks headers and had to grind down the bell housing a bit to clearance the headers.
The one I got from you didnt have to do nothing with but man was one bad azz job getting two of the bolts in on the top and one more to the drivers side... All the parts went together like a dream my friends thanks for the help and the deal on them... Robert

Quick Reply: Anyone using the RPM Tranny Billet flexplate/torque tube coupler and SFI bellhousing?