C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual fuel injectors and fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default dual fuel injectors and fuel system

I've been thinking alot about this lately. going with a small set of primary injectors, and race gas or e85 on the secondaries.

it would allow easy calibration of part throttle and idle, and bring on a set of monster injectors with a wide band for the secondary.

looking at either a megasquirt 3 or if dollars allow a big stuff to be triggered by a hobbs switch when the boost comes on.

I know the folks at wheel to wheel did this with the "dual rotex" nova that they built and although expesive, I think it would be a great option.

now that there are more cas alum manifolds available, a nice single plain with dual rails would be pretty cool.

I'm looking to get to more power and take advantage of a wide band 02 for the WOT and leverage the factory system for the integration with the car

the ZR-1 and ford GT both use a "dual injector" strategy and I've always thought it was a really cool idea.

pump gas for the "primary" and pure alchy for the seconday is what I'd like to try. I have a pretty big alchy tank in the trunk already and room for more if needed.

any thoughts??
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Why not just get properly sized Injector Dynamics injectors?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
Why not just get properly sized Injector Dynamics injectors?
Other than saying you had it and the $$$ it would cost. To me the less parts the less something can go wrong.. Robert
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
LinearX
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the big complaints over the years has been idle quality/idle control with large injectors. I'm sure that has changed over time to some degree, but if idle control is still a major concern, then having a smaller set of injectors to idle and cruise on could be easier to control. Of course, the controlling ECM would also play a large part in that.

Doug Levin was doing something like this years ago with his supercharged Vipers. He had an extra injector or two that ran race gas into the intake tract to make up for the lack of fuel control in the ECM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There are quite a few in the Viper community that run a second injector per cylinder.

I've had good luck with the Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors for idle quality and over all performance. You might want to look into that brand, they make some monster size injectors.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
LinearX
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike04
There are quite a few in the Viper community that run a second injector per cylinder.

I've had good luck with the Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors for idle quality and over all performance. You might want to look into that brand, they make some monster size injectors.
Yeah, it is also popular in the drag racing world for big inch twin turbo cars running alcohol.

I know that idle quality was a big issue with Turbo Buicks back in the day, but I'm sure that injector quality and ECM control has come a long way. I like the KISS method, personally, and would only run a second set of injectors if there was just no other alternative.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04

I know BLOWNBLUEZ06 loves them and says best one,s he has ever used in the car. They make some giants in these. If I do any more to the car I am in high 90% at WOT in the 83 inj, I have now for sure will look at the 1000cc if I go to something diff... Robert
Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

We did this on the 3000Gt, it runs E85 for a primary "cheap" fuel, and pure Meth for a secondary. It was tuned with AEM EMS, which has procivions for extra injectors, including transition capabilities. It is possible, but kind of a headache to tune.

No HOB's switch though, run MegaSquirt with a boost reference, cap the fuel delivery on the primary's at "x" psi of boost, and start the MS bringing in the secondaries at the same point. SD tuning on both is almost a must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCocb...&feature=feedu

CK
Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Nothing new about 2 inj per cylinder.

I run a pair of 60lb's per cylinder in a modified carb intake. The ID1000's werent available when I put mine together.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 AM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Nothing new about 2 inj per cylinder.

I run a pair of 60lb's per cylinder in a modified carb intake. The ID1000's werent available when I put mine together.
How are you controling your second injectors? Is it through a standalone with a second fuel or piggy backed with the primary fuel?

CK
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
How are you controling your second injectors? Is it through a standalone with a second fuel or piggy backed with the primary fuel?

CK
My car is a conversion. I'm using a standalone ecu. I use a single fuel source.

I just opted for this as it was 100% full proof for any power level I might see, and would offer me no problems whatsoever in terms of low end fuelling.

Plus I already had 8 injectors, so overall cost wasnt massive to upgrade.

I had previously been using 8 x RC750's, but just didnt like them at all and I needed more fuel.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

this would primarily to run dual fuel. pump gas on the primary injectors, and methanol on the secondaries.

by having two fuel systems and two fuel tanks, curing the capacity and cold start issues is improved, and I can take advantage of the high octane of either methanol or race gas on the secondary fuel system with different tunes.

what I'm looking for is more info on the "hassle" of staged injectors

I'm only running 70 lb injectors now and it seems the cold start performance isn't that great with the wide band showing pretty rich so more tuning on those tables is likely needed.

also what would be the best intake manifold to take advantage of dual fuel rails

like to hear more about the best ECM strategy (stock plus a megasquirt) or just convert over to the megasquirt or bs3 or other computer system

I like the idea of wideband control to help with wot and tuning too.

wish the factory ecm could have an operating system update to run a wide band. that would be cool!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Doesnt EFILive already allow interaction with the wideband for tuning ?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Most all my experience with this is in standalone units like AEM EMS, that has provisions for both injectors, and can handle transitions between them. BUT..... In theory, all you would have to do is tune in SD, at a certain PSI (call it 8) anything above that flat line it so no additional fuel is added. Exactly the opposite on the MS, just zero out the fuel map until 8psi, then gradually add fuel. The only downside to this is if the secondary fuel system fails, the primary won't, and then you'll be hurtin.

CK
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
Most all my experience with this is in standalone units like AEM EMS, that has provisions for both injectors, and can handle transitions between them. BUT..... In theory, all you would have to do is tune in SD, at a certain PSI (call it 8) anything above that flat line it so no additional fuel is added. Exactly the opposite on the MS, just zero out the fuel map until 8psi, then gradually add fuel. The only downside to this is if the secondary fuel system fails, the primary won't, and then you'll be hurtin.

CK
Ive little experience with the factory PCM myself. All my tuning is done via standalone's

But I see no reason why your proposal would not work when using factory + standalone for a dual fuel system.
I think Parish the truck guy already does something similar though ?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

IMHO it's more things to screw up and there are lots of 1000+HP cars running around with Meth that drive just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To dual fuel injectors and fuel system

Quick Reply: dual fuel injectors and fuel system