C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Spring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Spring Issue

I pulled out from a stop sign driving home yesterday. Not in a hurry, Not on the gas or anything...when I shifted from 1st to 2nd at about 2500 rpm my engine went bang. There was a very loud tapping, engine misfiring, bad power, etc. I was only about four miles from home and limped there.

The oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature remained normal but there was a very loud tapping.

I took off the valve cover this morning on number seven piston a cap off the top valve spring is missing. It looks like the cap is pushed down into the spring. Everything is clean under the valve cover and the oil is clean on the dip stick. I removed the spark plug and there is no damage to it. I am thinking my piston is OK?

It appears that it is just the spring. Is this something that is easy to replace yourself?

Last edited by Blue Lightening; 06-04-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Lightening
I pulled out from a stop sign driving home yesterday. Not in a hurry, Not on the gas or anything...when I shifted from 1st to 2nd at about 2500 rpm my engine went bang. There was a very loud tapping, engine misfiring, bad power, etc. I was only about four miles from home and limped there.

The oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature remained normal but there was a very loud tapping.

I took off the valve cover this morning on number seven piston a cap off the top valve spring is missing. It looks like the cap is pushed down into the spring. Everything is clean under the valve cover and the oil is clean on the dip stick. I removed the spark plug and there is no damage to it. I am thinking my piston is OK?

It appears that it is just the spring. Is this something that is easy to replace yourself?

Get you a new one for it, if it just broke in half and you sure you got ALL the old parts. But if not you better start digging for them... Also make sure the top of your V/stem is ok also..

Last edited by robert miller; 06-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It would appear that you have a broken spring or retainer, remove the rocker and carefully lift the valve as high as you can.
Retain it and remove the spring and see if the valve will move freely up and down, if it does again retain it and pressurize the cylinder with air.
At this point you will find out if you have to remove the head, more then likely you have a bent valve.
Good luck.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:17 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
It would appear that you have a broken spring or retainer, remove the rocker and carefully lift the valve as high as you can.
Retain it and remove the spring and see if the valve will move freely up and down, if it does again retain it and pressurize the cylinder with air.
At this point you will find out if you have to remove the head, more then likely you have a bent valve.
Good luck.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Thanks......I have a compresser. Anyone know where to buy the fitting to attach the air?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

A good compression tester or leakdown tester will include what you need. If you haven't already dropped a valve and destroyed your motor, it tells me you have a bent valve. It's one of the only times a bent valve will be good news because it might have saved you a lot of money (probably so).
Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Got the valve spring off. It is broken at the very top of the spring. I can't find any evidence of the retainer clip...I shot air in thru the spark plug hole and can hear the air going out thru the headers...I am thinking I have to have a bent valve?

I know as a pilot if you get into trouble you climb, communicate, confess and comply. At this point I think I am in the same shape as a back yard repairman and should have my car towed to ECS or Pheonix Performance and have it fixed properly. I am thinking that all of the springs should be replaced? Any other advice?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

PAC time!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Milan
PAC time!
What is PAC Time ?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:55 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

PAC is a good brand of springs.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Spoke with Chris this morning, Looks like she is going to be heading to see the good doctors at ECS.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Spring Issue

Quick Reply: Valve Spring Issue