C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger tune question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Supercharger tune question?

If you install a Centrifigal Supercharger like an A&A vortech kit or ECS kit. Do you require a tune, or can you run it with the factory programming?

The reason I ask is that in California AB 2289 has become law. It is a plug into the ECU and visual check for smog. A sniffer test will no longer be used for 2000 and older OBD II cars. The law won't be implemented until 2013. At the moment there is a lot of speculation about what this all means to modified cars. Some people speculate that if the ECU isn't throwing any codes it will pass the smog. Others say that if there is an aftermarket tune, it will be detected and the car will fail smog. This is what has everyone worried. Even a stock LS1 can gain a performance inprovement from a tune. But while the supercharger may be CARB legal the tune isn't. The new smog legal reality may be you can have a supercharger on the engine, but you can't tune it.

So, can you run a supercharger without a tune?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Last edited by SDLS1Rider; 02-04-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

no, you must get a tune
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

How is an OBD2 scanner going to know if there is a tune on there?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Milan
How is an OBD2 scanner going to know if there is a tune on there?
http://www.mrtraffic.com/2011laws.htm
http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

There is a lot of speculation on the bill. One such speculation is that the new scanners will be improved over what we have now. They may be able to detect a tune. This is based on the conventional wisdom that California smog testing doesn't get easier, but harder. I'm just doing my homework, and being proactive.

Last edited by SDLS1Rider; 02-04-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
0Chris@HPS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Georgia, when you get an emissions test, they plug into the OBDII Port. I would not think that there is a way to tell if a tune has been altered. You can have 2 of the same model year vehicles and the tune file tables will vary.

Chris
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

You will need a tune.

There has been some speculation of the inspection station being able to see the segment number in the tune to see if it's stock or not. Basically a tune file in beta form adds up to a number, if anything is changed, it does not add up to the correct number.
There will have to be companies or an exemption for carb legal cars that have to be tuned with those products on them. IE, a supercharger. They will probably require a manual sniff test or something, but you will be able to pass. That will also only be on cars that are of the date started and newer from my understanding. So C5's will not have to adhere to that.

This is what I have been told from reliable sources, but please do not use this information as gospel, I'm waiting to find out what will happen too.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
You will need a tune.

There has been some speculation of the inspection station being able to see the segment number in the tune to see if it's stock or not. Basically a tune file in beta form adds up to a number, if anything is changed, it does not add up to the correct number.
There will have to be companies or an exemption for carb legal cars that have to be tuned with those products on them. IE, a supercharger. They will probably require a manual sniff test or something, but you will be able to pass. That will also only be on cars that are of the date started and newer from my understanding. So C5's will not have to adhere to that.

This is what I have been told from reliable sources, but please do not use this information as gospel, I'm waiting to find out what will happen too.
I appreciate your feedback. I'm sure you want to know the reality of this more than anyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger tune question?

Quick Reply: Supercharger tune question?