C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What SC do I go with???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What SC do I go with???

I know, personal preference, but I would like to hear from you guys, this is where I get my info and you guys will tell me pro and con. I'm looking for enough power to take out the Zo6's, but to remain Very streetable, enough so that I can still take trips with my wife to the mountains, and we live in Michigan. No meth injection, just enough boost to get into the lower 11's. My car, 2004 Vette convertible, LG Street Headers, Hi Flo cats into Borla Stingers, 373 gears, Precision Industries 9.5", 2800 stall converter. On Nitto R2's, ran a best of 12:46 @ 110 mph.
NOT interested in high horsepower numbers, not a DD, we play and travel in this car only, 22,000 miles on this 04....
Thanks guys for any and all help, will check back soon....
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM
ZOHSIX
Pro

If those are your goals, stay N/A. Get some drag radials and put some more time behind the wheel. With those mods you should already by in the high 11's.

That being said you can't go wrong with any supercharger system or even positive displacement.

Not to take it out on you either, try a simple search. The same questions are asked about every two weeks.

Last edited by ZOHSIX; 01-19-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Getting where you want shouldn't involve any compromise in streetability. It will drive the same as it does now, just have more power and be more fun. With a centrifugal, cruising fuel economy will be about the same as before. I've had the ECS system on for about 5 years, and don't hesitate to take it on trips. If your auto trans is stock, that might be your weakest link.

Since you're near Detroit, just look up Dr. Phil, and do whatever he says. He'll set you up with whatever he thinks works best, and won't push anything on you that you don't need.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I would just do heads and a mild cam. No point in getting into the complications of FI
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
I would just do heads and a mild cam. No point in getting into the complications of FI
What complications?? Never a issue in the 3 years owning a supercharger. Any issues you read about a hardcore guys in the 850+ hp levels and even thats rare. Supercharger no matter what brand or style is a better value then any cam swap, plus the op might not get the results he is looking for with a mild cam swap. He can spend 6,000 grand and get 550rwhp and never even notice its there until the pedal is mashed. What will it take to do that N/A??
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

You can not go wrong with either A&A or ECS for what you want and your Vette will drive like stock until you mash the go pedal with the goals you have in mind
Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Came accross this thread thought you might find some useful information in it. Its long but if ya scroll down past the tuning info you will see FI information.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...oost-long.html

As for me, I'm going with an A&A SC system. I'm not looking for the torque bump you get with a PD blower setup and I don't want to change the hood. The A&A setup has been out a long while now and has a proven track record. Also, Andy and Steve at A&A and first class and will be there if you need them.

There are several other good systems on the market you will just need to decide which one fits your needs best. I f you already have a high rise hood or want to change out your hood maybe a PD blower is the way to go.

Good luck and as said above, search is your friend because this topic has been covered many times so lots of info is there for the finding.

Darion

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,091 Likes on 659 Posts

I might be biased, but here is my suggestion!

Naturally each individual manufacturer feels their kit is the "best out there", and we are certainly no different. However I ask you to take the time to do some research on the purchase you are about to make. We would be happy to do a part to part break down of the top kits available, what you will find is that we switch more individuals from other kits to our brackets then any other manufacturer, we have manufactured the parts that are on most of the fastest supercharged Corvettes, (including the fastest supercharged Corvette) we offer greater TQ then any other centrifugal design, the most belt wrap of any kit, the easiest belt changes of any kit, and simply make what we feel is by far the highest quality supercharger system on the market today for your vehicle.

The greatest pros to our kit are: 1) a bigger head unit capable of over 1,000 hp, and 8 second qtr mile times. The Novi 2000 in the base kit will flow 1400cfm. No other C5 system has gone faster. None.
We also offer the kit with self contained head units using either the Novi 1500 or 2200.

2) ECS kits have a upgraded belt system. ECS has upgraded steel, double bearing idlers and vs plastic idlers and comes with a fixed idler kit that replaces the weak ps/alt idler. They are already eight rib ready, so if you chose to upgrade down the line, your just changing Balancer-alt-PS-and head unit pullies. The head unit is already spaced correctly, and wouldnt even need to be removed to change the head unit pulley.

3) HD belt tensioner vs a relocated stock tensioner (and the kit comes with a tensioner tool)

4) Our ECS kit comes new radiator cradle which optimally positions the large Intercooler and radiator for more airflow, no other kit on the market has an intercooler as large as the ECS kit. We also make our intercoolers in house, so no China cheapy intercoolers in this kit!

5) 4 in 6061 aluminum ducting from IC to throttle body, with 4 ply silicone hoses with T-bolt clamps.

6) Base Kit comes with a valve cover breather, and a catch can, and everything necessary for a COMPLETE install thats ready for real usage. Most of our customers do not take their cars to the track, but knowing that we have personally been there with our customers for years, lets you know that the kit is made heavy duty, and ready for anything you can throw at it. Some companies have zero personal track time on their own kit, but I can say first hand that we are the ones who would have to answer right then and there if it was not up to heavy usage par.

7)Lifetime, cleanable air filter and a 4 in polished inlet duct.

8) restrictor plate that helps increase low end HP and torque, while keeping the top end safe from over boosting.

9) Track Records: ECS holds pretty much every SC qtr mile record. Fastest SC'd C5 (or C6 for that matter) 8.46 @ 158, Fastest SC's stock bottom LS1: 9.73@143, Fastest Stock Bottom LS6 9.75@143.... not that track records are everything, but they prove the systems work under extreme conditions. The systems have logged thousands and thousands of street miles tho. and as far as I know, we are the only mfg to even attempt doing this with a sc'd C5. That's 90 miles at over 5,000 RPM the entire time!

Down side? Cost. Our systems cost more, but you get more. You get the parts that most end up purchasing after the install, once they found out why we include it from the start. Plus if your like most people who go SC'd you're going to do a lot of upgrades down the line for more power and reliability. With our kits most of your upgrades are built in. Look around the forums.... very few people put a kit on and never upgrade anything else.

If you want more info feel free to give me a call at the shop. 609-752-0321

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 01-19-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

SEE I TOLD YOU. Great kit never a issue.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gohard777
I know, personal preference, but I would like to hear from you guys, this is where I get my info and you guys will tell me pro and con. I'm looking for enough power to take out the Zo6's, but to remain Very streetable, enough so that I can still take trips with my wife to the mountains, and we live in Michigan. No meth injection, just enough boost to get into the lower 11's. My car, 2004 Vette convertible, LG Street Headers, Hi Flo cats into Borla Stingers, 373 gears, Precision Industries 9.5", 2800 stall converter. On Nitto R2's, ran a best of 12:46 @ 110 mph.
NOT interested in high horsepower numbers, not a DD, we play and travel in this car only, 22,000 miles on this 04....
Thanks guys for any and all help, will check back soon....
Take a trip to Stenod performance and Talk with Joe. Our V-2 Si system will be all that you need with just the right size supercharger.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

A&A or the ECS set-up!

Cannot go wrong with either - they are comlete kits and will get you your GOALS and get them quick and still driving like stock

Compare the two and price the two and decide - heck call both and then decide

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks Guys....

I just wanted to say thanks for all the info and even the video.. Great stuff! I've done search and have been reading as much as possible, never wanted to go this route before but I believe that I'm now going to do it. Thanks again ........bob..
Gohard, or don't go at all!!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
What complications?? Never a issue in the 3 years owning a supercharger. Any issues you read about a hardcore guys in the 850+ hp levels and even thats rare. Supercharger no matter what brand or style is a better value then any cam swap, plus the op might not get the results he is looking for with a mild cam swap. He can spend 6,000 grand and get 550rwhp and never even notice its there until the pedal is mashed. What will it take to do that N/A??
If his goal is only low 11's I don't see the point of boost, he can hit that with a cam and slicks for less than $1000. $1500 with tune.

The real cost of boost is $8-10k regardless of how you slice it. That's a lot of money to pay if all you want to do is run an 11 second quarter mile and take your wife to the mountains.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Just pure luck
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDog
Just pure luck
Mine's been quite trouble-free for about 5 years too. Broke the hub out of a clutch disk after repeated power-shifting, and replaced one injector because it had started to cause an intermittent miss at idle, but that's about it. Nothing that couldn't have happened NA.

Maybe "trouble-free" is an ECS thing.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
That's 90 miles at over 5,000 RPM the entire time!

What oil did you use for that run?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the contrary, Heads and Cam "COULD" be more difficult than FI. Chris at ECS kind of talked me in to going to a blower as some cams no matter how they're tuned "can and will" buck at low speeds, in traffic etc. With the blower, it'll drive just like stock 'til your foot hits the floor. I've had one before my current set-up(which I've yet to drive due to poor weather). I am pretty sure I made the right move going with an ECS SC600. Considerably more I wanted to spend...but my project #'s were 400 or so at the wheels. Instead I am now 603, but de-tuned to 580.

Get notified of new replies

To What SC do I go with???

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Max@Cartek
Drifting

Default HPE Direct->Drive SC KIT

I would like to throw the HPE kit into the ring as well.

The HPE kit actually has the most belt wrap out of any SC kit for the C5 or C6 on the market with it's patented Flip Drive system as a standard component of the kit. See the pictures below for reference.

Some additional features:
  1. Billet made in the USA brackets that offer a Billet SC specific tensioner of HPE's own design.
  2. Interlocking standoffs for improved rigidity (8 second quarter mile proven/tested)
  3. Direct drive belt system eliminates excessive loads on the accessories improving accessory life and reliability of the entire system.
  4. No special tools required for belt swapping or tensioning.
  5. 6 rib system proven to 21+ PSI @ over 750 RWHP. We are still trying to find the limits on the 8 rib setups.
  6. Brackets are 8 rib drive ready and only require the change of the crank pulley and blower pulley to do so. No additional stand-offs, etc.
  7. No need to remove the blower to change pulleys
  8. Made in the USA intercooler rated for 1000 HP. Custom design allows for a large spacing from the radiator/AC condenser assembly reducing the affects of heat bleed through or choking of flow through the intercooler. We could have gone larger on the design, but chose efficiency over just being able to advertise a larger intercooler. The net result is the lowest IATs realized when compared to any other kit given the same boost level / HP / ambient temp comparison. Efficiency is the name of the game!
  9. I can go on and on...

The Flip Drive system itself has been proving itself time and time again in the SC Corvette World. For example the recent independent results in Germany from Heinz of Cool Chevy Race Parts based out of Austria and their work on the WMS Z06. Their belt issues limiting their top speed became a thing of the past when the turned to the HPE Flip Drive. For more info on that topic go here:

http://wms-zerspanungstechnik.de/en/...gstechnik.html

Rain kept them from going faster, but not belt issues.
361 KPH for now, but I know a sunny day will bring more speed to them in due time.

All in all, don't forget about this third option. For more info give us a call at the shop. We'd love to have the opportunity to tell you all about the kit and many more of the benefits.

Thanks

Max
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

If his goal is only low 11's I don't see the point of boost, he can hit that with a cam and slicks for less than $1000. $1500 with tune.

The real cost of boost is $8-10k regardless of how you slice it. That's a lot of money to pay if all you want to do is run an 11 second quarter mile and take your wife to the mountains.
Originally you mentioned heads and cam, and there is no vendor installing heads/cam 1,500 dollars this is why I mentioned S/C. Also most likely soon as he feels the power, thats it mod,mod,mod. He already has headers, and exhaust so only a blower kit is needed. For instance a ECS kit he would get easy 550+ to the wheels and never have a burp in driveability, or change fuel milage. He can do it less then 8k.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Milan
Safety Car

When you factor in a clutch, fuel system, and then the SC kit, you are easily at $8k.

Again does it make sense to spend that much money if you are only shooting for 11's? Have fun going to the track with 600 whp in a convertible, he will get the boot almost instantly.

My advice still sticks with getting a cam and a good tune and it will essentially drive like stock. I've driven some pretty big cam LS1's and with the right tune there is not an issue with drivability.

Quick Reply: What SC do I go with???