C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to build a boosted 454LSx engine for my C5

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Default I want to build a boosted 454LSx engine for my C5

ok so I have been thinking about this for quite some time now. I was just going to sell my vette and buy a built C6z but I figured I'd have more fun building my C5 and I want to do it. I want to build a 454 LSx engine and slap a centrifigual supercharger on it. here's what I'm thinking? any comments, suggestions are appreciated. (BE NICE! LOL)

Vehicle: 1997 Targa Top Vette

Engine: RHS Tall Deck block, LS7 heads
Custom pistons to achieve a 10.0:1 static compression ratio
custom spec cam for my application (after I do all the math homework)
Oliver rods
Lunati Crank
Everthing buttoned down with ARP fasteners
Fast 102MM intake manifold
14# of boost for the street.

I want to be able to make 4 diget numbers in show off mode. i.e. more then 14 lbs of boost. However, realisticly I'd like to make 800 WHP for the street and keep the WTQ close as I can to the 800 mark with 14LBS of boost

besides the transmission and rear end those are all the big parts.

any comments suggestions, concerns Ect? It was suggested by another forum member that I post this over here. Heres the original thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...for-my-c5.html

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 12-04-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:53 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

use the rhs block

should be a nice build, and achieve those numbers pretty easy
Old 12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvette8189
use the rhs block

should be a nice build, and achieve those numbers pretty easy
How about the oiling system? would I benefit using a dry sump setup?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:13 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Dry sump is better, but far from necessary for your goals. If I had an endless bank account, I would build an RHS motor with a set of wicked MAST heads (they bought out Performance Induction (formerly ETP)). Lunati makes a nice "pro" rod too. Oliver is a good choice though, as is Carillo.
You running a stick or auto?
If running a standard, I recommend the RPS triple carbon clutch and upgrading the driveshaft with a custom one from Dallas Performance. They do a 3.5" shaft design with ZR1 couplers that should work nicely. Transmission should be a new 6060 and C6Z diff conversion. That will hold everything as well as you can hope.

Your build thread belongs here!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 1BADGTM
How about the oiling system? would I benefit using a dry sump setup?
Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Dry sump is better, but far from necessary for your goals. If I had an endless bank account, I would build an RHS motor with a set of wicked MAST heads (they bought out Performance Induction (formerly ETP)). Lunati makes a nice "pro" rod too. Oliver is a good choice though, as is Carillo.
If running a standard, I recommend the RPS triple carbon clutch and upgrading the driveshaft with a custom one from Dallas Performance. They do a 3.5" shaft design with ZR1 couplers that should work nicely. Transmission should be a new 6060 and C6Z diff conversion. That will hold everything as well as you can hope.

Save your money. For the street you don't need a drysump. But if you insist I would go with ARE's system. That is what I have in my build.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joe11204

Save your money. For the street you don't need a drysump. But if you insist I would go with ARE's system. That is what I have in my build.
Right on will do. Just asking. I mean I've played with boosted stuff. Just not at this level. What justifies the need for the Drysump system? competition racing purposes?

I'm running a standard Transmission. I planned on a RPS Tripple. thanks guys. Keep all the comments and suggestions coming.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 12-04-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Right on will do. Just asking. I mean I've played with boosted stuff. Just not at this level. What justifies the need for the Drysump system? competition racing purposes?

I'm running a standard Transmission. I planned on a RPS Tripple. thanks guys. Keep all the comments and suggestions coming.

Basically any type of competitive driving that results in high G's could cause the factory wet sump oiling system to cavitate and/or "suck" air if the pickup is ever exposed. Also high horsepower setups could actually suck the pan dry.

None of these issues should be a problem for a street car.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:18 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Taken from my other thread....

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
Well you can do the 454 but its going to have to be the tall deck and it adds a few nuances but nothing that can't be handled. I would use the RHS block as a foundation or the ERL. Heads I would be looking at some of the Carry's heads who is now at MAST.
What kind of nuances are we talking about? Also, mast seems to have a plethora of cylinder heads are you talking about these? http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...sembled&id=377

if I do a modified ZR1 TR6060 Transmission from RPM does thier price include the core or do I have to source my own?

Same question for the C6Z differential?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Taken from my other thread....

What kind of nuances are we talking about? Also, mast seems to have a plethora of cylinder heads are you talking about these? http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...sembled&id=377

if I do a modified ZR1 TR6060 Transmission from RPM does thier price include the core or do I have to source my own?

Same question for the C6Z differential?
That would be the heads.
Are you aware of the fitment issues of the 102 intake on the C5's?
If you're going all out, have you considered a Wilson, Marcella or some other intake?

No core on the trans or the Diff at RPM.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 12-04-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

That would be the heads.
If you're going all out, have you considered a Wilson, Marcella or some other intake?

no i wasnt aware of the fitment issue. what fitment issue? what's wrong with it?

That wilson manifold is a beautiful piece though.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

You better plan on badass fuel system 2000.00 around a 100lbh injector the list goes on and on. Are you sure you know what your getting into? A blower for that size of motor is going to have to be big F1R or maybe F2. Bail and buy the modded C6. The list goes on and on.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

no i wasnt aware of the fitment issue. what fitment issue? what's wrong with it?

That wilson manifold is a beautiful piece though.
There's a thread in the tech section that RMS-MAN started. They rub the cowl in the back. He had to space the entire cradle down with washers to create enough space for it to clear without rubbing. Then you change the steering geometry among other things, so you can head in to get your alignment checked. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 AM
clekchaum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

what is your budget? do you realize the cost of what you are planning?

need to factor in the engine, fuel, drivetrain, suspension, install/tune, dyno, etc etc , just trying to keep things for you in perspective. it might sound fun but the costs add up fast.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by clekchaum
what is your budget? do you realize the cost of what you are planning?

need to factor in the engine, fuel, drivetrain, suspension, install/tune, dyno, etc etc , just trying to keep things for you in perspective. it might sound fun but the costs add up fast.
Realisticay I'm budgeted for about 40-45K. To be honest I will more then likely end up doing as much of the installation of components myself as I can. Also I've built high powered cars before just never a corvette and never to this level. On that note, I realize that for the power I want I could go with cheaper parts i.e smaller displacemrn and lets say an eagle rotating assembly and a LS2 block for the motor and survive. But the fact is it still cost a pretty penny and I don't want something to let go simply because I choose to save a few bucks. Been there done that.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Why build it when you can buy it?I know this seems a little radical but even if you made some changes for the street you would still be way ahead money wise.I don't know about the half filled block for the street though.
There are some killer deals on complete motor right now.
Good luck.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-...-sale-new.html

Hell.Just buy the whole car!

http://www.canadiancorvetteforums.co...-z06-sale.html

Last edited by 396375; 12-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That would be the heads.

That is a nice looking intake, love to have that....
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The Wilson is a good looking piece. Too bad it doesn't work. John Marcella makes some gorgeous intakes that work. VA Speed is currently working on a longer runner sheet metal street/strip intake.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to build a boosted 454LSx engine for my C5

Old 12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
JJ 86
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 12-05-2010, 03:01 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Realisticay I'm budgeted for about 40-45K. To be honest I will more then likely end up doing as much of the installation of components myself as I can. Also I've built high powered cars before just never a corvette and never to this level. On that note, I realize that for the power I want I could go with cheaper parts i.e smaller displacemrn and lets say an eagle rotating assembly and a LS2 block for the motor and survive. But the fact is it still cost a pretty penny and I don't want something to let go simply because I choose to save a few bucks. Been there done that.

I'd sooner go for an engine with thick bores/liners than one bored to its limit leaving thin bore walls and little distance between cylinders for the head gasket to seal on.

IMO 454 is extreme and better suited to normally aspirated
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
VonDutch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save your money for Tickets

pass on the dry sump

Quick Reply: I want to build a boosted 454LSx engine for my C5