C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS vs. A&A

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 AM
juice12
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whatever you choose, get a flip drive the first time and be done with it. No belt slip, and having seperate belts to run accessories is a plus.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:01 PM
SPEED///
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. But what supercharger is the loudest?
A&a v2 t trim at idle or the
Ecs kit at idle?
I want one that you can here the wushwushwushwush sound in the best. Lol
Since both of them seem to be just as equal in comparison. I can get the Ecs kit for 4850 shipped.
And what typeslf Ecs kits are there? I know a&a has the v2, v3 -s and t trims.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:28 AM
js23881
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flip drives can squeal when 4 rib accessary drive belt slips....and they do now and then.......FYI

Last edited by js23881; 03-30-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

seems like all they sell nowadays is a black 1500... my opinion after having dealt with both companies, save yourself the troubles and go with a&a
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEED///
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. But what supercharger is the loudest?
A&a v2 t trim at idle or the
Ecs kit at idle?
I want one that you can here the wushwushwushwush sound in the best. Lol
Since both of them seem to be just as equal in comparison. I can get the Ecs kit for 4850 shipped.
And what typeslf Ecs kits are there? I know a&a has the v2, v3 -s and t trims.

If you are looking for the louder BOV then go with the Tail that comes with our kit. We do not use the V2/Novi 1200, our kits start with the Novi 1500/T-trim as the base head unit.
Although both kits are well made, we offer ours with the restrictor plate design that makes more low end TQ, and is also up gradable HP wise down the line without purchasing other product related to the supercharger kit.

Black is our main seller at this point by far, but it is available in polished too, or a combination of the two.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:18 AM
50 ANV C5
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Ecs

I went with ECS after a year of research , goggle but mostly following this forum , its served me well , 20k miles no issues and Doug and Chris have been very helpful with any ?'s I ever had , either way you go once its SC'd youll love it , good luck .
DOUG @ ECS (04-03-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Way to bump an old thread! I saw this and was like ooh no not another one.

With that said the "woosh" sound you are looking for is going to be much more dependent on your bypass valve than the supercharger head unit you pick. Either kit can be retrofitted with whatever Bypass valve you would like.

ECS does offer a larger intercooler (that's larger than the A&A unit) but now I think you have to ask for it as it is not part of the base kit price.

With that said, A&A just released a billet tensioner that is pretty slick! (It's too new and I don't have experience with it to comment but Andy does his homework for sure)

ECS has a Heavy Duty tensioner as well. However I've seen it have issues with deflection causing belt alignment issues when used in conjunction with their blower brackets as well as those who retrofitted it with A&A brackets. When the kinks are ironed out it does work good.

There is a couple of ideas that are floating around with methods to solve these issues right from the factory but they would all certainly increase the kit price.

A&A offers a multi drive belt system known as the "secondary drive" that effectively shortens the length of the blower belt and takes the stress the blower creates off your much smaller and weaker accessories. It does this via a jackshaft pulley. It's pretty trick. One of the problems with this is that sometimes when you are making big power (spinning the blower hard) the little 4 Riv AC belt slips and ultimately slows your alternator down which results in less voltage being applied to the fuel pump. (Long story short... It's not good for making power when this happens)

However, ECS offers a pretty solid and reliable fix for this and it has been dubbed "the cog mod" (which can be retrofitted to either manufacturers kits. This is basically machining the blank spot on the Jack shaft and the crank balancer with a cog gear and running a small cog belt. Cog belts don't slip.

If I were a guy starting out, I'd buy A&A's base kit.

If I were to do the centrifugal supercharger thing again with a fresh vette knowing what I know now and shooting for the moon on power, I'd have an A&A blower bracket and their billet tensioner, the A&A Secondary Drive, a 10 Rib crank pulley. The cog mod, and the thickest most efficient intercooler I could stick in there with a fuel system from hell. :-)

Whatever way you go, you are sure to smile when you crack the throttle. :-)

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 04-07-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

wow....excellent info MVP but ouch...now you make it seem like either kit out of the box has issues right from the get go. Maybe you should elaborate on this. I mean...if these problems are so evident with both kits why don't we hear more users saying bad things about them? Iam not questioning your comments, just wondering if perhaps special circumstances outside of normal out of box and install situations is the reason these issues came up? I dunno. I for one wouldn't want to be spending $8000 on an install knowing that right off the bat, there will be problems with either system choosen

Last edited by XtremeVette; 05-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:36 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
wow....excellent info MVP but ouch...now you make it seem like either kit out of the box has issues right from the get go. Maybe you should elaborate on this. I mean...if these problems are so evident with both kits why don't we hear more users saying bad things about them? Iam not questioning your comments, just wondering if perhaps special circumstances outside of normal out of box and install situations is the reason these issues came up? I dunno. I for one wouldn't want to be spending $8000 on an install knowing that right off the bat, there will be problems with either system choosen
Mike went out last night and got drunk and had some time on his hands to do some of this & not go to work.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Not much to elaborate on. When you push the limits of your vehicle, both base kits need upgrading. (Most of the upgrading has to do with the belt system(s)

One company has essentially put the C5 crowd on the back burner (for the C7) (Business move I suppose) the other has not and continues to develop a better kit.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 AM
John_B
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
One company has essentially put the C5 crowd on the back burner (for the C7) (Business move I suppose) the other has not and continues to develop a better kit.
This is one thing I really like. Being that the c5 is 12+ years old you can't blame the one company for going towards the current model, but I personally would prefer the kit that is still being improved and tested for the car I drive. Neither kit is perfect, both kits are great...
Old 05-13-2016, 12:50 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Not much to elaborate on. When you push the limits of your vehicle, both base kits need upgrading. (Most of the upgrading has to do with the belt system(s)

Not sure why you would say that Mike? You guys asked us a year ago to update the upper shroud so we did, other then that we feel the kit doesn't need updating, I like to think we made it correctly the first time. It is certainly well proven no?

I think it would be better said that one company offers a kit that does not need constant upgrading, costing the end user more and more money each time while the other does not. Yet many stand in line and continue to pay so maybe we are the fools?

Just like you had to upgrade to our brackets, yet those are the same design we have had for years. I only know of one person who switched from our brackets to theirs and it was in spite/personal reasons, yet we have sold our brackets to countless others such as yourself, there is something to be said for that.

Either way, they are both excellent kits at this point and I don't think anyone will be dissapointed in either direction.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:33 PM
2003VETT
Melting Slicks

Location: Still the Fastest (still running) Stock Bottom End Blown LS1/ 2010 ECS CC 10.50 CHAMP Hamilton, NJ
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

update... Im still on the original design! Hell no.
DOUG @ ECS (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003VETT
same since 07'

Last edited by Dave concrete; 05-13-2016 at 05:42 PM.
DOUG @ ECS (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:08 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by 2003VETT
Coming from the very first Paxton head unit install we did! (In a C5) Same head unit still going strong too.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

for the record I didn't switch brackets out of spite but if that's what you want to tell everyone I guess it makes sense if you are trying to sell parts
Old 05-22-2016, 12:51 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Not sure why you would say that Mike? You guys asked us a year ago to update the upper shroud so we did, other then that we feel the kit doesn't need updating, I like to think we made it correctly the first time. It is certainly well proven no?

I think it would be better said that one company offers a kit that does not need constant upgrading, costing the end user more and more money each time while the other does not. Yet many stand in line and continue to pay so maybe we are the fools?

Just like you had to upgrade to our brackets, yet those are the same design we have had for years. I only know of one person who switched from our brackets to theirs and it was in spite/personal reasons, yet we have sold our brackets to countless others such as yourself, there is something to be said for that.

Either way, they are both excellent kits at this point and I don't think anyone will be dissapointed in either direction.

I actually still have an A&A bracket just modified for use with your HD tensioner but I haven't ran it yet because I couldn't get the belt to line up properly. I'm having issues with the tensioner deflecting. Could be just my combo but I saw it with another car who not only runs your tensioner but your entire system but with a YSi. He's working good now though and hauling some serious A$$! Bret showed me how to fix the issue and we even talked about ideas that could help but it would involve a price increase on the parts. With that said I'm digging A&A's new tensioner. So I'll probably get the one I have now to work and sell it at a discounted rate. Nothing personal just business.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 05-22-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ECS vs. A&A

Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by neutron82
for the record I didn't switch brackets out of spite but if that's what you want to tell everyone I guess it makes sense if you are trying to sell parts
Oh yes you did!

Just kidding!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:03 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh yes you did!

Just kidding!
, well it's no secret that I don't like him and will never deal with his company again but he brought that all on himself... if I didn't have so many problems with their parts and waiting months on end to get simple things from them then their stuff might have stayed on my car
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Hectorls1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No contest, Eldelbrock all the way.

Quick Reply: ECS vs. A&A