C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone kill their fuel pumps with BAPs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone kill their fuel pumps with BAPs?

My buddy is going through a little ordeal with fuel pumps. His setup: 04 Z06 w/ maggie and their BAP. Otherwise it's pretty much stock. His first pump went out with about 5k miles on the car (4k of it was with the maggie). Now it seems that pump is dead again after only another 500 miles. The BAP does have 13v coming out of it but haven't checked the boosted voltage yet.

More than diagnosing his problem, I was just curious if BAPs are known to eat up stock fuel pumps?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

is he running the BAP full time or only above a certain psi / rpm?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Moike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size fuse is he using in the BAP and in the engine bay for the fuel pump? It shouldn't be blowing fuses either but at least if it is not working properly he can figure it out for less than a dollar instead of a new fuel pump.

Mine blew the stock pump in a few weeks and melted the wires. It was more than likely caused by a bad install and the lack of a racetronix harness.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 8K miles with BAP with a C6Z pump with no problems. Also have the Racetronix harness. If you cut wires without using a harness your gonna eventually have problems.
Stock C5z pump went out without a BAP even on it before s/c install. The C5 pumps are POS in my opinion with any kind of hp increase on them.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 04-26-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i had the msd boost a pump and it can be turned up more than the 17v thats what got mine
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, it only comes on at boost. I'm not sure what level "boost" is since I don't have the car to check.

20 amp fuse and it's not blowing.

The install was done prior to him getting the car but has been working fine for 4500 miles.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes , BAPs are known for eating up stock pumps as well as bosch and walbro pumps .

Get rid of the bap and get a 2nd pump instead .
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I had a BAP module go bad and caused my pump to run continuously unbeknownst to me...woke up last day of Cruise In to find I had a dead battery so I spent the morning buying a portable jump box to take along as I had 3 more stops to make on my way home. Everynight I disconnected the wire until I got home. Got the BAP module replaced under warranty and needed a new pump what a PITA
Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Originally Posted by zoomz
Yes , BAPs are known for eating up stock pumps as well as bosch and walbro pumps .

Get rid of the bap and get a 2nd pump instead .
No...actually they are not known for this. Do the research and fuel pumps failing because of a BAP are very low. Its more of operator error installing it wiring wise or some other problem associated with fuel pump going out.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
0Brian@FI Performance
Former Vendor

Location: FI Performance : Norwalk Connecticut www.FIPERFORMANCE.com

20k here for me... BAP full bore at 3 PSI to a GSS342. I use my SPA FP/B Gauge to trigger the BAP @ 4 if the Hobbs switch fails with a relay to prevent back feeding.

Brian
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 AM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have , and more than you can ever imagine , lol .

I design and build some of the baddest fuel systems on the planet for many different types of vehicles and over volting a pump to get more fuel out of it is RETARDED ,, lol

BAP = Bandaid , period .

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
No...actually they are not known for this. Do the research and fuel pumps failing because of a BAP are very low. Its more of operator error installing it wiring wise or some other problem associated with fuel pump going out.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
My buddy is going through a little ordeal with fuel pumps. His setup: 04 Z06 w/ maggie and their BAP. Otherwise it's pretty much stock. His first pump went out with about 5k miles on the car (4k of it was with the maggie). Now it seems that pump is dead again after only another 500 miles. The BAP does have 13v coming out of it but haven't checked the boosted voltage yet.

More than diagnosing his problem, I was just curious if BAPs are known to eat up stock fuel pumps?
Running a Walbro / C5 / C6 pump for brief periods of time under WOT upwards of 16-17 volts will not have any noticeable impact on pump life. All too often people set the voltage under cruise too high which should only be apx. 12.5-13.5 volts.

If your friend is eating up pumps and the BAP voltage is OK then perhaps he is running out of fuel and sucking his bucket dry. Has he checked to make sure his transfer pump is working OK? Another possibility is that the gas station where he normally fills up has contaminated holding tanks.

Has he been replacing the entire GM module or just the pump?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Curious...

Why is BAP so popular in the US ?

And why dont people just buy a pump thats capable in the first place ? isntead of using band aid fix like BAP ?

By the time you've bought such a device, wired it in and ****ed about. Surely you could have bought a proper fuel pump ?

Such devices are unheard of here. Ive never seen or heard of them used on a car in the UK. People just buy the correct pump for their needs.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Curious...

And why dont people just buy a pump thats capable in the first place ? isntead of using band aid fix like BAP ?

By the time you've bought such a device, wired it in and ****ed about. Surely you could have bought a proper fuel pump ?

Such devices are unheard of here. Ive never seen or heard of them used on a car in the UK. People just buy the correct pump for their needs.
What "pump" should they buy?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Curious...

Well for us 03+ cars no one up until just a few weeks ago made a workable replacement pump worth a damn that is configured for our FFS type fuel system. You guys with 97-02's are lucky with cheap available pumps that are easily accessible at the bottom of the tank instead of us with top access ones you gotta pull the tank out to get to.
The 03+ new aftermarket pump just out is $750 and doesnt include everything needed such as lines/fittings I heard.
A in tank double hanger pump system from other vendors is $2K+ and external secondary systems are $1250+.
So spending $175 on a BAP and spending 1 hour to put it in is much cheaper, it works and doesn't require pulling drivetrain out and dropping tank to get to the pump.

I did try 2 other in tank pumps without a BAP cause vendors said they would work with FFS system, and they both failed within 1K miles so "F" that. I then went with BAP and a stock C6Z pump and its been fine for 10K miles. Ill stick with BAP thank you very much....

BUT if and when my fuel pump dies I will go with the new pump just out and give it a shot since they designed it specifically for and tested it on a FFS type fuel system and it should work. Altho I seriously doubt my BAP is ever going to fry my fuel pump where I will need to replace it.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 04-28-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM
a/c man
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default works for the $$

im with him on this i have the 2004 c5 with a c6 zo6 pump and a kenny bell boost a pump!works on my 700rwhp auto a4
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by FRCTony
What "pump" should they buy?

Everyones setup is different. They buy whichever one is capable of supplying the fuel they need.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone kill their fuel pumps with BAPs?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Well for us 03+ cars no one up until just a few weeks ago made a workable replacement pump worth a damn that is configured for our FFS type fuel system. You guys with 97-02's are lucky with cheap available pumps that are easily accessible at the bottom of the tank instead of us with top access ones you gotta pull the tank out to get to.
The 03+ new aftermarket pump just out is $750 and doesnt include everything needed such as lines/fittings I heard.
A in tank double hanger pump system from other vendors is $2K+ and external secondary systems are $1250+.
So spending $175 on a BAP and spending 1 hour to put it in is much cheaper, it works and doesn't require pulling drivetrain out and dropping tank to get to the pump.

I did try 2 other in tank pumps without a BAP cause vendors said they would work with FFS system, and they both failed within 1K miles so "F" that. I then went with BAP and a stock C6Z pump and its been fine for 10K miles. Ill stick with BAP thank you very much....

BUT if and when my fuel pump dies I will go with the new pump just out and give it a shot since they designed it specifically for and tested it on a FFS type fuel system and it should work. Altho I seriously doubt my BAP is ever going to fry my fuel pump where I will need to replace it.
Racetronix has had a dual in-tank plug and play solution for the late model C5 and C6 cars for years. These systems support over 1000HP reliably and quietly.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Curious...

Not everybody wants to go to the expense of dropping the tank in a late model C5 or C6. Some people with HP in-tank pumps just need a bit more fuel so a BAP is a simple plug and play solution when added to a Racetronix harness / system.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wouldn't running twin pumps in the tank have a potentially higher failure rate than just one? With a single pump, if it dies, there's just no fuel pressure and the car dies. If one out of a twin setup fails won't it still run down low but lose pressure once it hits high boost?

I was thinking dual pumps = RAID 0, if one fails it goes *BOOM*?

Quick Reply: Anyone kill their fuel pumps with BAPs?