C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

403 APS rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:13 AM
bellvegasz06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 403 APS rebuild

Hey everybody sorry I don't post much on here "I am on here daily looking at other threads", I usually just use PM's. As everybody knows by now APS "fake mitsubishi" turbos suck when they are turned up. I was maxing the stock aps units out at 13.5psi. I went out to start my car up and the passenger side exhaust was smoking like an old mack truck. It also left a fist size oil leak under the turbo. I decided to buy new turbos from Forced Performance in Texas. I paid around $2500 for the pair. Here is a link to some pictures with the new and old sitting side by side. http://www.flickr.com/photos/emily_and_joel/ . The new ones flow 70/lb.

Here is the history of the car and problems. I purchased a 2002 z06 from a corvette forum member. LEP from las vegas built the engine and reinstalled the turbo system for previous owner roughly 5000mi before I purchased it. They installed a Lingenfelter 9.0/1 comp 403 w/afr 225 heads, 60lb injectors, stock ls6 intake and a LPE gt-7 cam roughly .550 lift. They also installed a new twin disc Mcleod clutch and upgraded output shafts in the differential and installed an A&A fuel system. The car made 736hp and 812tq to the wheels. After a month of driving the car the clutch started to slip. I took the clutch out to find that LEP left the green blocks that Mcleod ships their clutch with were not removed from the pressure plate. Well 1 was still there the other 2 must have flung off because there was slight damage to flywheel and bell housing. I reinstalled a ram twin disc that I had laying around and then the car was back up again. A few months go by and now the starter is giving me issues. I get the car started and move it of the garage to find a fist size oil leak from the passenger side turbo and the car is smoking horribly. Instead of just fixing the small issues I decided to go for broke and just go through the entire car.

The car has been apart for roughly a month now. I went ahead and installed PFADT motor mounts, diff mount and polyurethane bushings. I just finished installing a wolfe racecraft 6point roll bar. I am in the process of rebuilding the t-56 with all upgraded goodies that can be put in a corvette trans-all parts from D&D. I switched to a fast 92intake with c6 style throttle body. I could not stand the stock idle the car had so i had Patrick G on ls1tech spec out a cam for me-just finished the install last friday. I sent the mcleod clutch back to mcleod and had it rebuilt "$250". I also purchased a DTE trans brace, Turbowerx scavenger pump, Lg solid coupler for the drive shaft, MSD starter and a NOS super power shot system for the car. I also purchased 80lb injectors from TPE "thanks Julie and Jeff" and a catch can from custom corvette accessories. I am thinking about using the aps scavenger pump for a diff cooler or trans cooler. Hopefully I can have the car back together in a month or so, along with some good dyno numbers.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:23 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn, sounds like its going to be a nice set-up when finished!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 AM
bellvegasz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Damn, sounds like its going to be a nice set-up when finished!
The car was originally vegasredz062 on here. I bought it from him roughly a year ago. It was a very nice car but it was lacking in a few areas for me.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:32 AM
milo337
Advanced

Nice....sounds like it has some serious mods
Old 12-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

How do you like the MSD starter.I have a TTi kit and will be swapping my starter in the future.I want one were you can clock the solinoid to any position.I want to get it away from the turbo.I had one on my GN but can't remember who made it.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2009, 01:14 PM
tomdcarguy
Pro

Location: A.M.R. Pound for Pound-Fastest Stock Bottom LS1 9.1x 10psi

whatever you decide to do with the APS pump, just be sure to seal the ends of the perminate magnet housing.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 AM
cmeflibi
Burning Brakes

tomd-could you elaborate. Not trying to thread steal, but was wondering b/c Im about to get one of these pumps. I am replacing it like the OP did, but may use it for something else.

OP, how much looking around did you do before you went with those turbo's. I am about to get a slightly (under 1000 miles) aps kit and for piece of mind wanted to see if I could send mine out to get ported and rebuilt. I want to see if someone has a ball bearing option. Another option I thought of was doing a exhaust housing swap and just vent my WG to atmosphere. alot of the import guys do it. That way you won't have limited options on the turbos for this kit.

I dont know, just trying to thing outside the box.

OP, lets see those number man. I bet we'll see you get that car over 1000hp if you have the rest to do it.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM
bellvegasz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cmeflibi
tomd-could you elaborate. Not trying to thread steal, but was wondering b/c Im about to get one of these pumps. I am replacing it like the OP did, but may use it for something else.

OP, how much looking around did you do before you went with those turbo's. I am about to get a slightly (under 1000 miles) aps kit and for piece of mind wanted to see if I could send mine out to get ported and rebuilt. I want to see if someone has a ball bearing option. Another option I thought of was doing a exhaust housing swap and just vent my WG to atmosphere. alot of the import guys do it. That way you won't have limited options on the turbos for this kit.

I dont know, just trying to thing outside the box.

OP, lets see those number man. I bet we'll see you get that car over 1000hp if you have the rest to do it.
I sent you a pm regarding other options. The APS t3 entry is not an actual t3-It is undersized a little bit, If you have a small mill I am sure you can do what ever is needed
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
tomdcarguy
Pro

Location: A.M.R. Pound for Pound-Fastest Stock Bottom LS1 9.1x 10psi

Bell... keeps us up to date with build, sounds badazz! I still have the original APS turbos at 10 psi but when or if they go I'll step up. As of now with a stock motor, don't need to. Are you using to original intake ducting? Seem to be restrictive at your level.

c-me... the oil pump from APS has a perm. magnet housing like a small starter. At each end where the housing and cover meet you will see 2 small notches inline with one of the bolts. they expose the brushes and armature to the elements. Seal them off with silicone. I had one go intermitant on me and it was full of corrosion when I took it apart.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 PM
cmeflibi
Burning Brakes

hmm, interesting. I will have to check the pump this week.

thanks. got pm from OP, he had alot of good info.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Joel, those new turbo's look NICE!!!! Keep me posted man, and if you need a hand wrenching I'm only 10 minutes away.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Joel, those new turbo's look NICE!!!! Keep me posted man, and if you need a hand wrenching I'm only 10 minutes away.
Joel,

Those turbos should put you at 850-950whp EASY!! .. like i told you before .. the stock aps turbos are pretty much maxed out at 750 on my car.. i know peeps made more.. but on mine it was maxed.

did you reinstall the mcleod?

im still waiting for some track times! and with the new turbos AND n20 .. holy **** *****.. the car will be nasty!!

I hope all is well and happy holidays!!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
bellvegasz06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Joel,

Those turbos should put you at 850-950whp EASY!! .. like i told you before .. the stock aps turbos are pretty much maxed out at 750 on my car.. i know peeps made more.. but on mine it was maxed.

did you reinstall the mcleod?

im still waiting for some track times! and with the new turbos AND n20 .. holy **** *****.. the car will be nasty!!

I hope all is well and happy holidays!!
Yes the mcleod is going back in. The ram worked fine but it just made a lot of noise due to the floater plate design.

I am going to buy some ccw's or bogart d10 as a drag pack this year then I will head to the track.

I missed you in Vegas last month, I stopped by your store but you had already left-The food was good and workers were friendly, we need one around this area.

These new turbos look very nice. The compressor wheel is almost a 1/4in larger than the original aps ones.

Hopefully it will be able to get over 900rwhp- I am going to have the same guy that tuned Fastbirds car on here tune the car-he did a good job on his car.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM
syko Z06
Advanced

WOW that is going to be a lot of power. I gess I have been lucky I have had almost no problems with my APS kit.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

So what is the likelyhood of an APS turbo failing and taking out the engine? (stock engine, around 8 lbs. of boost)
Old 01-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
So what is the likelyhood of an APS turbo failing and taking out the engine? (stock engine, around 8 lbs. of boost)
Odds of that happening are pretty low. Typical failure is oil seals going out allowing a big smokeshow to ensue out the tail pipes.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good man.

Get notified of new replies

To 403 APS rebuild

Quick Reply: 403 APS rebuild