C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to add TT`s on my 99 C5 what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:39 PM
soomey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to add TT`s on my 99 C5 what should i do?

I found some twin turbo kits on the internet and im really interested in installing one of them hat i wanted to know what should i do i mean are there any special preparations i should keep in mind for a turbo kit so that i won’t go screwing up my engine i have a 99 C5 Auto-trans do u guys have any advices for be before going on with it
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

save up alot of money. Fi is not cheap

be sure to add in all the supporting mods to your cost list. Injectors, clutch, tuning, ect.....

Ride with some people that have the systems you are interested in. get REAL WORLD INFO, not just what the magazine says. What are your LONG TERM goals?? That will help dictate what system, and what mods, and how much you may spend.

For example, I built my system,, custom, 1 off. I have over 13k WITH supporting mods for the system. Now add another 7-8K for the motor I am needing replaced.

Dont listen to X system is better than Y system. Everyone has their opinion of which is superior. Dont get caught up in numbers, its TOO easy to make 800RWHP, but at what cost.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by soomey
I found some twin turbo kits on the internet and im really interested in installing one of them hat i wanted to know what should i do i mean are there any special preparations i should keep in mind for a turbo kit so that i won’t go screwing up my engine i have a 99 C5 Auto-trans do u guys have any advices for be before going on with it
sounds like you need to talk to a shop. no offense, but if you aren't even clear what it takes to run turbos you probably need to get someone to help you.

in short, the stock bottom end won't last too long on turbo's.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You'll need thousands $$$ of drive train upgrades for new tranny, differential, brace, tranny cooler, oil cooler, torque tube upgrades, etc .. to hold 600 RWHP.

If you do a lot of the work yourself, except a $20K minimum investment and that does not include the motor.

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
save up alot of money. Fi is not cheap

be sure to add in all the supporting mods to your cost list. Injectors, clutch, tuning, ect.....

Ride with some people that have the systems you are interested in. get REAL WORLD INFO, not just what the magazine says. What are your LONG TERM goals?? That will help dictate what system, and what mods, and how much you may spend.

For example, I built my system,, custom, 1 off. I have over 13k WITH supporting mods for the system. Now add another 7-8K for the motor I am needing replaced.

Dont listen to X system is better than Y system. Everyone has their opinion of which is superior. Dont get caught up in numbers, its TOO easy to make 800RWHP, but at what cost.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I was in for $13K on a budget setup on my 99 -- APS Turbo kit, Comp 918's, Tex OZ-700 clutch w/04 ZO6 hydraulics, ECS Meth kit, 2Bar SD Tune, Lingenfelter Fuel Pump, Mototron 60# injectors, Gauges, installation. That was with ZERO drivetrain upgrades, though it included Bilstein shocks because the APS didn't work with the F45 Selective Ride Control.

It's expensive. For an initial estimate that is just to get you up and running around, take the cost of teh turbo kit and double it is what I'd say. Then go from there.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do u guys have any advices for be before going on with it
To really do your homework before you start buying parts and tearing apart your car.

Which turbo kit(s) are you considering?

At a minimum you'll need to upgrade the fuel system and the transmission or clutch (or both) depending on desired power level.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915

You'll need thousands $$$ of drive train upgrades for new tranny, differential, brace, tranny cooler, oil cooler, torque tube upgrades, etc .. to hold 600 RWHP.

If you do a lot of the work yourself, except a $20K minimum investment and that does not include the motor.
unless you have the money are able to do alot of work your self. LEAVE IT STOCK ARE JUST DO HEAD AND CAM AND INTAKE AND T.B. WITH EXHAUST. AND THAT IS IT. WHAT EVER YOU DO IF CANT GO ALL THE WAY WITH THE CAR DONT HALF AZZ DO IT OR YOU WILL BE BROKEN DOWN FOR A LONG TIME....
Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is included in the kit?, how much power do you expect?,and what is your budget?

Rob.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

^^^

What they said
Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Here is my 2 cents. First and foremost. Being an auto, be sure and get the transmission rebuilt. And I mean built good. I had a LPE TT car with an automatic and the automatic transmission was the weak link. I would go with a turbo setup with smaller turbos that spool up quick with no noticable turbo lag. My current LPE 99 twin turbo has garrett T28 ball bearing turbos. Very small and very good. If you build the bottom end of the motor, you can easily run 700-800hp with those turbo's. LPE puts the turbo's under the motor, but I have noticed alot of the new setups are on top and the STS system is in the back of the car. If you are going to use the stock LS1 motor, you are limited in the amount of boost you can run. My car is running 5lbs of boost per turbo for around 520hp and 540 torque at the crank. I have been told that you can safely go to 550 and add a pound or two of boost. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

Well here is an idea. Sell your car and buy one out of the forsale forum. There are plenty cars in there already up and running for cheap compared to what you will spend on this. JMO
Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06wanted
Well here is an idea. Sell your car and buy one out of the forsale forum. There are plenty cars in there already up and running for cheap compared to what you will spend on this. JMO

I was JUST GOING TO TYPE THE SAME THING!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default What they said....kinda.

I read the above responses and it was all very good advice and very accurate. Also not necessarily true. Let me explain. If you are going to go and get bit by the "F/I hp bug" and start racing dynos or hitting the dragstrip on a regular basis then you had better follow what the guys above are saying. It will save you a tremendous amount of grief and money in the long run.

That being said, lets do a reality check. You DON'T need to build a beast car that is so modded it requires everything in the car be upgraded. I mean really if you want to do it correctly they are shorting the money thing by a long way with the above estimates. You SHOULD get new big brakes ($6k), you should redo the suspension with some coilovers and new sway bars and all that ($4K), you should also get some bigger wheels tires for the backs to handle the extra power, oh also fronts too to fit those big new front brakes, oh and also a full cage if you ever want to take it to any sanctioned event with insurance or be able to open the doors if you get it to hook up. So basically you should replace the entire car so might as well buy one where someone else has already eaten the depreciation on the hop up parts.

I also think thats total if you just want a noticeable hp upgrade without going insane. I bought an off the shelf Procharger kit for my old '87 vette nearly 12 years ago. It took me nearly a decade and 175mph for ten minutes straight at an open road race to finally blow up my stock original motor with 90k miles on it. The old L98 is not nearly as tough a motor as an LSx either. So here is the deal. If you get a 'basic' F/I kit, like an STS TT rear mount or something depending on smog laws in your area and then LEAVE THE KIT STOCK, don't go shooting for 20lbs of boost or having the tuner try to put on his special 'super whammy ultra lean high hp tune' on it, the kit and your car will last a long time without any problems at all.

This only assumes that the car is in good mechanical condition to accept a base kit to START with. If it is, then find a trustworthy local shop to do the install if you aren't mechanically inclined, have them install it and go have yourself a ton of fun for a long time. It's not all doom and gloom.

But heed the above advice...if you go screwing with the base kits and get all horsepower happy, you will be buying a lot of expensive replacement parts to keep chasing the 'weak link in the chain'. That can get really old really fast. So be honest with yourself up front and ask yourself what you want to do with it. You can see where the hp addicts on this forum end up, and I admit I am the same. Budget accordingly.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jaxian
Budget accordingly.
=

Take amount of $ you think you will spend

Multiply by

then you are halfway there.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 AM
soomey
Advanced

First of all id like to thank all you guys for your responses and help and suggestions it really gave me a good idea.

well regarding the subject of selling my own car and getting a new one with all mods already done i would have loved to do that but unfortunately im not livin in the stats all the time so i take my car back with me when i leave and this year my stupid government made a new rule to help car dealers which is i cant bring a car older than 5 years to the country so that means no one can import a car older then 2005MY so that Idea is Xed

see to be honest i don’t want a real beast of a car i have an 08 ZO6 an F430 & SL63 and the C5 being my 1st vette i never sold it and i still love it, i just want the car to be in the same power level as all the other im not a drag strip junky i just need some extra power when i hit the pedal.
and regarding talking and getting info from other guys with turbos on their cars it’s a bit hard cause i only know 3 my cousin who has a linginfilter TT and he got his all ready and tuned up so no help from him and 2 other guys with STS turbos who just went in installed them and dont know **** about the system i mean it isn’t even working properly they are paying KKKK$ trying to making them work but they keep on going to the wrong people one had like 506 on the wheel and the other had 480 and they have C5Z`s

regarding the budget i have no problem the thing is im gona be buying everything online and then shipping it overseas all the way to Jeddah so i just dont wana make the wrong choice thats why im askin you guys who had experience with turbos i mean i can read and read and read but just 5 mins talk with someone who actually experienced it can give me more info now i am kind of mixed up should i get it or shouldn’t i mean i dont wana go with it and then keep on coming and going to the workshop for the rest of my life
Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 AM
soomey
Advanced

Oh yeah would installing a supercharger be lesser headache?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 AM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutly, In my opinoin , after reading what you want out of the car i would go with a supercharger, you wont be dissapointed

Get notified of new replies

To want to add TT`s on my 99 C5 what should i do?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Yes. Oh god yes.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

Buy a maggie or a Procharger kit.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Yes.

The only issue that you might run into is belt alignment and possibly overheating (TT also). In the states it would be easy to find an installer who would take care of the issue, in a different country, that's a whole 'nother ball game.

It sounds like you have quite a stable of cars

Have you ever had a modded car before? Once you mod, things change quite a bit.

The 99 model year engine is not the strongest. Later years had stronger engines. The transmission is definately going to be a weak point.

Are you near the UAE? If so I know someone who has a supercharged C5 there. There's also someone who has a TT C5 there as well. If you're close, PM me and I'll give you their contact information.

Quick Reply: want to add TT`s on my 99 C5 what should i do?