C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different blower types for daily driver--good gas and massive hp

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different blower types for daily driver--good gas and massive hp

I think from the reading I've done (and I've got more to do) I've come to these (very preliminary) conclusions:

1. Roots make great power down low. Somewhat limited top end.
2. Centrifigul, being belt driven, make power a little bit later in the powerband, but make the BEST power up top.
3. Kenne-Bell (twin-screw)---down low and up top power both, although up top maybe not quite as much as a centrifigul.

So, all else equal it seems like the KB is ideal for a street car as it has low and high end both.

But here is the question--do engines handle all blower types the same? For example, could I run a much higher boost in a roots than I could in KB? Or vice versa? Or maybe centrifiguls can give the most boost given a particular compression ratio?

Thanks fellas.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Jack Daniels
Pro

Oh yea,and the other part was the gas mileage. I guess if you stay with stock compression ratio gas mileage should be roughly equivalent given equivalent driving conditions? Don't see how the laws of physics would permit anything else but I thought I'd ask! Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes! You can have a small motor (our stock 346 CID) with BOOST and still get great gas mileage! This is how mine is set-up - great power and great gas mileage

With any top mount Supercharger one will need a different hood in order for it to fit!

I personally would like to do a D1 ProCharger and see what it does on mine

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-04-2009, 08:52 AM
clemsondave
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Yes! You can have a small motor (our stock 346 CID) with BOOST and still get great gas mileage! This is how mine is set-up - great power and great gas mileage

With any top mount Supercharger one will need a different hood in order for it to fit!

Thanks,Matt
F1

Last edited by clemsondave; 05-04-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
nmp27
Pro

F1
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

The new higher helix "roots" blowers made by Magnuson, called the TVS series (or MP1900/2300) are providing many with excellent#'s although I don't think they're ready for the C5's yet. See MTI's success with them in the C6 F/I forum. Nobody is really pushing them to their maximum potential yet either. Kenny Duttweiler made 950hp on 15psi with the MP2300.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

Thanks,Matt
That's always been the dealbreaker for me for top mount blowers.

Matt if you ever switch headunits, you might as well just step it up to an F1. I have a D1 now, and I doubt there's a big difference between your unit and mine(that didn't sound right ). For me the D1 is good for my end goals(700rwhp), but for you, the F1 might be more practical.

Will
Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

A note on fuel mileage. I just burned through a half tank of fuel during a cruise on Sunday (5/3) and still got 20mpg all told. I made quite a few runs over 100mph included in that.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
The new higher helix "roots" blowers made by Magnuson, called the TVS series (or MP1900/2300) are providing many with excellent#'s although I don't think they're ready for the C5's yet. See MTI's success with them in the C6 F/I forum. Nobody is really pushing them to their maximum potential yet either. Kenny Duttweiler made 950hp on 15psi with the MP2300.
Those are what come on the 2009 CTS-V and the New ZR1 too.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 PM
T A WS6 M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
That's always been the dealbreaker for me for top mount blowers.

Matt if you ever switch headunits, you might as well just step it up to an F1. I have a D1 now, and I doubt there's a big difference between your unit and mine(that didn't sound right ). For me the D1 is good for my end goals(700rwhp), but for you, the F1 might be more practical.

Will
LOL

You just used "F1" and "practical" in the same sentence.

Great unit, BTW.

Sorry for thread res, but it had to be said.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details

Procharger works fine for me. Gas mileage only changes if you stand on the pedal constantly.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6
LOL

You just used "F1" and "practical" in the same sentence.

Great unit, BTW.

Sorry for thread res, but it had to be said.
Well it's not like a supercharger is practical on our cars. Come on man. Most people would say 345-400hp is more than anybody could possibly ever need....
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, what is "massive HP"?

If 550rwhp is massive you could go with a KB or Maggie. Both would be great for a DD. I'd lean towards the Maggie b/c they have shown to be extremely reliable and are cheaper.

If massive HP is 700, 800, or more you will be going centrifugal.

Your mpg should barely change on any of those IF you stay out of boost. It is easier to do that with a centri.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Well it's not like a supercharger is practical on our cars. Come on man. Most people would say 345-400hp is more than anybody could possibly ever need....
On the street yes. I always wonder why people are so attracted to the low end torque of the roots blowers, I run my centrifugal blower at 60% on the street and can spin the tires at 80 mph, I'm not sure how safe more low end torque would be, my car is already dangerous. To each his own I guess...
Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
On the street yes. I always wonder why people are so attracted to the low end torque of the roots blowers, I run my centrifugal blower at 60% on the street and can spin the tires at 80 mph, I'm not sure how safe more low end torque would be, my car is already dangerous. To each his own I guess...
I'd like more power down low myself, but am looking at 402+ cubic inches to give me what I need, vs switching to a different style blower(I like how smooth the power comes on with my D1).
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 AM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by user_name
To the OP, what is "massive HP"?

If 550rwhp is massive you could go with a KB or Maggie. Both would be great for a DD. I'd lean towards the Maggie b/c they have shown to be extremely reliable and are cheaper.

If massive HP is 700, 800, or more you will be going centrifugal.

Your mpg should barely change on any of those IF you stay out of boost. It is easier to do that with a centri.
Maggie's aren't cheaper any more. Kenne Bell comes with a hood and I believe it's still cheaper.

Maggies do have more hood options though. The Kenne Bell hood is atrocious IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Different blower types for daily driver--good gas and massive hp

Quick Reply: Different blower types for daily driver--good gas and massive hp