C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tial 50mm bov which spring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Tial 50mm bov which spring?

I'd like to replace the bosch bov that comes with the ECS paxton kit to a tial bov. It seems you have a choice of springs you can order it with, 7, 9, 11 and 12 psi. What would you suggest for a novi that will see about 15lbs of boost?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

look on their site they tell ya what ya need based off vacuum

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_bov50_sp.pdf

-22 and -23 in/Hg Pink -12 Psi (-24 in/Hg )
-18 and -21 in/Hg Un-painted -11 Psi (-22 in/Hg )
-14 and -17 in/Hg White -9 Psi (-18 in/Hg )
-10 and -13 in/Hg Black -7 Psi (-14 in/Hg )

Last edited by slothy; 03-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by slothy
look on their site they tell ya what ya need based off vacuum

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_bov50_sp.pdf

-22 and -23 in/Hg Pink -12 Psi (-24 in/Hg )
-18 and -21 in/Hg Un-painted -11 Psi (-22 in/Hg )
-14 and -17 in/Hg White -9 Psi (-18 in/Hg )
-10 and -13 in/Hg Black -7 Psi (-14 in/Hg )
has nothing to do with your boost, I have the 11psi spring in mine.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Okay, so a bigger cam that produces less vacuum at idle will require the smaller spring?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95vettski
Okay, so a bigger cam that produces less vacuum at idle will require the smaller spring?
yup, just see what your guage says at idle and when you let off and pick the spring that fits that range.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valve needs to be open at idle-so you need a spring for that. If not you'll be heating up your intercooler for no reason, not to mention if it's not setup properly the impellar will 'touchdown" if the valve doesn't open soon enough.

FWIW, Vortech, Paxton and Procharger do not recomend the use of these valves.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I and 2 others that I know are running the 11lb spring. No issues.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Thats the one I have aswell.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

I know, alot folks run it because it looks cool and sounds cool. When I was tuning a customer's car last year the IAT temps on steady cruise where in the 100's-120's when the ambient temps where in the 80's. The Vortech B57 and the Procharger "Big Red" are similar designs to the Tial but there's no need for "different springs". The valves are fully open at idle and cruise and close shut as soon as boost comes in.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Arun@ChampionMotors
I know, alot folks run it because it looks cool and sounds cool. When I was tuning a customer's car last year the IAT temps on steady cruise where in the 100's-120's when the ambient temps where in the 80's. The Vortech B57 and the Procharger "Big Red" are similar designs to the Tial but there's no need for "different springs". The valves are fully open at idle and cruise and close shut as soon as boost comes in.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Arun, I have always revered you as a pioneer, pushing the limits of the engines and supporting mods and respect your opinion. I read your previous posts about this and was reluctant to go the way of the BOV until Taylor from Dallas Performance, whom I also hold in high regard recommended one to me. At the time, I was in a bind and trying to solve my bypass valve trouble so I could get to the track, so Taylor welded the Tial flange on for me and I was on my way. I have had the opportunity to log my IAT's while cruising and have not yielded the same results you mention. With the Vortech race valve, on a 100° day, I have seen my IAT's get up to 115-118°, but never higher. After changing to the Tial, I noticed no rise in IAT's. I save all of my logs and date them, so when I get a chance, I will review them again and post up my findings.
I certainly do like the sound. It makes me smile.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Arun, I have always revered you as a pioneer, pushing the limits of the engines and supporting mods and respect your opinion. I read your previous posts about this and was reluctant to go the way of the BOV until Taylor from Dallas Performance, whom I also hold in high regard recommended one to me. At the time, I was in a bind and trying to solve my bypass valve trouble so I could get to the track, so Taylor welded the Tial flange on for me and I was on my way. I have had the opportunity to log my IAT's while cruising and have not yielded the same results you mention. With the Vortech race valve, on a 100° day, I have seen my IAT's get up to 115-118°, but never higher. After changing to the Tial, I noticed no rise in IAT's. I save all of my logs and date them, so when I get a chance, I will review them again and post up my findings.
I certainly do like the sound. It makes me smile.
Bro-there is nothing worng with your choice, it's just not what I would have picked that's all.
Now, when you say "Race Valves" you mean the "small blue" one that comes with Andy's kits right? FWIW-that valve is way too small for a YSi, it only rated at 320cfm@8psi.
I run the "Big Red" on my car and I install it on most of the cars that I put together that run the "big blowers". With the valve this size at cruise you will never see IAT temps above ambient-so if it's 100 out, most likey you'll see temps around 90 while cruising. Another benefit to this is you'll keep heat opt of the intercooler as well.
Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, probably why my car is always in pieces but I guess I tend to "over engineer" everything.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Arun@ChampionMotors
Bro-there is nothing worng with your choice, it's just not what I would have picked that's all.
Now, when you say "Race Valves" you mean the "small blue" one that comes with Andy's kits right? FWIW-that valve is way too small for a YSi, it only rated at 320cfm@8psi.
I run the "Big Red" on my car and I install it on most of the cars that I put together that run the "big blowers". With the valve this size at cruise you will never see IAT temps above ambient-so if it's 100 out, most likey you'll see temps around 90 while cruising. Another benefit to this is you'll keep heat opt of the intercooler as well.
Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, probably why my car is always in pieces but I guess I tend to "over engineer" everything.
Not getting defensive here. Just trying to show respect while having an open discussion. I see folks get in ridiculous arguments on line because sometimes what is written is subject to interpretation and I just wanted to make sure you know where I'm comin from.
Andy told me I was on the edge with that little blue valve. I found out quickly I was over it.
Splitting hairs is sometimes what wins races! Sometimes it also causes war!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Not getting defensive here. Just trying to show respect while having an open discussion. I see folks get in ridiculous arguments on line because sometimes what is written is subject to interpretation and I just wanted to make sure you know where I'm comin from.
Andy told me I was on the edge with that little blue valve. I found out quickly I was over it.
Splitting hairs is sometimes what wins races! Sometimes it also causes war!
No worries bro, I never took it as you getting defensive. I remember way, way back when By-Pass, BOV's were not even used. Back then the R-trim Vortech was the blower of choice. Larocca and Nitrous Pete would either blow off there intake tubes or trash the blower after a 1/4 mile pass. Now that had to get expensive!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I'm also running a 50mm tial valve with no issues.
I switch from a Vortech Mondo valve, which is currently for sale here, and have no issues.

I'm not sure which spring I have in the tial. You do have to make sure the valve is open @ idle though.
I took my vacuum gauge and measured at which point the mondo opened then just made sure the tial did the same.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

11# didn't release the pressure on my car. switched to the 9# and it works great.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 95vettski
I'd like to replace the bosch bov that comes with the ECS paxton kit to a tial bov. It seems you have a choice of springs you can order it with, 7, 9, 11 and 12 psi. What would you suggest for a novi that will see about 15lbs of boost?

Thanks
hey bro the Tial company BOV Wesite only shows you three style springs i beleive 11-9-7 pounds thats cuase the Tial was made for turbos only they do make a three pound spring strickly for superchargers...use only that if you dont want to mess up the supercharger unit you always want to have that sucker opened at idle you dont want to back surge going to the blower...thats a fast way to blow the seals and have oil in the tubes...call the tech office they will tell you the same
Verocious motorsports has them or can get them
Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Arun, I finally got to look at my logs before and after installing the Tial and wanted to let everyone know that you were right. My IAT's in the middle of August were in the low 90's and in early November they were low 120's. Definitely something to consider when purchasing a BOV.

Get notified of new replies

To Tial 50mm bov which spring?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
HotRod68Camaro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, maybe ill start keeping my eye open for used Big Reds.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Arun, I finally got to look at my logs before and after installing the Tial and wanted to let everyone know that you were right. My IAT's in the middle of August were in the low 90's and in early November they were low 120's. Definitely something to consider when purchasing a BOV.
is your tial BOV opening at idle like it should? I just can't see how the IAT's would be higher if the BOV's are operating the same way.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
LB
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobz,

I requested they send the lightest spring available as this was what we needed in order for it to release pressure at idle. I also use this spring on my turbo car.

Quick Reply: Tial 50mm bov which spring?