C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug and wire life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
whitelite
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Spark plug and wire life?

My 2k Maggie has original plug wires. The plugs were put in with the Maggie at about 30k miles. I now have 55k, so about 30k on the plugs and 55k/8yrs on the wires. I have had a miss/stumble at about 1200 rpm for a long time. It's only under light acceleration and only for a milisecond then it's fine.

Is it time for new plugs and wires or back to Dr Phil to look at the tune?
Thanks,
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
whitelite
Pro

No opinions???????
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I would look at the tune, but I have my own HPtuners. The plugs and wires would act up at WOT more than anything if they were bad due to the fact that cylinder pressure decreases spark. If you're paying a tuner, I would replace plugs and wires first due to the fact that it's cheap. NGK TR6 gapped at .035 and GM hotwires.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tunes don't just all of a sudden cause misfires. if it ran fine for a while after the tune then I would look at the easy to diagnose ignition related stuff first before you get too invasive.

So check your plugs and make sure they are gapped consistantly and to the right amount. since they are already out you might as well replace them. Ohm out your plug wires & clean the MAF sensor too.

other easy things you can do are to pull the codes, if there are any. Check that all the injector harnesses are seated correctly on the injectors. make sure the front O2 sensors are all working 100%...
Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can also be a sign of an O2 sensor on the way out.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 AM
whitelite
Pro

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I would look at the tune, but I have my own HPtuners. The plugs and wires would act up at WOT more than anything if they were bad due to the fact that cylinder pressure decreases spark. If you're paying a tuner, I would replace plugs and wires first due to the fact that it's cheap. NGK TR6 gapped at .035 and GM hotwires.
Why GM hotwires instead of aftermarket, like MSG #32819 or ACCEL.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't hurt to have a fresh set of plugs and wires. As cheap as they are.

Shahram
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
tunes don't just all of a sudden cause misfires. if it ran fine for a while after the tune then I would look at the easy to diagnose ignition related stuff first before you get too invasive.

So check your plugs and make sure they are gapped consistantly and to the right amount. since they are already out you might as well replace them. Ohm out your plug wires & clean the MAF sensor too.

other easy things you can do are to pull the codes, if there are any. Check that all the injector harnesses are seated correctly on the injectors. make sure the front O2 sensors are all working 100%...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 PM
whitelite
Pro

Originally Posted by LRD VDR
Couldn't hurt to have a fresh set of plugs and wires. As cheap as they are.

Shahram
I think that's good advise, Are the MSG 8.5mm red wires OK.
Just happens that they look good
Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost

whats the best way to clean MAF it appeas fragile ,GM servie says don't touch, but many say perodic cleaning a must .Comments
anybody??/?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

most autoparts stores sell MAF cleaner in a spray can.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug and wire life?

Quick Reply: Spark plug and wire life?