C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosted 346 w/ AFR 225's cracks 800 RWHP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Boosted 346 w/ AFR 225's cracks 800 RWHP!

Guys,

Just thought I would share some impressive results on behalf of Glenn Dillon (the owner of the car in question) who called me a few months ago questioning whether I thought that number was possible. He already had an impressive combination that was generating consistent results in the high 600's (RWHP) which obviously isn't too shabby for a 346 on pump gas. As Glenn shared with me at the time, any result with an "8" in front of it and he would be ecstatic. I told him that if we optimized everything I thought it was possible, but certainly not "probable". He knew it was a big undertaking knowing part of the challenge was the fact he wanted to retain the same blower (a D1SC which is on the small side for that type of power goal), and he wanted to try and keep the boost level the same (15-16 PSI) because he felt that was the most boost he could run reliably on pump gas....which I also agreed with. He said he wouldn't be horribly upset if we "only made 775", but made it clear he would feel alot better about the money he was about to spend if we nailed 800+....LOL

His original set-up was no slouch so we had our work cut out for us. A brief rundown of his former combination would consist of what Glenn describes as a "max effort" set of ported LS6 castings (done by a very reputable shop) that were fitted with oversize valves, a stock LS6 intake and a ported and epoxied OEM TB, a set of Kooks 1.75 long tubes, and since Glenn wanted to retain smooth stock like driving manners the cam was a bit conservative with 214 on the intake and 224 on the exhaust (around .570 lift) with a 114 LSA.

Lets talk about the new set-up and what we changed in search of trying to nail Glenn's somewhat lofty goals.

We swapped the ported 243 castings for a pair of AFR 225's (PN 1630)....Glenn also opted to have me do some light porting and optimization work to the heads knowing he couldn't afford to leave many stones unturned if he was serious about getting there. After the porting work I milled the heads slightly to match his stockers so the static CR remained the same as his former combo.

Next on the list was the cam....I couldn't get too aggressive here knowing Glenn also valued a more "refined" package so I had Comp grind us a custom cam (XER lobes) with 224 on the intake and 230 on the exhaust but in an effort to keep it street friendly and smooth I ground it on a slightly wider LSA to reduce some of the overlap the bigger lobes introduced (115 LSA). That fact coupled with the shorter seat timing of the XER lobes left us with idle and drivability that matched the original combination....mission accomplished there.

Any of you that have spent more than three days on this board could probably guess the next part to go....yep....lets ditch the LS6 intake set-up in favor of one of my ported 90mm FAST units. Contrary to popular opinion it does help a blower engine much the same as it helps an N/A combo to produce more power....especially one we were trying to move some serious air thru. I also provided Glenn with a ported LS2 TB to compliment the FAST.

Last on the list was the headers....as much as I don't like recommending things to people where they have to spend money twice, this was a situation where it was really warranted if Glenn was serious about trying to nail the 800 mark. He of course joked and reminded me how I liked to help him spend his money , but he is also tech savvy and knew it was the right move. So the phone call to Kooks was made and he purchased a larger set of their headers with a 1.875 primary pipe.

Last on the list was something more aimed at reliability than actual HP improvement and that was the addition of a set of Yella Terra ultralite rockers (stock 1.7 ratio). The main benefit here is valve guide wear or the lack there of....the Yella Terras leave a very narrow and centered wipe pattern when set up properly and they will literally quadruple your expected service life of the softer bronze guides found in most performance cylinder heads. The stock rockers have a huge wipe pattern and side load the valves considerably. I also feel due to less flex and better geometry the upgraded rockers probably added 3-5 RWHP and that was a nice perk as well, but reliability and reduced guide wear are the larger reasons to purchase these.

So on to the final results posted below....needless to say Glenn was ecstatic and the car feels incredible (when he can get a little traction). What I really like is the fact there was zero loss in power anywhere, and as the RPM's climb and airflow starts to become more important, the curves just start parting ways and in grand fashion at the top end of the power curve. Note the boys at New England Dyno where Glenn tuned and dyno'ed both combo's didn't spend a whole lot of fuss to get to the results you see below. In fact Glenn is already talking about going back to see how much some additional time spent tuning may be worth, but for now he will just have to live with only 805 RWHP on pump gas (with methanol injection btw in both combo's). I don't know if that's a 346 record or not as I don't spend enough time in the forced induction section of the various message boards I visit, but I do know its damn impressive, especially with what I know to be more of a large street blower than an all out race blower which could have made similar boost at much lower blower speeds (effectively not heating the charge as much and generating more power as a net result).

Congrats Glenn....enjoy the new combination!

Regards,
Tony

PS....Ignore the ASM Motorsports in the dyno gragh. That's there because I downloaded the dyno files Glenn sent me on my home PC. They are actual dyno tests (old combo and new combo) that were both conducted at New England Dyno in Massachusetts which I also mentioned above but wanted to clarify to avoid confusion.

PSS....Dont forget guys these are SAE corrected numbers....in fact notice the correction factor which was .98 (the uncorrected number btw was 825 RWHP which coincidentally would be the exact figure if we posted an STD correction factor).

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Z06wanted
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good numbers man.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Nice well thought out set-up.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

SaWeet Numbers
Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

That's insane man!

What to do with all that power

And I was happy with the 640 RWHP I got

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 PM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Good numbers! I will be looking to forge mine out sooner or later!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Goes to show what a great combination of parts will do.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and great numbers for stock cube engine . Just goes to show what a well engineered package will do.

Mike
Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 AM
stainless40cal
Drifting

Correct combo's make great power

Thats a ton of power on a d1sc

Last edited by stainless40cal; 04-07-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
glennd
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Congrats and great numbers for stock cube engine . Just goes to show what a well engineered package will do.

Mike
Thanks Mike: I appreciate the compliment, you have answered some of my questions, that have helped me acheive my goal.
Glenn
Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

That really is smokin through a DS1C, there is a future for these little blowers after all
Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by black98c5
Wow, Goes to show what a great combination of parts will do.
Nice combo guys!!!

I'll be back on the dyno with Charlie soon, and may take a stab at 800 myself!!!

Congrats!

JB
Old 04-07-2008, 05:41 PM
0Arun@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Finally Glen gives the okay to post this! Gotta love those D1SC's-hell sometimes I think I should stick one back on my car. Good job buddy-thanks for the pulley BTW!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:17 PM
427fIc5z06
Instructor

Unbelievable results from a stock displacement motor and a D1SC blower!
What's the motor's static compression ratio?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
glennd
Pro

The static comp is 9.2:1
Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Great numbers for such a simple, well thought out package! Heck, Great numbers for any package now that I think about it!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Looks like my Tex 0Z 700 single disc clutch is not going to do the job, which one is this beast using?

Get notified of new replies

To Boosted 346 w/ AFR 225's cracks 800 RWHP!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Looks like my Tex 0Z 700 single disc clutch is not going to do the job, which one is this beast using?
He's actually running a dual carbon RPS unit that I recommended and had a hand in the design and R&D of (can you say many clutch swaps....LOL). It's a killer piece with perfect street manners and low inertia for clean shifts but its not cheap (nothing of high quality ever is and no one knows that better than a Corvette owner!). Its a true carbon on carbon design meaning it also has a carbon fibre floater disc as well (not carbon on steel like some other units which doesnt work as well). Here's some info from RPS....

The HP rating is abit conservative in this literature and a clutch is better rated in terms of RWTQ capacity, not really RWHP (but most people focus on the HP numbers). Rob is comfortable with 750 RWTQ with this unit and that can produce alot of HP depending on RPM. If you need more he also has a triple design rated to 1000 RWTQ but its not quite as street friendly as the twin (heavier clutch pedal), so if you dont need it your better off here (the only real difference besides the added cost (for the triple disc unit) is the pedal pressure....if you dont mind a heavier pedal the engagement is actually still very smooth and its a nice driving clutch.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info....Im sure Glenn can chime in with his input as well.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-07-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
glennd
Pro

I am very pleased with the smooth engagement and the fact that it holds the torque. I have tried other clutches and have not been pleased. Yes it is more expensive than some other twin choices, however at these torque levels the number of choices are less and the prices are higher. I am very pleased with this choice, and I think it is worth the money. This is the clutch listed above with a little extra clamp pressure. Pedal pressure is very reasonable.

Last edited by glennd; 04-07-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
99 C-5 F1C VETTE
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job, I love these big hp cars...

Quick Reply: Boosted 346 w/ AFR 225's cracks 800 RWHP!