C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Syn. Oil for Supercharged Motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that test is pretty old...

I haven't heard that before about it being 'sponsored' by Royal Purple but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Anyone have any emperical data showing RP sponsored the test?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

and wonder why amsoil wasn't in it.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Dude that test has been posted on here for maybe the last 4-5 years. And I thought it was concluded it was done and sponsored by Royal Purple...and that for FI RP doesn't withstand heat that well.

It's been repeated for a long time now to say the least.

Bro,

Obviously I haven't been paying close attention to the oil threads!!

Heck, I am still using a non-synthetic 5W-30 in my blown Z as I am still breaking in its new forged motor built 1 year ago and want to minimize any chance of oil consumption!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-06-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was using royal purple until I pulled another guys engine apart that had been using castrol syntec.... I was a believer at that point. I made the switch to syntec and havent looked back.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

So there appears not to be one test out there that positively confirms one brand oil is better than all the others. Just when you think you might have read results of some tests you see another test or hear some back room info that the testing might have been tainted a little bit and back to square one.

I always said if there was one brand oil out there that was positively proved to be so much better than all the others then the "other" brands would not be selling and the millions of high performance enthusiasts out there would only be running that one brand oil. Now I admit each oil has its own certain characteristics/conditions its known to work well under but for the most part we on here anyway seem to be looking for the oil brand that ours cars like in particular.

So on the Vette forums there apparently is not 1 oil brand that ranks so high over the next one that no one on here is using anything but the highest performing brand. At a meet at one of the road race tracks one year I asked only Vette owners what brand oil they were using. I heard probably 12 different answers. So there ya go...even between knowledgeable Vette owners who want only the best in their engines still cant majority agree what is the "best".

Most of the bearing load tests machines ive seen like the link up above used the oil are at room temperatures. Id like to see the oil heated up to 220 and then run the same test. I'm sure some oil perform better at start up temps while they might not be the best at operation temps and vice versa.

So I am about ready for a oil change and again i am at the crossroads of..shall I try something different or stick with what Ive had in the car from day 1...

Last edited by briann510; 02-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I don't think there are any BAD oils out there, like some manufactures or sould I say vendors, would like you to believe. according to the snake oil salesmen on this and everyother forum I'm on unless you're using their particular oil you're causing damage to your motor and losing HP.

I've run royal purple A LOT in my other car and thru oil analysis testing from Blackstone labs I can tell its a quality product. I recently tried the Motul line of fluids and the last sample I sent to blackstone confirmed that was also a quality oil. In the vet I've tried RP and just recently mobil 1 15w50. THe royal purple came back fine with the exception of some coolant contamination from when my HG blew. I haven't sent the mobil 1 15w-50 in for testing yet.

Last edited by AlwaysInBoost; 02-06-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:26 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been running RP 5w20 for years
Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
MARC S.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody try the new lucas FI oil. i know the blown alcohol cars have great results with lucas. im trying it on my next oil change
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Bro,

Obviously I haven't been paying close attention to the oil threads!!

Heck, I am still using a non-synthetic 5W-30 in my blown Z as I am still breaking in its new forged motor built 1 year ago and want to minimize any chance of oil consumption!

Didn't say your weren't paying attention just commented that it was an old thread...no offense meant.

As far as motors...I have broken in two forged motors and have had ZERO oil consumption. I ran dyno oil for 500 miles then switched out to Mobil 1. Now I am onto to Shell Rotella Full Syn. I have heard great things about RP with NA setup. Until Always In Boost reported his oil analysis that is the first I have heard about it's performance.....good info.

I worry about using it in Turbos though because the oil circulates through the turbo and gets pretty toastie. When I had a SC I don't remember my oil getting hot as quick..but with my engine oil cooler it takes a long time to get to 212*......talking hours of driving in 100* whether.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
I don't think there are any BAD oils out there, like some manufactures or sould I say vendors, would like you to believe. according to the snake oil salesmen on this and everyother forum I'm on unless you're using their particular oil you're causing damage to your motor and losing HP.

I've run royal purple A LOT in my other car and thru oil analysis testing from Blackstone labs I can tell its a quality product. I recently tried the Motul line of fluids and the last sample I sent to blackstone confirmed that was also a quality oil. In the vet I've tried RP and just recently mobil 1 15w50. THe royal purple came back fine with the exception of some coolant contamination from when my HG blew. I haven't sent the mobil 1 15w-50 in for testing yet.
Keep us posted on the result of the 15w-50. Which RP did you use and get tested?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 AM
orangecrrrush
Pro

I have been using Amsoil 15/50 in my both of my TT cars with forged motors. I dont think Amsoil is making the 20/50 Race syn oil anymore.

Either way... I have been very happy with the results. I have been running both cars, one for a year and the other for two years at high boost levels.

Amsoil is supposed to resist breakdown. I run c16 race gas in my cars and the oil holds up real well.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Didn't say your weren't paying attention just commented that it was an old thread...no offense meant.

As far as motors...I have broken in two forged motors and have had ZERO oil consumption. I ran dyno oil for 500 miles then switched out to Mobil 1. Now I am onto to Shell Rotella Full Syn. I have heard great things about RP with NA setup. Until Always In Boost reported his oil analysis that is the first I have heard about it's performance.....good info.

I worry about using it in Turbos though because the oil circulates through the turbo and gets pretty toastie. When I had a SC I don't remember my oil getting hot as quick..but with my engine oil cooler it takes a long time to get to 212*......talking hours of driving in 100* whether.
Trust me my old friend, no offense (even close to being) taken!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 PM
neilaf71
Heel & Toe

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/sso_4ball_large.gif

check this out i would not run anything but amsoil. i have run amsoil in eveything i own (lawn movers, dirtbikes, race cars, trucks everything) for the last 15 years! they are the best. also have the most patents.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
neilaf71
Heel & Toe

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/dominat...urBall_900.jpg

here is one on the royal crap purple!!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Ive been reading up on Amsoil also and it seems to be good but I swear until I see some conclusive tests from some sources coming to same conclusions of an overall brand thats always in 1st or 2nd im still on the fence what to switch to. Wish it could be bought locally instead of online cause I hate paying for shipping of anything.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 AM
neilaf71
Heel & Toe

yea i would rather have a retailer add the shipping and than markup the price instead of just paying the shipping that makes sense. do people think before they speak or what
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by neilaf71
http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/sso_4ball_large.gif

check this out i would not run anything but amsoil. i have run amsoil in eveything i own (lawn movers, dirtbikes, race cars, trucks everything) for the last 15 years! they are the best. also have the most patents.
This has been around for a bit too.

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/dominat...urBall_900.jpg

here is one on the royal crap purple!!
Same here.

yea i would rather have a retailer add the shipping and than markup the price instead of just paying the shipping that makes sense. do people think before they speak or what
And now a personal attack because a guy had a preference.

I am guessing you are an Amsoil dealer?

Get notified of new replies

To Best Syn. Oil for Supercharged Motors

Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-08-2009, 02:10 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Well in all fairness I suppose he has a point since a couple gallons of oil does weigh a lot and I now see after further looking at their website the shipping charges area flat rate per lb and not calculated afterwards to the zip code where its shipped to.

I'm just tired of getting ripped by some vendors shipping charges that are added AFTER the transaction is done and a surprise $ amount cause it isnt disclosed up front what they might be.

Last edited by briann510; 02-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by briann510
Well in all fairness I suppose he has a point since a couple gallons of oil does weigh a lot and I now see after further looking at their website the shipping charges area flat rate per lb and not calculated afterwards to the zip code where its shipped to.

I'm just tired of getting ripped by some vendors shipping charges that are added AFTER the transaction is done and a surprise $ amount cause it isnt disclosed up front what they might be.
Maybe so...but it was just anticlimatic to read what he was posting just to end with "do people think before they speak or what".

Looking at it from the start.

First response was posting info about Amsoil (not bad...on topic).

Second response was calling RP crap (his opinion...stil on topic).

Third post was in response to you and insinuating that you didn't think before you spoke because you had an opinion (in general) about shipping charges. (not on topic) but very defensive.

This lead to my question of asking if he was an Amsoil dealer. Just wondering what the motivation for his attack was...and if he was an Amsoil dealer if he could provide information like Subdriver does when it comes to oil comparisons on this forum.

It would be nice to see some new comparisons between the other oils and Amsoil. Especially the high temp sheer of Rotella T Full Sin.

Quick Reply: Best Syn. Oil for Supercharged Motors