C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single turbo on.Car is overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Single turbo on.Car is overheating.

I finally have everything together and the car runs I drained as much coolant as I could and plugged the heater lines at the water pump and the overflow bottle.I also plugged one of the nipples on the top of the rad on the passenger side.The other nipple is hooked up to the upper nipple on the overflow tank. I can't seem to get enough water back in the motor and it gets to 240 within about 5 minutes of running parked.The upper and lower rad hose are barely warm and I can touch the thermostat housing with out burning myself.I changed the thermostat and still the same thing.The car now has only one fan and it does not come on till 230-240.Before I did all this work the car never went over 220.I poured water into the upper rad hose from the rad end hoping to fill the block.It didn't take much.Did I screw things up by plugging the heater lines?
Thanks in advance.
Take care.

Last edited by 396375; 03-21-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
LCZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 123 Posts

I assume you had to drain your coolant for the turbo install. Was the coolant system, “burped” correctly upon refill?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM
427fIc5z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that getting the radiator properly filled is tedious and time consuming. I ended up drilling a series of tiny holes (maybe 0.03") in the thermostat itself. Saw this tip in a LS1 hotrod book. Worked well for me.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

No it wasn't.Should I give it a good swift kick in the *** What is the procedure? I thought it would just keep pulling coolant from the tank till full.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by LCZ06
I assume you had to drain your coolant for the turbo install. Was the coolant system, “burped” correctly upon refill?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Red C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may also want to make sure your fan is pulling air instead of pushing it through. Sounds simple but easy mistake to make. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

I've personally had no issues refilling a C5 cooling system.
Seems to refill just fine each time, no overheating issues.
I just refilled mine the other day, after the blowshield install(had to remove both turbos/manifolds) and no problems whatsoever.

Maybe it has something to do with the heater lines.
Good luck.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
I've personally had no issues refilling a C5 cooling system.
Seems to refill just fine each time, no overheating issues.
I just refilled mine the other day, after the blowshield install(had to remove both turbos/manifolds) and no problems whatsoever.

Maybe it has something to do with the heater lines.
Good luck.

I have done dozens of these and there are no issues.

Take the small hose off the cross over on top of the block, fill the overflow bottle until coolant comes out of the hose on the top of the block, put the hose back on, run the car. Check it the next day and top it off if you need to.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 PM
LCZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 123 Posts

Good info

http://www.ehow.com/how_7369_burp-ca....html?ref=fuel
Old 03-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You Da Man!I didn'y memorize your post and just went to the shop and found the crossover line.I pulled one line and added a small funnel.It took me about 30 miinutes:o to slowly add 1 ounce at a time.It drianed real slow ,but it worked.After firing the car up it never went over 200 degrees.Nothing was drawn out of the overflow.Hopefully when I drive it will take some more water from the tank.Now the whole system only has 1 gallon of dextron in it and half of that is in the overfow.
Thanks again.
Take care.

Originally Posted by BLOWNZO6

I have done dozens of these and there are no issues.

Take the small hose off the cross over on top of the block, fill the overflow bottle until coolant comes out of the hose on the top of the block, put the hose back on, run the car. Check it the next day and top it off if you need to.

Get notified of new replies

To Single turbo on.Car is overheating.

Quick Reply: Single turbo on.Car is overheating.