C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two-step?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I paid for one of the 3 showing available on eBay yesterday, and it's already shipped. Hoping for a weekend installation with a LOT of pics and R&D on making it an "invisible" installation, I.E. it will only be active in 1st with the clutch pedal down.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The two step showed up today. Looks solid and totally plug and play:

There are only two leads, a ground activation and a +12v activation lead. I am guessing that the simplest install here would be a pedal switch installed on the clutch pedal, but so that the unit only activates with the clutch pedal fully depressed to the floor (e.g., that way it won't ever kick in during normal driving).

I'm very excited to get this bad boy plugged in!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
NigelTufnel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
The two step showed up today. Looks solid and totally plug and play:

There are only two leads, a ground activation and a +12v activation lead. I am guessing that the simplest install here would be a pedal switch installed on the clutch pedal, but so that the unit only activates with the clutch pedal fully depressed to the floor (e.g., that way it won't ever kick in during normal driving).

I'm very excited to get this bad boy plugged in!

I installed mine this weekend using the clutch pedal switch as the activation trigger. I ended up using a relay to keep the existing start safety interlock circuit functional. The clutch switch provides 12 V power to the relay and to the 12 volt activation trigger of the module (yellow wire). A normally open contact from the relay provides the clutch interlock signal to the safety circuit. So far it works as advertised.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:29 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder since you are using the clutch pedal to activate the launch control rev limit if you can also use it as a NLTS (no lift to shift) aid.

Since its wired to the clutch switch, and pushing the clutch activates the rev limit at whatever RPM you tell it (say 5k RPM), when you keep your foot floored during shifts & bang the clutch pedal the RPM should DROP to 5K, or where you have it set instead of rising up.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now *that* is an interesting point, AlwaysInBoost... specifically for TT cars that would be big, as lift between shifts creates a little bit of lag.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jhaines
I realize this is an old thread but we are releasing our own 2-step/launch controller this week. It should be on the web site in the next couple of days and is actually already on the eBay store. I hope to have engine dyno video to post somewhere soon. I also hope to get pictures and video from some of our beta customers that I could post as well.

Jason Haines
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering
Hi Jason,
Ordered mine last week.

Rob.
CHAMPION MOTORS INC.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never closing the throttle plate would mean boost wouldn't drop, or need to recover much if at all, between shifts. Plus it would be much easier on the drive train then regular flat shifting. I'd bet everyone (NA,SC & turbo cars) who races would benifit from it.

The only thing you would have to be careful of is if you rev-match your down shifts too high in the RPM w/the clutch pedal in you might hit the rev limiter.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
0jhaines
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2-step on the shifts

It wasn't on a turbocharged car but we had a customer test the 2-step over the weekend and allow it to activate on the shifts. He said it made it easier to WOT shift.

We have made some significant updates to the instructions with wiring diagrams for several of the common activation configurations including:
- clutch switch
- clutch switch with line-lock
- clutch switch with line-lock and nitrous
- AT with line-lock
- AT with line-lock and nitrous

The updated instructions should be on the LPE web site tomorrow (Tuesday the 2nd) but I can email them to anyone that sends me a PM with an email address or that emails me directly.

We are working on adapting our vehicle speed relay box to allow that also to be used as a way to trigger the 2-step. Hopefully we will have that tested soon. Our vehicle speed relay takes the GM vehicle speed input from the ECM/PCM and turns it into a voltage output to send to some boost controllers and other devices that need a 0-5 volt output. The vehicle speed relay also have two programmable outputs that can trigger relays or indicate boost stages/shifts to other devices. We are looking at using this to disable the 2-step once you are moving (either by itself or in conjuction with a clutch switch).

We got 10 more ready today but I think 4 of them ended up shipping out today. I think we only have 4 or 5 remaining from that batch of 10. We hope to have 10 more ready by next Monday.

BTW - we put one on an engine on the dyno. Here is some video of it on the dyno:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/LNC-001-17mg.mpg

Jason
jhaines@lingenfelter.com

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
never closing the throttle plate would mean boost wouldn't drop, or need to recover much if at all, between shifts. Plus it would be much easier on the drive train then regular flat shifting. I'd bet everyone (NA,SC & turbo cars) who races would benifit from it.

The only thing you would have to be careful of is if you rev-match your down shifts too high in the RPM w/the clutch pedal in you might hit the rev limiter.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 AM
01c5z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would this benefit me on my 408 nitrous 4l60e vette?? could someone explain to me how a 2-step works more or less... Im familiar with a trans break but not a 2-step...
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Here's my question: Using the 2-step on shifts, if you've got it set at 3-4K RPM and are shifting at 6K plus, even if only for an instance, wouldn't loading up the exhaust and just the overall quickness that the RPM's get reeled in cause some loading up of fuel in the exhaust and some pretty good backfiring???
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
0jhaines
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default New updated timing retard software for Lingenfelter launch controller (2-step)

I thought this might be of interest to some people.

We will soon be releasing new software for the Lingenfelter launch controllers (2-steps) that allows them to also act as timing retard boxes. They will be able to retard the timing by up to 10 degrees (1 to 10 degrees in 1 degree increments). The timing retard can be activated when the 2-step is active or not active. It can be used to retard timing when you trigger nitrous or to help build additional boost off the line on a turbo car.

For existing Lingenfelter launch controller customers, we plan to offer a software upgrade option for around $25.

Jason

Originally Posted by jhaines
I realize this is an old thread but we are releasing our own 2-step/launch controller this week. It should be on the web site in the next couple of days and is actually already on the eBay store. I hope to have engine dyno video to post somewhere soon. I also hope to get pictures and video from some of our beta customers that I could post as well.

Jason Haines
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering

Quick Reply: Two-step?