C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 408 finally close to done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 AM
gymtitan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo 408 finally close to done!

My 408 single turbo with RPM trans with 2 step and eboost controller and Yank stall finally going back together next week.

I had alot of issues with this project with my job transfer the car was in Atlanta I am living in Carmel, IN so I had ED Potter from late model speed go to Atlanta to get the car and start from scratch to put the car back together.

The 408 is at his shop and at 8.5 comp chasis dynoed at engine shop 497hp-492tq with forged parts and Trick flow heads.

The single turbo is a 76 mm custom by MDMC and the trans is a stage V from RPM! ED suggested the 2 stage and eboost do not know much about the eboost but i want multiple settings with ability to power up for track days.

The car will start going back together monday now that all parts are in and Ed is going to track progress with pics along the way that I will post.

So now what do you guys think I will hit HP and tq wise on street tune and strip tune?

I am looking for 700-750 street and of course more with strip tune? Will post dyno results and also we are going to track tune car at IRP in Indy so we will also have times as we progress!

Car has been apart for over 6 months and I can not wait to get it back!

Also ED Potter has been around for awhile and I have heard great things about him. He is a great guy to work with and lives up to his great reputation.

Last edited by gymtitan; 04-02-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gymtitan
My 408 single turbo with RPM trans with 2 step and eboost controller and Yank stall finally going back together next week.

I had alot of issues with this project with my job transfer the car was in Atlanta I am living in Carmel, IN so I had ED Potter from late model speed go to Atlanta to get the car and start from scratch to put the car back together.

The 408 is at his shop and at 8.5 comp chasis dynoed at engine shop 497hp-492tq with forged parts and Trick flow heads.

The single turbo is a 76 mm custom by MDMC and the trans is a stage V from RPM! ED suggested the 2 stage and eboost do not know much about the eboost but i want multiple settings with ability to power up for track days.

The car will start going back together monday now that all parts are in and Ed is going to track progress with pics along the way that I will post.

So now what do you guys think I will hit HP and tq wise on street tune and strip tune?

I am looking for 700-750 street and of course more with strip tune? Will post dyno results and also we are going to track tune car at IRP in Indy so we will also have times as we progress!

Car has been apart for over 6 months and I can not wait to get it back!

Also ED Potter has been around for awhile and I have heard great things about him but he is a great guy to work with and lives up to his great reputation.
I have little doubt that you'll make the 700rwhp. I had a similar setup (single turbo 76 GTS) on a stock displacement motor. It made ~ 750rwhp on meth and pump gas. It ran pretty good. I started building a 400+CI motor and all the experts said that the T4 based 76GTS would be way out of its efficiency range on a motor that size and that at the very least I needed a T6 T76 or a T6 T88. I even talked to a few few guys that had put the 76 on ~ 400CI/so cars. They weren't too happy and ended up swapping out for a T88. I will be anxious to see how this turns out (intellectual curisoity). You'll definitely hit your numbers, but would love to know how much back pressure you are seeing. Good luck with the build.

Btw, what size dp?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
gymtitan
Racer

Default Earl

Honestly not for sure on the DP.

Thanks and I have seen alot of Fbodies making that HP with a 408 on a 76 turbo. But if a 88 is needed I will go that route.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Great! Post pics when done
Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Front mount or rear mount ? That turbo is on the small side for a 400+ cid motor , that's why I swapped my 76GTS for a Turbonetics ball bearing Y2K88 , the Y2K is a small frame 88 and is rated to 1400hp flywheel , the 76 is rated for a max of 1100 on the most effcient set up .
Old 03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
gymtitan
Racer

Default Turbo

It is a front mount kit. I posted pics a year ago when it was on my stock motor. Nice clean set up and as Ed works on car we will post pics. With my goals of 750hp street and maybe 850 strip It should be able (76mm) to do what I want but like i said if not a new unit is cheap compared to the total cost of what I will have in car.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 PM
oufan2929
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Having 497rwhp on that motor is awesome!! My low CR 408ci motor made 430/440 and it hit 800rwhp EASILY w/the paxton on it. Making 700+rwhp w/the right turbo will be a 91oct. cake walk. Throw the big t88 on there and 1000rhwp is all yours if you can keep the heads clamped down and add a little 104+ or better octane in w/it. Good luck w/it and after all the chaos is said and done, it'll be worth it in the end!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 PM
gymtitan
Racer

Originally Posted by oufan2929
Having 497rwhp on that motor is awesome!! My low CR 408ci motor made 430/440 and it hit 800rwhp EASILY w/the paxton on it. Making 700+rwhp w/the right turbo will be a 91oct. cake walk. Throw the big t88 on there and 1000rhwp is all yours if you can keep the heads clamped down and add a little 104+ or better octane in w/it. Good luck w/it and after all the chaos is said and done, it'll be worth it in the end!

Thanks and maybe I can finally use the CCW drag pack I bought from you that have been is storage for a year!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear a GT4718 screaming your name
Im with the rest of the camp. With a motor that has that much base HP Id have a pair of 42R's on there. I have a similar motor in a camaro and the 4202r's are making positive pressure below 3K and hitting like a sledgehammer in the **** between 3 and 4k.
A single T4 based 76 will have rootsblower like boost response, including part throttle boost.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM
0MDMCZ06
Former Vendor

Thanks for all the kind words Tim! I can't wait to get this car to the track

The engine is a masterpeice built by the guys down at Grimes Automotive, I was super impressed with the no-boost dyno numbers, this thing will easily exceed Tim's goals at the track, but still be a nice streetable car that isn't too scary on the street, which is what he's looking for. The one-off MDMC single front mount kit is very nice, and features all stainless steel construction, and 3" down pipes, and a very large front mount custom intercooler. It was hand fabricated by John Lee, and is very nice work.

We're using the best of everything, RPM Transmissions stg IV 4L60E, Yank converter & drive plate, DTE rear, Eboost2 controller with Synergy 2step and line lok

I just got back from Florida, but I will get some pics posted soon, as long as it's OK with Tim, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Ed
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 AM
gymtitan
Racer

Default Great!

Ed you can answer as many questions as you have time for and post pics. There is nothing secret about this project. We just want fast times!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM
racerrob333
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MDMCZ06
Thanks for all the kind words Tim! I can't wait to get this car to the track

The engine is a masterpeice built by the guys down at Grimes Automotive, I was super impressed with the no-boost dyno numbers, this thing will easily exceed Tim's goals at the track, but still be a nice streetable car that isn't too scary on the street, which is what he's looking for. The one-off MDMC single front mount kit is very nice, and features all stainless steel construction, and 3" down pipes, and a very large front mount custom intercooler. It was hand fabricated by John Lee, and is very nice work.

We're using the best of everything, RPM Transmissions stg IV 4L60E, Yank converter & drive plate, DTE rear, Eboost2 controller with Synergy 2step and line lok

I just got back from Florida, but I will get some pics posted soon, as long as it's OK with Tim, I would be happy to answer any questions.

Ed
Ed change your handle I would feel better but Im glad its in your hands now
Old 04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what many have said about turbo sizing.. Since I am on the Supra Forum often I have seen a lot of new T4 turbo's in the 80mm to 81mm range that are very promising. If a 3.0L motor can hit 1000rwhp easily with a Sound Performance new 81mm T4 turbo you should be able to hit that easily with much less boost. I am not saying that it would be efficient, but I am saying it is doable.. If you get a chance have Ed P. take a look over in the SF and maybe SP can do something for you guys. SP is also working on a C6Z06 at this moment..
Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 PM
gymtitan
Racer

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on the Supra Forum and I will have ED look at that. My Turbo is a T76 not a 76 GTS I am not sure what difference that makes but I think some. Thats why Ed is working on car and not me I just drive.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
gymtitan
Racer

Default Going to see

Going to take Ed my new brake kit rotors, pads, lines and to see what the progress is. Should be running next week then street tuning and hopefully track tuning at IRP in Indianaplois!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:53 PM
0MDMCZ06
Former Vendor

Good to see you Saturday Tim. I have been taking some pics of the work, and will try to sit down and sort through them in the next couple days so I can post a few.

Ed

Attached Images  

Last edited by MDMCZ06; 04-18-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 PM
0MDMCZ06
Former Vendor

Ed.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo 408 finally close to done!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
racerrob333
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

now that looks good
Old 04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ed.
There has been some discussion about putting a T88 in there...do you think it will fit? Any hood mods required?

Signed,

Former single turbo C5 owner (Twin Convert)...still a fan
Old 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM
hpcubed
Pro

Good to see you Saturday Tim. I have been taking some pics of the work, and will try to sit down and sort through them in the next couple days so I can post a few.

Ed

Can you tell me where you bought your heat shielding for the turbo turbine housings?

Quick Reply: Turbo 408 finally close to done!