Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth Sponsored by
A&A Superchargers

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
SiegZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SiegZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Jefferson City Missouri
Default LS7 swap in a C5 Z06

Anyone done an LS7 swap yet? Does it require similar changes as an LS2 does (knock sensor harness)? What other things need to be changed in the swap?

thanks
SiegZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
mdhmi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Detroit
Send a message via AIM to mdhmi Send a message via Yahoo to mdhmi
Default

I'm sure some folks with post with up the technical specifics, but yes - many people have installed LS7 motors in C5's.
mdhmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
gotjuice?
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
gotjuice?'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: NCM Lifetime#2195 Bulverde, Texas 78163
Default

Henderson Performance is in the process of finishing up one right now, Complete with dry sump, complete from Catech. Big Bucks!
gotjuice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Mopar Jimmy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06
 
Mopar Jimmy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegZ06 View Post
Anyone done an LS7 swap yet? Does it require similar changes as an LS2 does (knock sensor harness)? What other things need to be changed in the swap?

thanks
Yes, this is easily done however if you want to save yourself around $5,000 and make 100 more rwhp N/A on pump gas, then take a look at this real good:


http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675896


This is based on the new GM alum L92 block and heads which are LS style motors, all alum. just like on a LS2 motor, and power some of the current GM trucks, and the stroker kits are making 416 cubes and pumping out 550rwhp and 507rwtq for around $8,500 for the complete longblock!
__________________
2006 Black C6 Z06, black powder coated rims, CAI; B&B Bullet Exhaust, and of course 427 Badges ; Mopar Jimmy is back with a daily driver 2008 Dodge Challenger, 450hp Hemi SRT8, runs 12.7s with bolt ons, & a mean, Ralleye Green, 1969 Plymouth Road Runner machine, 600hp 505 ci, black steel wheels & black fiberglass 6-pack lift off hood. Thanks and Praise to GOD!
Mopar Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
Skunkworks
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: Chicagoland Area IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06 View Post
Yes, this is easily done however if you want to save yourself around $5,000 and make 100 more rwhp N/A on pump gas, then take a look at this real good:


http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675896


This is based on the new GM alum L92 block and heads which are LS style motors, all alum. just like on a LS2 motor, and power some of the current GM trucks, and the stroker kits are making 416 cubes and pumping out 550rwhp and 507rwtq for around $8,500 for the complete longblock!
Skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Tony @ MPH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: http://www.mphparts.com 800-364-1975
Default

Yeah, I was going to ask... why go LS7 when you can go L92. That L92 car in that post is local and it's a monster. I didn't ask for all the details but it looks like it was virtually all plug and play, with the exception of a few harnesses that looked like they were extended or changed.
Tony @ MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
Bill Reid
CF Senior Member
 
Bill Reid's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: Chandler AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegZ06 View Post
Anyone done an LS7 swap yet? Does it require similar changes as an LS2 does (knock sensor harness)? What other things need to be changed in the swap?

thanks
If buy a crate LS7 it will require work to get it to work in a C5 with the C5 PCM. The crate LS7 comes with a 58x reluctor wheel and a 4x trigger cam sprocket. A 24x reluctor wheel would have to be swapped in which requires disassembly of the short block... unless someone came out with a little black box to make the crank and cam signal compatible with the C5 PCM. Its been awhile since I was involved in a swap. The cam sprocket would need to be swapped over to the old stlye LS2. I forget if the crank and cam sensors would need to be replaced with the older LS2 variety. Road Rebel could elaborate on that. You would need to relocate your battery to the trunk, remove the battery tray, and fab up a bracket assembly to hold an oil tank. Several manu's make them or you could go with a C6Z06 tank... which comes with a dip stick and a spot to mount your oil temp sender. You would need to fab oil lines. Yes, cam sensor extention, knock sensor relocation, throttle body adaptor harnesses, and injector pigtails would be necessary. There are alot of other smaller details but this kinda gives you an idea...

... or you could scratch build an LS7 wet sump motor...
...or you could build an L92 like the guys are saying...

Bill
Bill Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
thegame
CF Senior Member
 
thegame's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: New Milford NJ
Send a message via AIM to thegame
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diynoob View Post
Yeah, I was going to ask... why go LS7 when you can go L92. That L92 car in that post is local and it's a monster. I didn't ask for all the details but it looks like it was virtually all plug and play, with the exception of a few harnesses that looked like they were extended or changed.
Is that L92 forged ?
thegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Mopar Jimmy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06
 
Mopar Jimmy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Is that L92 forged ?

Yes, it SURE IS forged, including the 4.00 stroker crank, where 99% of forged 346/7 motors for sale for f/i from LSx tuners, just used a polished stock LS1/6 crank, b/c the stock cranks can handle a TON of POWER and no need to go to the extra expense for a forged stock displacment crank!!!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 03-20-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Mopar Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
BLOWNZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Knoxville Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to BLOWNZO6
Default

If you want the 427 cubes.. an sleeved LS2 427 is a great option for you as well.

There is a lot better options for your money than using an LS7.

If it makes you feel better you can put the LS7 fuel rail covers on it.

If you wanted to put an engine together from scratch with 427 cubes you can do it for about 10k. There are readily available harnesses for all sensors, etc. etc.

This would be a plug an play option for you.

The first thing I tell people when they say they want to put an LS7 in an LS1 vehicle... go ahead an spend $15,000 on a motor, receive it and immediately tear it down to bare bolts to change the crank reluctor wheel.. That alone would make be just build a stand alone motor.
__________________


EAST COAST SUPERCHARGING SALES AND TECH SUPPORT
WWW.EASTCOASTSUPERCHARGING.COM
BLOWNZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
thegame
CF Senior Member
 
thegame's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: New Milford NJ
Send a message via AIM to thegame
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06 View Post
Yes, it SURE IS forged, including the 4.00 stroker crank, where 99% of forged 346/7 motors for sale for f/i from LSx tuners, just used a polished stock LS1/6 crank, b/c the stock cranks can handle a TON of POWER and no need to go to the extra expense for a forged stock displacment crank!!!
That's a pretty sick deal for $8,500!!
thegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
7LitreC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
7LitreC5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: Black Forest CO
Default

Just as a data point I am doing a wet sump 427 using a LS7 block, ported L92s, and the L76 intake. I have $9800 in the shortblock, heads, intake, adaptor harnesses, gaskets, etc. The $10k that BLOWNZ06 put in his post is right on.
__________________
2002 Coupe
Mods: Wet sump LS7, TPE LS7 heads, ported LS7 intake, Katech valve covers/coil brackets, ARH 1-7/8, C6Z shifter, Z06 cat-back, mini-tub, HRE 545R wheels, 3.73 gears, Wilwood brakes, DeWitts EOC rad/fans, Vette-HID, Corbeau A4.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
99blackFRC
CF Senior Member
 
99blackFRC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Send a message via AIM to 99blackFRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegZ06 View Post
Anyone done an LS7 swap yet? Does it require similar changes as an LS2 does (knock sensor harness)? What other things need to be changed in the swap?

thanks
We've done it. Like others are saying, there are alot of options out there these days - especially knowing that you'd have to tear down the motor to swap out reluctor wheels anyway. All depends on what you're after really..

Here's the one we did for a client on the rollers this past weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33heu7zDTvg
__________________
-Tom
99blackFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
SiegZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SiegZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Jefferson City Missouri
Default

ttt
SiegZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
SteveDotenMotorsports
Former Vendor
Cruise-In VII Veteran
 
SteveDotenMotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Farmington/DeerPark CT/NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reid View Post
If buy a crate LS7 it will require work to get it to work in a C5 with the C5 PCM. The crate LS7 comes with a 58x reluctor wheel and a 4x trigger cam sprocket. A 24x reluctor wheel would have to be swapped in which requires disassembly of the short block... unless someone came out with a little black box to make the crank and cam signal compatible with the C5 PCM. Its been awhile since I was involved in a swap. The cam sprocket would need to be swapped over to the old stlye LS2. I forget if the crank and cam sensors would need to be replaced with the older LS2 variety. Road Rebel could elaborate on that. You would need to relocate your battery to the trunk, remove the battery tray, and fab up a bracket assembly to hold an oil tank. Several manu's make them or you could go with a C6Z06 tank... which comes with a dip stick and a spot to mount your oil temp sender. You would need to fab oil lines. Yes, cam sensor extention, knock sensor relocation, throttle body adaptor harnesses, and injector pigtails would be necessary. There are alot of other smaller details but this kinda gives you an idea...

... or you could scratch build an LS7 wet sump motor...
...or you could build an L92 like the guys are saying...

Bill
is the 4x cam sprocket the same used on the '07 centerbolt LS2 cam sprockets?
SteveDotenMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
SiegZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SiegZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Jefferson City Missouri
Default

Any good builders out there with crate L92 motors? Are they a direct bolt in replacement for the LS6 or does it require other mods?
SiegZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #17
roythomas
CF Senior Member
 
roythomas's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
roythomas
Default

huge couto's to ls2 sleved to 427 two years & very happy
roythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #18
LS7 C5
CF Senior Member
 
LS7 C5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Arroyo Seco/Soledad California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegZ06 View Post
Any good builders out there with crate L92 motors? Are they a direct bolt in replacement for the LS6 or does it require other mods?
Try Texas Speed & Performance, they are a forum sponsor listed on the left side of your screen.
LS7 C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page LS7 swap in a C5 Z06
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2000, 2002, 427, build, c5, corvette, engine, kits, ls2, ls7, skunkworks, sprockets, stroker, swap, z06


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2