C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire advice

In a quest for more traction, I've switched to Z06 wheels. Now I'm trying to decide which tires to go with and I'm getting conflicting information (what's new). The local installer has basically narrowed it down to three choices. Nitto DRs, BFG DRs, and Toyo T1Rs. Of the three, he likes the Toyos. Buddies with worked Mustangs like the Nittos.

Does anyone have experience with these tires and what are your thoughts? I want decent traction. I'm not too worried about all weather tires, since the car rarely sees rain and never snow.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I run stock size Z rears on my car and run BFG DR's.

I get about 4000 miles out of a set of them.

They hook pretty good for street tires. They are not long lasting, but they are relatively cheap for what you get.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:48 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

well...with the DR's you may end up breaking stuff..I have no idea what you have done to the drive train.....I have found that traction is pretty much a thing of the past depending on how you drive
Old 07-06-2006, 11:57 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I run the Nitto NT-01 and they are more a very sticky auto cross tire, but at my rwhp level anything short of slicks are not going to provide me much traction on the street with any handling capabilities. The Nitto's RII are a softer sidewall that what I run. I do most of my driving in the hill country to see my boost and those NT-01's do the trick and they will last about 5000 miles and that is fine with me
Old 07-07-2006, 01:55 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by peter pan
I run the Nitto NT-01 and they are more a very sticky auto cross tire, but at my rwhp level anything short of slicks are not going to provide me much traction on the street with any handling capabilities. The Nitto's RII are a softer sidewall that what I run. I do most of my driving in the hill country to see my boost and those NT-01's do the trick and they will last about 5000 miles and that is fine with me
If you don't drive in the rain, You must try the NT-01s!! I'm on my second set, and Love them! DR will really hurt the handling/feeling of the car around turns...

If you want to hook up on the steet, enjoy driving a sports car that handles like nobodies business,then the NT is for you!

JB
Old 07-08-2006, 12:44 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I mounted a set of Falken Azenis 615s on Z06 wheels. 275front/315rear. Very popular tire with autocrossers. I am very impressed. Phenomenal grip, amazing handling. Incredible for the twisties. I enjoy the Maggie much more now.
good luck,
ace
Old 07-08-2006, 01:48 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
You mention the NT-01's & also the RII's. Do the RII's ride better with the softer sidewall, do they give up much handling to the NT-01's?

Get notified of new replies

To Tire advice

Quick Reply: Tire advice