C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American HP - any updates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Wits-Z
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American HP - any updates?

I was curious as I think you were going to fire up your car again a few days ago. I know you were frustrated with the reaction you got to your updates, but I know at least some of us were genuinely looking forward to finding out how you were coming along and your impressions once the bugs were worked out. Anything new?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

I should know more today. We got all the bugs worked out, and have the car running again. Jim Bell called me the day before yesterday (Owner of KB), and after a 3 hour phone conversation I realized some of the mistakes that were made.
Right now were waiting the dyno to get free'd up so we can finish tuning it. We are also (Under the guidence of Kenne Bell) redesigning the intake track itself. Based on Jims CFM calculations, were choking the air off at the higher RPM's.

BTW, If you ever have the pleasure of talking with Jim, you will see that he is one of the nicest guys you will ever have the pleasure of talking to. Not to mention EXTREMELY intelligent.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 AM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

What clutch are you using now? Didnt you say that you toasted the ECS one?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by F1_SS
What clutch are you using now? Didnt you say that you toasted the ECS one?
No I havent toasted ANY clutch yet. THANK G@D... I am running the Cartek clutch. And at 750rwtq its holding up just fine..
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
No I havent toasted ANY clutch yet. THANK G@D... I am running the Cartek clutch. And at 750rwtq its holding up just fine..
If I were you, I'd ensure I had a replacement clutch within arms reach. . .

Clutches usually hold fine on Dyno's, but under full load on the street, it's a totally different story, especially with the troque your making.

Hope I'm wrong, but your going to have a 'bit$h' of a time keeping your tranny together, let alone a clutch.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Love to see what she'll do once all sorted out. IMO, a roots type blower is my favorite route for F/I.

Good luck!

Last edited by tlaselva; 05-11-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

I agree with you to a point. But being the fact that I am on a Dyna Pak dyno, it actually loads the car pretty heavy from start to finish. After watching the intiial runs, I was concerned that it was puting MORE load on the car than what would normally be sen on the street.
Thats actually why I think the front my car was lifting so hard when we were first testing it.

I am worried that when we start running it again that we are gonna loose the clutch. I've told Rick to turn te load control to about 70%. Will it give me accurate readings? No not really. But it reduces the amount of force that applied to the car. When you turn the load down it will actually read a little lower as well. BUT, I will at least be able to tune the car without toasting a clutch..
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I should know more today. We got all the bugs worked out, and have the car running again. Jim Bell called me the day before yesterday (Owner of KB), and after a 3 hour phone conversation I realized some of the mistakes that were made.
Right now were waiting the dyno to get free'd up so we can finish tuning it. We are also (Under the guidence of Kenne Bell) redesigning the intake track itself. Based on Jims CFM calculations, were choking the air off at the higher RPM's.

BTW, If you ever have the pleasure of talking with Jim, you will see that he is one of the nicest guys you will ever have the pleasure of talking to. Not to mention EXTREMELY intelligent.
With all due respect to Mr. Bell.. I'd hate to see more time spent w/ possibly little gained. And, if even if it does help a nice confirmation is good motivation. Take the Airbridge off altogether for a dyno pass.

Get a before/after in SD since Ricks already got a tune (w/o MAF) and put the alky nozzle where it belongs... the bend right behind the TB.

Arnel

Last edited by AVB; 05-11-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AVB: when you say "I'd hate to see more time spent w/ possibly little gained," are you referring to redesigning the intake tube from the TB to the filter? If the blower is starving for air due to an inefficient intake design, there will be significant gains when redesigned. I've seen a Supra making this kind of power simply pull the air filter completely and gain upwards of 40-50rwhp. Granted, that removes nearly ALL the restriction in the intake (pre blower), but similar gains could be seen if this tube is horribly restrictive.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:20 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Arnel,
The time spent is necesary in order to make sure that the car is operating at 100%. Also, being the fact that both Synergy and Kenne Bell have a lot at stake in this, we all want to see its fullest potential not 95%..

Rick and I both have concerns in regards to a S/D tune. Due to the factthat I live 600 miles away, I dont have the ability to have it tweaked when necessary. As you know, we are just going for a solid tune that requires ZERO tweaking.
I was not aware that Rick has a S/D tune done on the car. I thought is was ALWAYS done with the MAF.
About the Alky nozzle. It is located about 10" forward from where your talking about. Its right at the TB itself. I dont know that it would help it any. What do you think??

I know that this car is taking up alot of time at Ricks shop. BUT..He is having 8 different magazines from around the world doing feature articles on this car and his shop on the 21st of this month. Its not like he isnt being MORE than paid for his efforts..
Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by Jesse_Boyer
AVB: when you say "I'd hate to see more time spent w/ possibly little gained," are you referring to redesigning the intake tube from the TB to the filter? If the blower is starving for air due to an inefficient intake design, there will be significant gains when redesigned. I've seen a Supra making this kind of power simply pull the air filter completely and gain upwards of 40-50rwhp. Granted, that removes nearly ALL the restriction in the intake (pre blower), but similar gains could be seen if this tube is horribly restrictive.
According to Jim Bells calculations, we are leaving 43-45rwhp on the table with this intake.
When I mean his "Calculations" I literaly mean he used a calculator and determined the CFM restrictions and turned them into HP figures.

So to answer your statement, You "Could" be 100% right.
But I am NOT hoping for anything but a solid reliable car that doesnt spit belts.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:49 PM
AVB
Safety Car

According to Jim Bells calculations, we are leaving 43-45rwhp on the table with this intake.
When I mean his "Calculations" I literaly mean he used a calculator and determined the CFM restrictions and turned them into HP figures.

So to answer your statement, You "Could" be 100% right.
But I am NOT hoping for anything but a solid reliable car that doesnt spit belts.

All I'm saying you guys is prior to doing anything take 5 or 10 minutes and run it w/o the intake tube/bridge/maf/air filter... If I came across as questioning an increase, I wasn't. You would just know what to look forward to.

Arnel
Old 05-11-2006, 02:52 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Arnel,
The time spent is necesary in order to make sure that the car is operating at 100%. Also, being the fact that both Synergy and Kenne Bell have a lot at stake in this, we all want to see its fullest potential not 95%..

Rick and I both have concerns in regards to a S/D tune. Due to the factthat I live 600 miles away, I dont have the ability to have it tweaked when necessary. As you know, we are just going for a solid tune that requires ZERO tweaking.
I was not aware that Rick has a S/D tune done on the car. I thought is was ALWAYS done with the MAF.
About the Alky nozzle. It is located about 10" forward from where your talking about. Its right at the TB itself. I dont know that it would help it any. What do you think??

I know that this car is taking up alot of time at Ricks shop. BUT..He is having 8 different magazines from around the world doing feature articles on this car and his shop on the 21st of this month. Its not like he isnt being MORE than paid for his efforts..

SD was only mentioned because it would allow you to run w/o the MAF while testing the no filter/bridge/maf 10 minute test.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by AVB
SD was only mentioned because it would allow you to run w/o the MAF while testing the no filter/bridge/maf 10 minute test.
Also, according to Jim the MAF is causing alot of our problems. I am just not sure if the additional couple HP is worth all the other possible issues. It may be for some people, I am just NOT convinced its for me.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with you to a point. But being the fact that I am on a Dyna Pak dyno, it actually loads the car pretty heavy from start to finish. After watching the intiial runs, I was concerned that it was puting MORE load on the car than what would normally be sen on the street.
Thats actually why I think the front my car was lifting so hard when we were first testing it.

I am worried that when we start running it again that we are gonna loose the clutch. I've told Rick to turn te load control to about 70%. Will it give me accurate readings? No not really. But it reduces the amount of force that applied to the car. When you turn the load down it will actually read a little lower as well. BUT, I will at least be able to tune the car without toasting a clutch..
AH,

I'm not sure that you want to adjust the load functionality. The benefit of a load bearing dyno is that there are minimal street tuning adjustments that are required. When you tune on a dynojet with reduced/no-load, a certain amount of street tuning is required. You will typically have to adjust timing and or fueling requirements if the tune is anywhere near the edge. Contrary to popular belief, there are very "few" safe tunes. Also, with the heat that your car will be subject to in Nevada and the low octane of your "premium" fuel, it is likely that you will need further tweaks. Just a suggestion. PS: clutches are alot cheaper than motors.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you used zero load for WOT dyno tuning. And you used a load to hold the motor at a certain rpm for tunning that parameter?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Arnel,

I would think the velocity of air is faster as it passes the blades and get's sucked into the blower.. at least versus before the TB where it slows down just before passing the blades. This is of course all theory and could be all wrong. I don't think it would hurt though..
Old 05-12-2006, 06:21 PM
FAST LS1
Pro

Originally Posted by AVB
I would think the velocity of air is faster as it passes the blades and get's sucked into the blower.. at least versus before the TB where it slows down just before passing the blades. This is of course all theory and could be all wrong. I don't think it would hurt though..
The total volume of air that it takes to make that kind of hp is still required to get to the inlet of the screws in the supercharger.

Get notified of new replies

To American HP - any updates?

Quick Reply: American HP - any updates?