C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#'s are Slowly coming in on the 402 Kenne Bell project..(Preliminary #'s Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
No kidding.....so far Nick's car setup is the only PTK TT kit is the (DIYer) only production kit to break into the 9s (346cid).

From our conversations, although the curve maybe slightly different (I have a Manual Tranny) then mine the power levels were are about indentical. You can shift my max spool up 200 rpms from what it actually is on the street vs. on this graph too.

At the end of the 1/4 you better be pulling not dropping off after 5500 rpms...unless some how you can gear the car to be fastest at 5500 rpms.

It looks like the KB is going to pull very hard all the way to 7000rpms. Which is very nice.
That right there is a bad dude. If they ever come out with a mass producted TT kit for a good price i will demod my cars setup and go with that.

<--Waiting for final numbers on Kenne bell
Old 04-26-2006, 03:35 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC &amp;amp;amp; SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look at new stuff a bit differently, as the new setups definately make more power down low, in the middle and at the top.

As much as the STS setup if different in design, look at the new Audi ALMS car. Turbo diesel, power band 1,000-3,500, 800-850 pounds ft. across the board. I would contend that this car will go the full 24 hours of Le Mans. Audi is second most wining team in La Mans Series history.

In any case, it is all interesting.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:07 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pianoprodigy
Finally, what I was most disappointed in Cajundude's graph was the fact that the power falls off after 5500 RPM. The KB car will keep pulling to 6500+. .
That concerns me too. Mine did the same ... but, it was caused by LS1 valve float ...which has been corrected. Perhaps his valves or fuel supply are not optimal at the top end. Then maybe they let off early @ 5500 ... so he could be under-rated and surprize his competition.

Cajun ... what do you think happened at the top?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by #001 2001 Z06
Hi all,

I just got a call from Jeff, who is at the Synergy right now and wanted me to post this for you guys. They were working out a few things on the car today. Actually, Arnel & I stopped by give whatever advice and moral support we could this afternoon. There are a few quirks with building this setup like any new build. The car will be done tonight or tomorrow.

Conservative timing so far
AFR at only 10.5
No Meth yet.
91 Pump Gas

690 RWHP/738 ft. pds. so far at about 6,000 rpms.

Oh....and one little ity bity thing, 720 ft. pounds at only 2,300 rpm.

Any new guesses where it will end up?
why is the AFR at only 10.5? Conservative isnt the word I would use.

and why only take it to 6000rpm? are they breaking in the motor?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
pianoprodigy
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by bernrex
That concerns me too. Mine did the same ... but, it was caused by LS1 valve float ...which has been corrected. Perhaps his valves or fuel supply are not optimal at the top end. Then maybe they let off early @ 5500 ... so he could be under-rated and surprize his competition.

If you'll look at most turbo LS1 dyno graphs you'll see the same thing actually. It comes from inadequate flow at the top-end. Turbo sizing is all a matter of balancing spool with flow. Make the turbo too small and you'll spool nice and fast only to drop off in the top. Make the turbo too big and you have too much of a centrifugal feel to the spool although it will pull all the way to redline.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by bernrex

Hmmmm...how did I get brought into this? If someone would send me a $2000 fuel system for free I'll let ya'll know.

As far as which setup is better, I'm not gonna speculate, but I will race anytime just to find out. If there is anything good about the STS kit, it is the little, and I mean little, lag that I do have. I can take off from the line and go. I'm not immediately frying the tires until I reach full boost when it is EASY EASY to fry the tires at 100+ mph. How do I know? I did it about 2 hours ago.

One think I love about this kit is when I stomp it it pulls me back in the seat. When I hit 90 mph, about 3-3.5 secs. later from a roll the car kicks into I don't know how to describe it, except maybe warp speed. The whole car feels like it lifts a little and then pins you to the seat like the fat girl from Friday night. It is pretty wild to say the least. Very smooth, but BAM, it's on like Donkey Kong. I've never driven a positive displacement blower car so I can only assume those characteristics of driving and I try not to say anything unless I race one win or lose, which I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, the 5500 drop could be one of two things. My boost controller blows *****, so I am getting a new one as it has already caused problems twice or the turbos are maxed out, which I think they are certainly getting close. Dave South (STS) was quite suprised when I told him my numbers with the T3/T4 base turbos. I may be upgrading to the T60s through. Before I do that I'm gonna make sure these are maxed out. I'm not sure where all my fuel is coming from but I am good so far with what I have which is the stock system, KB BAP, and Ractronix. With the new controller I'm gonna put in 14 lb. springs and see what will happen.

Still trying to decide which controller to get.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think there is plenty of support to show, that most of the setups (either Centrifugal or Turbo charged) that have hit the 9's, have one thing in common...they hit hardest at the back end.
I agree that the current 9 second field is composed mainly of cars with that pull harder on the big end. The question is why.. Traction is one possible answer. Another would be that up until recently the power adders available that hit very hard early in the power band (TTi Stage 1/2/3 for example) couldn't sustain the power until redline.

Mark
Old 04-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Mid to back end is where it's at. I launched at a measly 3800 my first run at the track. My mph was 110 at the 1/8th. The run that kicked me off the track was another baby launch with over a 2 sec. 60', I tried to keep my mph low as well as ET so I wouldn't get kicked off. Even off full throttle I pulled 136 mph trap.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:00 PM
R&D
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pianoprodigy
No joke, I made this comparison and added an "estimated KB" graph at least a month ago. I did NOT edit it at all (other than to change the label). Was I close or what on the torque down low? Let's see if the topend is there...

Do you really think that KB is going to pull 835 whp???

You should add Andy's two old fashion centrifugal SC to your list. I think at the boost level they will show that some of the newer offerings aren't quite the better mouse trap that many believe.

Jeff,
Looking forward to your numbers! Your car looks VERY VERY nice! I'm going to guess 715 rwhp.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 PM
FAST LS1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me just say first so that it is not interpretted incorrectly that I am always impressed by setups that make a lot of tq down low and pull all the way to the top...it shows a crap load of power throughout the whole rpm range.

But based off of a lot or results from this board alone. I think there is plenty of support to show, that most of the setups (either Centrigual or Turbo charged) that have hit the 9's, have one thing in common...they hit hardest at the back end. Alot of the guys that have used NOS with manuals have window switched the NOS in 3rd and 4ths...the advantage to both is that the car is already in motion.

I think if the rearend drivetrain was setup like an Fbody or any other Solid Rear Axle, there would be a significant gain with larger tq numbers at lower rpms.

Maybe I missed something but both 9 sec 1/4 346cid cars. OpticZ's car (Manual, Procharged) and Nicks car (Auto Turbo)...both over 700 whp...didn't have huge tq numbers below 3000 rpms. It all comes in from the mid range and carries to the high (redline) rpms.

Our drivetrains do best when not stressed down low....they seem to hold up pretty well when the power is coming on from the mid to high rpms after the car is moving.
I hate to say this but I'm going to call it like I see it. The average corvetteforum member is no pro drag racer. Given that first variable, a Kenne Bell car like American HP's will be faster in the hands of the average vette owner vs a turbo or centrifugal s/c car. The extreme low end trq and liner power will allow less than great drivers to drive the car more easily down the dragstrip.

If you want to compare all out applications, it all still comes back to planting the power, and who has more area under the curve. All the cars have to launch, so the low rpm trq of the KB is a huge factor in that launch. After that the turbo and centri S/C'ed cars "may" have an area under the curve advantage. From the graphs posted it doesn't look like any of the kits have a definite run away advantage. Dyno graphs are worthless if you want to talk about ET's. The Supra guys have proven 1000+rwhp packages, but I don't see a lot of those same dyno queen Supra's running 8's like the dyno graphs may lead you to believe.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 PM
sturgeon90293
Instructor

my guess with 12 psi is 715 rwhp
Old 04-26-2006, 09:56 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Formula
The extreme low end trq and liner power will allow less than great drivers to drive the car more easily down the dragstrip.
Have you had both a C5 with a centrifugal supercharger and a twin turbo system? I have. And because I have I feel I can say you are dead wrong.

The centrifugals are MUCH easier to get down the track.. Traction is easier as the power is delivered more slowly. They have extremely predictable power bands.

The turbo car, on the other hand, is ten times as much few as the turbos spool quicker and harder, however it's much more challenging to get down the track without lighting up the tires in every gear.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 04-26-2006, 10:35 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

[QUOTE=R&D]Do you really think that KB is going to pull 835 whp???

You should add Andy's two old fashion centrifugal SC to your list. I think at the boost level they will show that some of the newer offerings aren't quite the better mouse trap that many believe.

Those two cars rock and they forgot to add my little ole 346 A&A DS1C Setup that has all of Andy formula as only the LS2 setups or the 427 have more than my very old and given to the scrap heap system or Mikes99Corvette 383 A&A DS1C that is just short of 700rwhp/600tq, oh his will be atleast what mine puts down once he gets the fuel problem fixed with his ECS fuel setup. Put a F1R on his or mine and we will have some numbers that are very nice, and will not have the tq under the curve though that Jeff's KB will but mine pulled like a train all the way to shutting on the run
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

I wonder what "issues" they ran into that kept them from posting final number yet...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Formula
I hate to say this but I'm going to call it like I see it. The average corvetteforum member is no pro drag racer. Given that first variable, a Kenne Bell car like American HP's will be faster in the hands of the average vette owner vs a turbo or centrifugal s/c car. The extreme low end trq and liner power will allow less than great drivers to drive the car more easily down the dragstrip.

If you want to compare all out applications, it all still comes back to planting the power, and who has more area under the curve. All the cars have to launch, so the low rpm trq of the KB is a huge factor in that launch. After that the turbo and centri S/C'ed cars "may" have an area under the curve advantage. From the graphs posted it doesn't look like any of the kits have a definite run away advantage. Dyno graphs are worthless if you want to talk about ET's. The Supra guys have proven 1000+rwhp packages, but I don't see a lot of those same dyno queen Supra's running 8's like the dyno graphs may lead you to believe.
You dont have to be a very good driver to launch a car. My first launch ever on slicks was a 1.52. I was scared ****less. On street tires (like the avg corvetteforum member), a Kenne Bell car will be slower in the hands of an amateur because of lack of traction. Power under the curve is sweet if you are driving a Honda or road racing a lot or you dont know how to shift, but its overrated in the V8 world. I want max power between 5000-7000rpm.

And Supras that want to run 8s can easily do so.

edit: I hope Im not sounding like an ***. Im just a big proponent of top end power.

Last edited by kumar75150; 04-26-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:44 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chriswtx
I wonder what "issues" they ran into that kept them from posting final number yet...
It doesnt take but a couple hours to do WOT tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To #'s are Slowly coming in on the 402 Kenne Bell project..(Preliminary #'s Inside)

Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

All one off combos have initial issues that need to be ironed out.

Mark
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC &amp;amp;amp; SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdhmi
All one off combos have initial issues that need to be ironed out.

Mark
Guys,

I know they got the final numbers done late last night.
I know Jeff or Rick will be posting the numbers when they get a chance.
I do not have the slightest idea of what they are, as I have be in meetings all day..

Yes, if they threw another 500 rpm, to 6,500, it would make a lot more h.p.. If they turned on the Meth it would make more h.p.. Timing was minimal last I heard and the AFR was 10.5 to 1.
The graph was moving straight up, last time I saw it.

Remember the car was almost a complete frame off, as well as a full motor and drivetrain build and yes there are about half dozen tricks to setting up the KB properly.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Pakisho
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to Rick today.

He said they are pretty much done with it. The final number is what Brent posted earlier. 690rwhp and over 700rwtq. Apparently, the car is pretty much never under 650rwtq throughout the entire pull, from start to finish. Thats some Godzilla torque.

"Finishing tweaks" were things like recharging the AC system, etc.

He isnt spinning it to 6500, so dont expect a graph, from what I understood. Rick said he'd take a 346 that high, but he said a setup like this was already potent enough at 6k, plus I would imagine he is dialing in a certain degree of safety, given that the car is a pump gas setup out in hot hot las vegas. So Im guessing that while theres a ton more in it, he's not going to pull any tricks simply for the dyno to make the number.

Hope Im not jumping the gun, since its not my project or my car. Apparently it idles and drives extremely docile and its an absolutely evil sonofabich when you get on it. And yes, they really did pull the car to pieces and redo the whole damn thing. The last time I was at synergy, this car was a yellow coupe with no motor, no tranny, no body work, nothing.

Bad ***. I love my current setup. But if I didnt own a blown z06 to start with, I know without a doubt where my money would go. Props to Rick for getting it done.

Congrats Jeff! Post impressions!!!!!

Last edited by Pakisho; 04-26-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: #'s are Slowly coming in on the 402 Kenne Bell project..(Preliminary #'s Inside)