C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the hyrdaulics really the weak link, not the clutches on BIG HP manual LSx's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
427 C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the hyrdaulics really the weak link, not the clutches on BIG HP manual LSx's?

I was talking to a tuner from a CTS-V board today.

He believes that the design of the stock hydraulics that activate the clutches in LSx cars are actually the cause of failures, not the clutches themselves.

I have never heard this before.
Anyone else?

If I remember correctly,
both the twin McLeod and Exedy initially received positive reviews,
but then the same owners reported failures.

Both of the owners of the Lingenfelter Stage II turbo cars I have driven admitted that their original clutches had failed. (McLeod twin?)
In addition, the new clutches seemed to engage REALLY high when the pedal was farthest from the floor.

No criticism of Lingenfelter, because they don't build clutches and I have heard the same story about other tuner's cars.

Both of these guys were in their late 50's+ and seemed to be cruisers, not aggresive drivers.
They both claimed no track time, no slicks, or no speed shifting.

Any documentation?
Any theory?

Obviously an auto will hook better and allow boost to be built off the line for drag racing.

But,
I wonder if the hydralic design of LSx clutches is truly a weak link in the drivetrain and could be an additional reason all the FAST LSx cars are running autos.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Sack Rat TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem here with my McLeod dual disc. No slicks, no drag racing and general street use. No noise and slightly more pedal pressure than stock ZO-6. No engagement problems either. Clutch went in with the 427 TT. I did do a 500 mile gentle street driven seasoning of both the clutch and motor before really hammering it. I think that is the most important thing according to McLeod. Never heard of the clutch actuator being a culprit. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I don't know if this is what you mean but after 2000 miles on my RPS single disc cluth and alum. synergy fly wheel, the hydraulics on my stock 02 master cylinder went out and left me without a pedal and calling a flatbed. A new master cylinder was put on and the car was fixed under warranty and the Z had about 20K miles on when this happened.

I just hope that i am go to go for a long time. I do know that the McCloud twin disc clutch comes with an aftermarket master cylinder to handle the extra pressure caused by a heavy duty clutch. Not sure if this is on point or not but figured its close enough to share!!

Get notified of new replies

To Are the hyrdaulics really the weak link, not the clutches on BIG HP manual LSx's?

Quick Reply: Are the hyrdaulics really the weak link, not the clutches on BIG HP manual LSx's?