C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson or centrifugal???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 PM
silvervette02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnuson or centrifugal???

So I'm looking to buy a supercharger in the next few months and I want to make sure I get the best for my money. I really like the Magnuson and it looks to be a lot easier to install. Is it? Anyone with blowers or good knowledge of the differances between the two let me know what you think. I'm already planning to get the MCM Charger hood so clearence won't be a problem. Thanks for any input. Also if anyone has any install pics of the Magnuson please post. Thaks,

Chad
Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on if you want to go fast (Magnusen) or faster (Centrifugal, flavor of the month).

Most or just some or could be just a few, don't quote me on this, find the Maggie comes on too quick and fades up high so you get no traction to leave the line and get out-run as you wind out the revs. The Centrifugals are a little more "NA" off the line until you reach 3500 rpms and then pulls like a freight train to redline.

Then there's the cool factor. The maggie is cooler sitting still and the centrifugals are cooler racing. Me, personally I like torque down low but hate the bulging hood enough to buy the ATI from A&A. To each their own.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:20 PM
silvervette02
Instructor

I want the instant power that the Maggie makes but like you say, hookin' up ain't going to be easy. I guess I'll just have to get fatter rubber on the back if I go that way. For everyday driving I want to be able to feel the extra power without having to get in the gas too much but I guess if I'm not racing I don't need the boost down low. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is also the sound issue, with the maggie it is quite untill you put your foot into it and then all hell breaks lose. the cent's either make too much noise at idle or they are too quite for me. I went with a used maggie knowing that I can remove it later if I want more power and go TT but with the recent developments I'm thinking that I may be able to get close to 600rwhp out of mine. for me this is more about something to tinker with than a drag car.

More Than Zero
Old 01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Honez
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can d/l the instll doc from Magnuson and it has full pics. I looked hard and long at these also and ended up with A&A's kit. I felt that it was just as bling bling as the Maggie and yet delivered more HP for the $$. I think the best thing going is the A&A kit right now and no one will beat the tech support you will get from them.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I like the low end torque of the Maggie. During typical street driving, I don't wind out the car enough to take advantage of a centrifical. The install was pretty easy too.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:08 AM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

on stock motor go w/ a Mag.
on a built motor go w/ a centrifugal or if you can wait another year, the KB twin screw.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Jserman
Pro

I would go Centra and change your rear gears....

this way you are covered everywhere..

remember with a maggie you have to get a new hood also.. but you don't with a Centra
Old 01-07-2006, 09:58 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Honez
You can d/l the instll doc from Magnuson and it has full pics. I looked hard and long at these also and ended up with A&A's kit. I felt that it was just as bling bling as the Maggie and yet delivered more HP for the $$. I think the best thing going is the A&A kit right now and no one will beat the tech support you will get from them.

Go with the A&A kit my car with the DS1C makes plenty of low end power, in fact my first and second gears are worthless on street tires and I love the sound of my blower when I drive around, but then I want others to know I am blowin.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:30 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muncie21
I like the low end torque of the Maggie. During typical street driving, I don't wind out the car enough to take advantage of a centrifical. The install was pretty easy too.
That is why I bought a (used) maggie and will be installing it soon myself.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
SR71
Burning Brakes

if they ever get the KB done, it will be the best of both worlds.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 AM
silvervette02
Instructor

Originally Posted by boblackhardtop
on stock motor go w/ a Mag.
on a built motor go w/ a centrifugal or if you can wait another year, the KB twin screw.

What is a KB twin screw???
Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 AM
silvervette02
Instructor

Originally Posted by RED99
That is why I bought a (used) maggie and will be installing it soon myself.

When you get it installed I'll be curious to know how long it took and how difficult. I need to have as little down time as possible as the motor in my truck, well it's not exactly in my truck, thats the problem. I'm rebuilding the motor right now.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:18 AM
silvervette02
Instructor

Personally I want something I can mix with a good cam and get an awesome whistling lope at idle. Not extremely loud but defiantly noticeable when someone pulls up next to me. As long as it’s not too loud inside (at low RPM) [convertible].
Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Mr.X
Instructor

Originally Posted by silvervette02
What is a KB twin screw???
A KB is like a unicorn, some say it exists, but no one has ever seen one in person.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:28 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.X
A KB is like a unicorn, some say it exists, but no one has ever seen one in person.
Ain't that the truth....at least for us C5 guys.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:35 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Well maybe I'm a little biased,
but our Paxton S/C kit with the restrictor plate, that comes with the kit, makes full boost very quickly and generally flat lines the power throughout the curve. (like a Magnuson) The difference from there is that for less money than a Mag, the Paxton upgradability is second to none.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnuson or centrifugal???

Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,

for those running stock longblocks (LS1 in particular), when do you see full boost with the plate? Do you have a graph showing boost/RPM on an 8psi setup?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse_Boyer
Doug,

for those running stock longblocks (LS1 in particular), when do you see full boost with the plate? Do you have a graph showing boost/RPM on an 8psi setup?

I dont have anything graphed at the moment, Warp Factor posted a while back that he sees 2lbs at 2200rpm and 4lbs at 3000rpm. I will pay closer attention on the next car I tune, but I have noticed on the dyno that the power generally flatlines in the 4,800rpm range untill red line.(6400) I would think it would max boost way before that.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:20 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
Then there's the cool factor. The maggie is cooler sitting still and the centrifugals are cooler racing. Me, personally I like torque down low but hate the bulging hood enough to buy the ATI from A&A. To each their own.
I agree,when engine heats that big chunk of aluminium it will hold it until up shut engine down.

Quick Reply: Magnuson or centrifugal???