C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best clutch????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:19 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
They are putting the excedy twin disc on - I'll let all know how it performs!
I have had the exedy twin for over a year in my car. Has about twenty hard launches at the track and 2,500 street miles on it. So far so good, but I don't make the power you FI guys make.
Great shifting clutch, has some chatter when cold, but what aftermarket clutch doesn't.

Last edited by supercoupe01; 10-25-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:49 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exedy twin here. No problems yet. Holds at the track well, 5000 RPM dumps. Pedal pressure is slightly stiffer but feels better than stock to me. Just don't slip(ride) the clutch. This is what wears it out quicker than anything and this clutch does not like to be slipped. It takes a bit to get used to driving it in traffic. Also it will loosen up some after the break-in.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by supercoupe01
I have had the exedy twin for over a year in my car. Has about twenty hard launches at the track and 2,500 street miles on it. So far so good, but I don't make the power you FI guys make.
Great shifting clutch, has some chatter when cold, but what aftermarket clutches don't.

Well, I also have the Excedy twin on for a year now....about 7000 street/highway miles, probably about 60-70 1/4 mile hard launches at the strip, and one day (4-20 minute sessions) at Pocono on the long course. So far, the clutch has performed extremely well. Like Bill, I'm not making insane horsepower like the FI guys....but I'm not stock, either.

I also agree with Bill...it is a really great shifting clutch.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 AM
supercoupe01
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geneus
Well, I also have the Excedy twin on for a year now....about 7000 street/highway miles, probably about 60-70 1/4 mile hard launches at the strip, and one day (4-20 minute sessions) at Pocono on the long course. So far, the clutch has performed extremely well. Like Bill, I'm not making insane horsepower like the FI guys....but I'm not stock, either.

I also agree with Bill...it is a really great shifting clutch.
Blondie did a great job breaking my clutch in. It seems like most of the exedy clutches they installed are performing well.

Last edited by supercoupe01; 10-25-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by supercoupe01
Blondie did a great job breaking my clutch in. It seems like most of the exedy clutches they installed are performing well.

Bill,

I'm beginning to believe that the combination of who did the installation as well as a good (read as no flogging) 500 mile highway/street break-in period for this clutch was critical to longevity.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:35 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneus
500 mile highway/street break-in period for this clutch was critical to longevity.
I think that is an old wives tale. When I asked my tuner what kind of break in it needed he said it should be okay by the time I reach the end of his street. lol. I haven't had any problems with it.

Mark
Old 10-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I think that is an old wives tale.
Now how did you know I had an old wife?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Anybody installed and beat on the LS7 clutch assembly yet, the one that Fred Beans sells for a little over $500? Feedback?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Anybody installed and beat on the LS7 clutch assembly yet, the one that Fred Beans sells for a little over $500? Feedback?
I don't think anyone has done so yet. I'm wary of going with it as I'm putting down 600-700 rwhp with at least 600 rwtq, so the stock LS7 likely won't do for me.

My stock clutch in the ZR-1 is great for 565 rwhp interestingly enough. Slipped it many times at the track, hammered it on the street. Never chatters, great pedal feel. Maybe I need a ZF in my C5!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 PM
z06boz
Pro

RPS here and not one problem, andy said it can take a good beating, also he said the aussie clutch and rps are basically the same exept one chatters one doesnt, aussie been the chatter clutch.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:23 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My twin turbo car burnt up the ram clutch first time out at the track with 488 rwhp/556rwtq. I replaced it with mcleod this lasted the whole summer.It did not like back to back runs.Problem with the mcleod is that the two disc mass are to heavy this in turn will wear out your syncros in tranny faster.My exedy twin held up with my new combination making 577 rwhp/749 rwtq. dumping @ 5000 rpm. Break in is critical. My new combination will make over 800 rwhp/900 rwtq. I am changing to new exedy triple carbon fiber clutch. This clutch works the opposite of metallic it has to be slipped to creat heat to grab.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Master
My twin turbo car burnt up the ram clutch first time out at the track with 488 rwhp/556rwtq. I replaced it with mcleod this lasted the whole summer.It did not like back to back runs.Problem with the mcleod is that the two disc mass are to heavy this in turn will wear out your syncros in tranny faster.My exedy twin held up with my new combination making 577 rwhp/749 rwtq. dumping @ 5000 rpm. Break in is critical. My new combination will make over 800 rwhp/900 rwtq. I am changing to new exedy triple carbon fiber clutch. This clutch works the opposite of metallic it has to be slipped to creat heat to grab.
I hear people continously refer to proper break-in. I can personally say that I put the required 500+miles on the car to break it in. And I can appreciate all the people that have had good luck with the Exedy. I know what I went thru with my first unit and then what happened to the warranty replacement. At worst they make a ****ty product that is overated...At best they have poor quality control. At $500+/clutch job(labor), who wants to be the guineau pig and roll the dice. Re: going to the triple @ $3000+. I wouldn't put that in my car if they gave it to me and paid for my install. The only clutch outfit that I've seen that gives a rat's *** about customer service is the guys that manu. the Aussie unit.

Re: McCleod...it will hold the power, just isn't as smooth as some of the others. One good point for McCleod is the rebuild is only ~ $300 and turnaround time is usually no more than 2 days + shipping.

Quick Reply: Best clutch????????