C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FMIC on TTix

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC on TTix

I read the post by Jersey Jay where his IAT were too high with the TTIX FMIC. So the pros at ECS switched him out to their FMIC from the ATI SC kit.

Here are some questions:

How much difference did or does the Alky kit make on the TTIx kit, and how about the FMIC from the ATI kit?? How much extra $$$$$$$$ did that cost??????

On my Subaru STI it has a Top Mount IC (TMIC) and has these little tiny fogger nozzles that shoot water at the TMIC.

Do you think it would make any difference to hook up a tiny water nozzle spray kit for the FMIC??? or would the Alky kit drop the temps so much it doesnt really matter anyways??? Or would both be a great idea???

I was thinking I could just order the whole kit from subaru with the storage tank, pump, fogger nozzles and tubing. I think it holds about 3 quarts.

It doesnt allow for constant spray, I believe its a 3-5second spray and then it turns itself off. The water spray is pretty fine. So I dont think you would run into any issues with water getting on the ground causing traction issues or anything. Or I guess you could even make a small drip plate below the FMIC if you were concerned about that.

I just thought this might be a good idea after a run down the track squirt the FMIC for 5-15 seconds to help cool it off, or hit it for a few seconds before a run to have cooler air going thru the FMIC.

Blast away !!!!!

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 AM
VETZILLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryan,

I have no problem with intake temps until temps get above 85deg outside. As for pressure drop across the TTi FMIC I can tell you that I have no problem holding 13#'s of boost solid all the way to 6600rpm, I actually get a bit of creep up on some runs but the controller does a good job of keeping it pretty flat.

In order to address the High IAT's on hot days here is a alternative to Alky. I got a simple NOS dry system and spray a .15 jet inside the intercooler on each side right past where the compressor tubes connect to it. The 2 .15 jets together are about a 30 shot so they have no effect on AFR but are able to drop IAT's 30 - 40 degrees with bottle pressure at 950 - 1,000#'s. I just did some data logging this morning temp 76 deg, hum 70% baro 29.88, at the end of a full pull to 140 on the e-way with the spray IAT were 97. This was after driving around for quite some time so I know the engine was heat soaked. A 15# bottle will last a LONG time.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 06-05-2005, 11:17 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a TTi stage 1 in AZ..... My IAT's on a 100 degree day are in the 140-170 range... With the ECS meth kit my IAT start at 140 and are 70 by 3rd gear... I picked up 140 RWHP with the ECS kit, since I can up the boost (from 7-12.5) and keep all the timing.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Bryan,

When I get back from Orlando next weekend lets get together and I will log some EFILive data on yor car. That way we can see exactly what your IATs look like and how fast that they increase/recover when going from on boost to off boost
Old 06-05-2005, 09:43 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Yano, if you get a chance, post a pic of the Subaru water nozzles...I'm curious how they set it up. TIA
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Dont forget the stock is a TMIC. I will see if I can find someone who has done it to the FMIC.

Its a very simple tube with two tiny water fogger nozzles.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VETZILLA
Bryan,

I have no problem with intake temps until temps get above 85deg outside. As for pressure drop across the TTi FMIC I can tell you that I have no problem holding 13#'s of boost solid all the way to 6600rpm, I actually get a bit of creep up on some runs but the controller does a good job of keeping it pretty flat.

In order to address the High IAT's on hot days here is a alternative to Alky. I got a simple NOS dry system and spray a .15 jet inside the intercooler on each side right past where the compressor tubes connect to it. The 2 .15 jets together are about a 30 shot so they have no effect on AFR but are able to drop IAT's 30 - 40 degrees with bottle pressure at 950 - 1,000#'s. I just did some data logging this morning temp 76 deg, hum 70% baro 29.88, at the end of a full pull to 140 on the e-way with the spray IAT were 97. This was after driving around for quite some time so I know the engine was heat soaked. A 15# bottle will last a LONG time.

Good Luck

Mike
After doing some reading on the Evo & STI sites, since these guys have tons of experience with TMIC, and FMIC.

Most of them dont spray the FMIC because since they are FMIC they dont suffer from any heat soak.

The TMIC guys almost all spray water to prevent heat soak. How much difference in performance. about .1tenth in the quarter mile and about 1mph.

I think Mike you have by far the best idea.

I was talking to RMCR about this a few weeks back and he suggested the same thing, although he suggested a 50shot, I think your idea of two 15shots would be just the ticket for cooling the IAT down after some hard runs or on a hot day.

That bottle would last about what 20-30 runs too.

Can you email me shots of your setup if you dont mind.

Thanks

EMAIL
Old 06-05-2005, 11:57 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

what about spraying fmic with co2?

cheap
Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
what about spraying fmic with co2?

cheap

a few guys had done that, but it seems that instead of trying to cool down an 18"x36" or whatever size IC you have, it would be much cheaper and more efficient to cool the actual air.
You dont cool the outside of a car with AC you cool the air inside it. Well at least that seems to be the consensus
Old 06-06-2005, 01:48 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Just a few thoughts here (don’t shoot me);

Spraying NOS at IC inlets is not optimal location because intercooler efficiency is actually being reduced. Basically you want the intercooler to see largest possible temperature differential (delta T). Heat exchangers (intercoolers) have an approach, that being, at given mass flows and temperature differential you can only get X amount of cooling. To get more cooling you need a larger area/larger intercooler or larger temperature differential. By spraying at inlet the intercooler actually acts like smaller unit.

I don’t want to get into all kinds of math, but picture it this way;
*You can transfer X amount of BTUs per square foot per degree F temp. differential. To get more BTUs transferred you can increase surface area or increase temperature differential.
*Since your area or size is fixed let compressor air come in unchanged to maximize delta T.

After intercooler discharge is optimal to cool with NOS dry shot because intercooler has done all work it can. I know dry shoot at inlet side will cool thermal mass to some point and reduce heat soak, but gains here are negligible.

As far as spraying outside of intercooler with water mist or something else, that’s fine because you are making outside cooler thus providing more temperature differential (delta T). You have two temperatures to be concerned with, which is external or heat sink surface and charge air to be cooled and that is the delta T that I keep referring to.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Last edited by Skunkworks; 06-06-2005 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:43 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

In that picture, where are the nozzles? TIA
Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 AM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
...After intercooler discharge is optimal to cool with NOS dry shot because intercooler has done all work it can. I know dry shoot at inlet side will cool thermal mass to some point and reduce heat soak, but gains here are negligible.

As far as spraying outside of intercooler with water mist or something else, that’s fine because you are making outside cooler thus providing more temperature differential (delta T). You have two temperatures to be concerned with, which is external or heat sink surface and charge air to be cooled and that is the delta T that I keep referring to.

Hope this helps,
Mike
I have to strongly agree with Mike on this one. Regardless of what you're spraying to cool the charge (water, alky, NOS...), it will be far more effective AFTER the IC.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
I have a TTi stage 1 in AZ..... My IAT's on a 100 degree day are in the 140-170 range... With the ECS meth kit my IAT start at 140 and are 70 by 3rd gear... I picked up 140 RWHP with the ECS kit, since I can up the boost (from 7-12.5) and keep all the timing.

WOW,
Now thats a big drop, I have not had temps that high here yet so I have not been able to test it with IAT's starting that high. On Jersey Jay's car we have found an average of five degrees over ambiant at 15 lbs of boost.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What? No talk about water IC's ?

Mark
Old 06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

I was going to go there, but decided not to.

Mike
Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

They are tuning my car.

My IAT's are at 140. They turned down my boost to 11psi, they were getting detonation in 5th & 6th gear at 14psi. I believe they have it at 11psi with 18degrees of timing now with no detonation.

It was 82 out today humidity at 13%.

I also agree, cooling the air after it has gone thru the FMIC would be the best choice. that way you get the cooling effect of the FMIC and then the cooling effect of either the Alky, NO2, or H20
Old 06-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Yano
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VortechC5
Bryan,

When I get back from Orlando next weekend lets get together and I will log some EFILive data on yor car. That way we can see exactly what your IATs look like and how fast that they increase/recover when going from on boost to off boost

Sounds good to me

Get notified of new replies

To FMIC on TTix

Old 06-06-2005, 09:24 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by Yano
They are tuning my car.

My IAT's are at 140. They turned down my boost to 11psi, they were getting detonation in 5th & 6th gear at 14psi. I believe they have it at 11psi with 18degrees of timing now with no detonation.

It was 82 out today humidity at 13%.

I also agree, cooling the air after it has gone thru the FMIC would be the best choice. that way you get the cooling effect of the FMIC and then the cooling effect of either the Alky, NO2, or H20
Damn 140 IAT's

My IAT's @ 61 degrees ambient were @ 66 @ 15 psi with the timing @ 21 degrees.

I think you know what you have to do.

Last edited by 1%r; 06-06-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JJ, were those IATs including the alky spray or without alky? Also, was that your IAT at the end of a single gear pull or at the end of going 1st through 4th?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by diynoob
JJ, were those IATs including the alky spray or without alky? Also, was that your IAT at the end of a single gear pull or at the end of going 1st through 4th?
Tony this was with the Alky spray and it was when we were logging on the road with a 1st through 4th hard run @ WOT.

Call me on my cell when you get a chance as I was talking direct with Paul Blackmore @ EFILive today.

Quick Reply: FMIC on TTix