C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger. What's the best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
MDriveMode
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Supercharger. What's the best bang for the buck?

Hey, I've had my 01 coupe for almost 3 months now. Not that it isn't fast, but I really want to kick it up a notch!!! I also don't want anything that sounds like batteries tumbling in a dryer, just a very noticable WHIIIIIIINE. What internal mods do I need for around 7 to 10 lbs of boost and with that, what packages should I start looking at?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont need any internal engine mods for those boost levels. An ECS or A&A ProCharger setup is going to be your best bang for the buck mod outside of N20.

Mark
Old 06-01-2005, 09:30 PM
MDriveMode
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mdhmi
You wont need any internal engine mods for those boost levels. An ECS or A&A ProCharger setup is going to be your best bang for the buck mod outside of N20.

Mark
Is the ECS much different from the one A&A offers? Recently, I've heard that the A&A sounds " like tablespoons in a garbage disposal". I'm not going for that type of sound. What's the going rate (DIY and Installed)?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

ATI D1 5.0 ratio with ECS brackets and ECS FMIC. You can have TONS of room to grow later on and have a heck of a lot of fun now. Will sound awesome and oh yea great power.
Jon
Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 PM
BlownV6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCMC5
Hey, I've had my 01 coupe for almost 3 months now. Not that it isn't fast, but I really want to kick it up a notch!!! I also don't want anything that sounds like batteries tumbling in a dryer, just a very noticable WHIIIIIIINE. What internal mods do I need for around 7 to 10 lbs of boost and with that, what packages should I start looking at?

Wait for the Kenne Bell
Old 06-01-2005, 11:07 PM
MDriveMode
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlownV6
Wait for the Kenne Bell
ETA:? I don't know much about them, all I know is that they were preferred on 5.0's.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on the KB kit.

I have the ECS kit and it does _not_ have the crappy sound the was recently described in a different thread. Mine has a nice whistle.

And yes, there is a far amount of difference between the ECS and A&A kits.

Mark
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on the KB kit.

I have the ECS kit and it does _not_ have the crappy sound the was recently described in a different thread. Mine has a nice whistle.

And yes, there is a far amount of difference between the ECS and A&A kits.

Mark
with Mark!!

I am sure the Kenne Bell will be awesome. But.........
1. Who knows when it will come out
2. Being new there will be some issues that need to be ironed out like all new systems.
3. The cost of the unit
4. Changing the hood to make room
Jon
Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Both A&A (me) and ECS use Procharger head units. The noise that one customer described has nothing to do with it being either an A&A or ECS kit. His Procharger head unit is just noisier than some others.
Unfortunately, I'm not there to hear it in person so I can't tell him if it's defective or just one of the noisier ones. I can certainly exchange it if he wants to go that route.
Bang for the buck? In my unbiased opinion, my setup wins. It's on sale for $5000 and performs with the best of them. Upgrades to the D1 head unit and bigger BOV can be had for not much more.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Andy - I agree completely. The sound has nothing to do with your kit. ProCharger is extremely inconsistent with their head units.. Each one sounds different. Mine happens to be one of the quieter ones.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
b98
Le Mans Master

A&A all the way.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:55 AM
c5_from_jc
Racer

Originally Posted by CCMC5

Don't be in a hurry to pick a system. The best thing you can do is find people who will give you a ride to experience Vortech or ATI, or Magnuson. They have a different feel. The Kenne Bell kit is coming out and I'll tell you what I think very shortly.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:17 AM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whatever you do, don't buy a Magnuson. They are very difficult to install and tune, they barely make any power, and run really bad at the track. Not to mention how ugly they look under the hood, especially the polished ones. For proof of this, go to www.yellohh.com There are a couple of videos and some new pics in gallery 4. Man, I just don't know what these people are thinking...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
RWH
Burning Brakes

I've even heard if you slap one of these puppies on you even have to get a different hood. What's up with that?

Last edited by RWH; 06-02-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
MDriveMode
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am sorry Andy. I thought that the person in the other thread said that they had an A&A product. I have actually heard A LOT of good things about A&A. I didn't mean to name names, I just wanted to stay away from the noise they were describing.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by YELLOHHH
Whatever you do, don't buy a Magnuson. They are very difficult to install and tune, they barely make any power, and run really bad at the track. Not to mention how ugly they look under the hood, especially the polished ones. For proof of this, go to www.yellohh.com There are a couple of videos and some new pics in gallery 4. Man, I just don't know what these people are thinking...
That is one ugly looking engine bay. You definetly need to do something about that grotesque growth on top of your motor.

Last edited by frank dupuy; 06-02-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 PM
pwrshhftd
Pro

Originally Posted by BlownV6
Wait for the Kenne Bell
didnt you say thia liek 6 months ago?

ina similar thread?

deja vu

lol

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger. What's the best bang for the buck?

Old 06-02-2005, 04:38 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pwrshhftd
didnt you say thia liek 6 months ago?

ina similar thread?

deja vu

lol

That was a good one!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:51 AM
ace67
Racer

Since iam a oversea customer iam wondering if its possible to get the Procharger unit tested before it ships so i can get a silent one otherwise the police will be after me directly. Seems kinda strange to me that the sound from the Procharger units differ so much wonder why ? and IMHO they should do something about there quality control if they have it at Procharger factory, to get rid of this very bad sounding chargers, they loose lots of customer on this. Who wants a blower that makes your car sound like it is broken ?

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
Both A&A (me) and ECS use Procharger head units. The noise that one customer described has nothing to do with it being either an A&A or ECS kit. His Procharger head unit is just noisier than some others.
Unfortunately, I'm not there to hear it in person so I can't tell him if it's defective or just one of the noisier ones. I can certainly exchange it if he wants to go that route.
Bang for the buck? In my unbiased opinion, my setup wins. It's on sale for $5000 and performs with the best of them. Upgrades to the D1 head unit and bigger BOV can be had for not much more.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:30 AM
ramcharger
Pro

If you want quiet, Vortech is the way to go. I really wish A&A would make a kit based upon a Vortech head unit. In my opinion, they make some of the best centrifugals on the market. Procharger is a close second, and I seriously considered one, but the sound issue was a deal-breaker.

Originally Posted by ace67
Since iam a oversea customer iam wondering if its possible to get the Procharger unit tested before it ships so i can get a silent one otherwise the police will be after me directly. Seems kinda strange to me that the sound from the Procharger units differ so much wonder why ? and IMHO they should do something about there quality control if they have it at Procharger factory, to get rid of this very bad sounding chargers, they loose lots of customer on this. Who wants a blower that makes your car sound like it is broken ?

Quick Reply: Supercharger. What's the best bang for the buck?