Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

In todays market which is better Lease or Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 AM
0Rick @ Les Stanford
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default In todays market which is better Lease or Buy?

With all of the great rebates and promo % rates along with big discounts such as Les Stanfords GM Supplier Pricing to everyone on all in stock Corvettes, as well as great leases starting at just $409.00 per month which is a better way to go.:)
Old 02-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (Rick @ Les Stanford)

I voted lease...in this situation it's hard to beat!
You're protected against depreciation from the C6...
You get a brand new car for the payments one several years older would be...
And if you fall in love with it (after all it IS the LAST year of the C5!) you can always keep it (probably pretty cheap, cuz banks are always more eager for you to buy it back than them take it to auction)...
Old 02-11-2004, 12:05 PM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (6318)

IAnd if you fall in love with it (after all it IS the LAST year of the C5!) you can always keep it (probably pretty cheap, cuz banks are always more eager for you to buy it back than them take it to auction)...
I assume you can negotiate the purchase price after your lease is over...or a negotiate a lease buyout in the middle of the lease?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:08 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (bagwell)

Lease if you change cars frequently.....otherwise buy :cheers: :seeya
Old 02-11-2004, 12:17 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (96 Collector Edition)

I change cars frequently but with amount I drive (25-30K/yr) it makes no sense to lease as the payments are the same as buying.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (BuckyThreadkiller)

I change cars frequently but with amount I drive (25-30K/yr) it makes no sense to lease as the payments are the same as buying.
Well in that case..BUY :lol: :lol: :lol: :seeya
Old 02-11-2004, 01:29 PM
BadC5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (96 Collector Edition)

I would rather lease, but since I have a lack of credit since I have went through home town banks all my life. I am also in college currently, and 22.... I can't get approved for a lease. So I am stuck purchasing everything, and yes.... the payment on my 99' FRC is more than the $409 a month lease. The only difference is, I bought my car in December and it will be paid off in May, so I won't have to make any more payments. I still can't get a new $50k Z06 yet...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:34 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (BadC5)

I would rather lease, but since I have a lack of credit since I have went through home town banks all my life. I am also in college currently, and 22.... I can't get approved for a lease. So I am stuck purchasing everything, and yes.... the payment on my 99' FRC is more than the $409 a month lease. The only difference is, I bought my car in December and it will be paid off in May, so I won't have to make any more payments. I still can't get a new $50k Z06 yet...
Count your blessings...in college with a Vette :eek: waaaay back when when I was in college it was used VW's or Chevy's...... :lol:
Old 02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
SeaFive
Team Owner

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (Rick @ Les Stanford)

Is it better to RENT or BUY? :confused:

That's what it comes down to :yesnod:
Old 02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (SeaFive)

Actually it is a case of would you rather own a depreciating asset or lease it and let the leasing company try to make up the depreciation. Your car will probably never be worth what you paid for it. If you can pay for only the partial use of the car for the time you drive it and not the declining equity why wouldn't you?

Unless or course you want to mod the heck out of it or drive it till the wheels fall off.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Beemerphile
Instructor

:iagree:
If you're like me, once you get a Corvette, you want to drive it every day.
Besides, it's a lot easied to add heads, a fat cam, air induction and annoying exhaust to something you own.... :reddevil
Old 02-11-2004, 08:08 PM
SeaFive
Team Owner

Actually it is a case of would you rather own a depreciating asset or lease it and let the leasing company try to make up the depreciation. Your car will probably never be worth what you paid for it. If you can pay for only the partial use of the car for the time you drive it and not the declining equity why wouldn't you?
In either case, it's a depreciating asset :yesnod:
And you are either RENTING or BUYING - it's that simple :cheers:
Old 02-12-2004, 08:22 AM
0Rick @ Les Stanford
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (SeaFive)

:)
Old 02-12-2004, 09:12 AM
vettesurfer
Racer

I guess it all depends, do you want to almost have your vette paid for in three years or do you want to be turning it in with nothing in your pocket and no car. It also depends on if you want a new car evrey few years.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:18 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

http://www.finance.cch.com/sohoApplets/BuyvsLease.html http://loan.yahoo.com/a/basics4.html http://www.adquest3d.com/content.cfm?BRD=418&PAG=34 http://www.leaseguide.com/index2.htm :confused:
Old 02-12-2004, 12:32 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (vettesurfer)

I guess it all depends, do you want to almost have your vette paid for in three years or do you want to be turning it in with nothing in your pocket and no car. It also depends on if you want a new car evrey few years.
:iagree: :seeya
Old 02-12-2004, 01:43 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (vettesurfer)

For me, I don't pay off a car in three years - I go for 4 or 5. So where I'm at now is the payoff is a little less than the trade-in value of the car. I never seem to keep a car long enough... If I trade it in, I'll have little to no money in my pocket - maybe enough for a downpayment on another. Very little difference for me whether I buy or lease. If I buy a car for $500 a month and have enough money for a downpayment when I turn it in, what's the difference if I lease the same car for $400, save the $100 extra in the bank every month with interest, and when the lease is up, take that money and go lease another? Same $$ out of pocket for me, and the car has the same value at the point I will trade it as if I was buying it. Plus now, if you can get the residual set high, there might be a great value at the end of the lease if you want to bargain down the price - since this will be the "old" 'Vette then...

Get notified of new replies

To In todays market which is better Lease or Buy?

Old 02-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Night Bird
Intermediate

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (BSiegPaint)

So you are saying with the new vette coming out you mihgt be able to bargin down the residual price a good bit.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (Night Bird)

For me, I don't pay off a car in three years - I go for 4 or 5. So where I'm at now is the payoff is a little less than the trade-in value of the car. I never seem to keep a car long enough... If I trade it in, I'll have little to no money in my pocket - maybe enough for a downpayment on another. Very little difference for me whether I buy or lease. If I buy a car for $500 a month and have enough money for a downpayment when I turn it in, what's the difference if I lease the same car for $400, save the $100 extra in the bank every month with interest, and when the lease is up, take that money and go lease another? Same $$ out of pocket for me, and the car has the same value at the point I will trade it as if I was buying it. Plus now, if you can get the residual set high, there might be a great value at the end of the lease if you want to bargain down the price - since this will be the "old" 'Vette then...
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Old 02-13-2004, 08:08 AM
0Rick @ Les Stanford
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06
Default Re: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy? (6318)

:)

Quick Reply: In todays market which is better Lease or Buy?