Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

2002 black on black Z06 with water damage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:08 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage.

Car has a water damage title is Indiana salvage I Do not have the vin yet will have it tomorrow. Car only has 7,569 miles as you can see in the pictures the interior got wet as the moisture in the windows is present it looks like the water got to the shifter.
And as you can see it also has some parts removed from the motor,
The shifter ball is gone and the wheels are the stock 5 spokes and the front RH tire is off the rim.
Ok I have to change my tune on this car, Price is 23K
I can send anyone who is truly interested the car fax but I need

[Modified by phrogs, 5:29 PM 10/24/2003]

Last edited by phrogs; 12-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage. (phrogs)

Sent you a email.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:22 PM
phrogs
Race Director

OK Updated info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vin # 1G1YY12S725125415 I can email the carfax to anyone who wants it
I have to change my tune on this car, Price is 23K
I can send anyone who is truly interested the car fax but I need to know if you are truly interested in this car and I can Bid on it for you, it is at a insurance auction.
Let me know before the 25th of this month yes that is tommorow...

I need to know if you want it and also I would need a down paymnet of 4K sent to my escrow service before I can bid.

Let me know if you want this baby.

[Modified by phrogs, 5:28 PM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 08:33 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

let us know how much it goes for!

how much u gonna make off of it?

[Modified by dvandentop, 7:35 PM 10/24/2003]
Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Default Re: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage. (dvandentop)

copart auction?
Old 10-24-2003, 09:01 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Copart indy. Water line is high BE CAREFUL.
Tommy
:chevy
Old 10-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage. (tommyn)

That car could be only good for parts, if you could find any good parts left. :nono: The computer would have been fried underwater with the battery still connected! All electronics and the radio in the dashboard soaked and fried! All electric motors ( seats, windows, electric radiator fans and AC fan motor) and there are alot more of them would likely need to be replaced. Engine and trans/clutch would be water logged, I don't even want to think about that!! Anything that turns and has a bearing would most likely be corroded. This is giving me a headache!!! What a waste of a nice car!!! :nonod:
Old 10-25-2003, 09:16 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Have you seen the car in person?? If so Where is the water line???
I really cant see a water line on this car, the interior still looks good in the pictures hell its hard to see any water line at all??
most of the time you will have dirt of grass something will be on the inside.
If this car was on a incline and only was partialy hit even if it was the motor.
I have delt with cars that have been flodded its always looks worse than it really is.

It is not hard to clean up a car like this that has been water damaged, corrosion will be there but its not like it will be destroyed by corrosion, and any motor, power seat or power window, starter anything like that can be taken apart cleaned and reinstalled It all depends on how cheep you want to get into a car....IF your willing to do all the hard work to get it back on the road, is it salvagble hell yeah

anyway Im not going to buy it theres no way I can afford what it is going to go for, the Z06's have been going for low 20K's when there is nothing left of the nose totaled by accident and they go for that much!

Ill let you all know what it goes for.... :lurk:

[Modified by phrogs, 8:23 AM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-25-2003, 10:24 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

yeah i know i see really f'ed up ones go on ebay for 20k
Old 10-25-2003, 11:26 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Here is a good example of a water damaged car I wouldnt EVER BUY
This is a 2001 coupe that was flodded notice the dirt and green plant life that are in the car, This Is what I concider a flodded car, The Z06 above was not hit anywhere near this hard! If the water makes it to the dash I will not touch them, If its below the dash your good to go, anything below that can make it in my opinion you have some power excesories and a few wiring harnesses to clean up new carpet and new seats and alot of elbow greese and trust me youll be sitting pretty!
Your motor will be fine even if it did get some water into it from either the exhaust or maybe through the dip stick just a simple drain and flush will fix your engine, trany and rearend. Dont forget the rear and trannys have vent tubes so It doesnt take a flood to get water into those parts!

[Modified by phrogs, 10:30 AM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

[QUOTE]If the water makes it to the dash I will not touch them, If its below the dash your good to go, anything below that can make it in my opinion you have some power excesories and a few wiring harnesses to clean up new carpet and new seats and alot of elbow greese and trust me youll be sitting pretty!
Your motor will be fine even if it did get some water into it from either the exhaust or maybe through the dip stick just a simple drain and flush will fix your engine, trany and rearend. Dont forget the rear and trannys have vent tubes so It doesnt take a flood to get water into those parts!
QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see what that car will sell for at auction. The pictures posted show the engine manifold covered with a muddy residue. If the engine was covered in water, the dash instruments were underwater also. The car computer is located under the battery, so that’s toast. The exterior photos show windows fogged as water is still trying to evaporate from the saturated interior. The interior photos show the dash instruments either covered with silt or fogged from the inside with water.
My very first car as a teenager was a flood damaged car. It was a brand new 68’ Cougar XR7 that had only 800 miles on it. It still looked virtually new with no real evidence of water damage. My dad was an auto mechanic and warned me not to buy it. He finally gave in because I had the cash saved up and really wanted it. It took almost a year of work as I disassembled and cleaned everything at my dad’s auto shop. There was water and corrosion in every single component of the car. The engine, auto trans and rear end were completely taken apart piece by piece and cleaned/refurbished. All wheel bearings and universal joints were replaced. All electric motors, switches, wiring harness connectors, all headlamps, their motors, tail lights, side marker lamps, all in dash electrics were taken apart and cleaned one by one ….. I could go on and on. It was a very valuable learning experience as I completely dissembled the car and put it back together again. I got it running, but never could make it quite right. As soon as I finished it I traded it in on a 64’ Corvette coupe and vowed never to make a mistake like that again.
That 68’ XR7 was a “Stone Age” car compared to the very complex 2002 Z06 with all its engine computer controls, ABS, and traction control. I am an MS Electrical Engineer with 30 years experience... this would be pretty much like taking your desktop or laptop throwing it in the ocean or a lake and then expecting it to work after wiping it off.
A quote is in order here,
“ Any fool can learn from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others”
:D
Old 10-25-2003, 06:27 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Default Re: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage. (NEXEX)

I

[Modified by phrogs, 5:35 PM 10/25/2003]

Last edited by phrogs; 12-07-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

:iagree: Your right, it all depends on who wants what. It could be the ideal situation for a race car or a cheap Z06 entry car... If you were trying to sell your own car, I wouldn't have said anything. Since it was a insurance auction I thought it would be a good idea to relate some personal experience I've had with unseen water damage. Oh.. BTW, I do have a super monitor... and a crystal ball!! Tarot anyone?? :D :thumbs: :seeya

P.S. In between time I'm working toward getting my Rotary Wing License... maybe finished by this summer. I LOVE flying helicopters!!!!! I'm training a few hours a week in a R22 now. My dream copter is a Robinson R44 with the new fuel injected engine!!! :party: I thinking MAG RED!!! :flag Is this a great country or what!! :D
Old 10-25-2003, 07:04 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

FLAME SUIT ON!!
Phrogs,
You are better off beating a dead horse than trying to pass off a salvage car on this forum. I have inspected this car and it is not so bad, it actually has run but you will need a computer and a few other things. I am in the salvage business, including sales of salvage title/ rebuilt cars to the public. I have a lot in Indiana. Most of my cars are theft, or easy damage repairs. People on this forum seem to have the attitude that if there is a history such as salvage the car is junk. Let me just say I have a C5 with theft salvage history and a S600 mercedes with flood damage history that are my personal cars and I have not had any problems wiht my benz other than an air bag derm and a battery. I am not saying all cars are like this but If you know what your looking and and the price is right why not. I own both these cars for 50% what current retail price is. I would rather have more car for my money any day of the week. My C5 is currentely being modded as most on this forum seem to be but I have about 10k extra to start the madness. Also there is an 04 triple black convert with 1000 miles, theft recovery NO DAMAGE
at copart hammond, current bid 25k. I think you can buy this car for 35k. Save 10k for mods I'm in. Best of luck Tommy
JKAUTO-SALES.COM
:chevy :chevy
Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM
JOHNNY P.
Drifting

Location: IF YOUR BIG DOLLAR PROJECT DOESN'T RUN 9'S OR BETTER ....BURN IT ! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GRAB A LANE ! CHICAGO IL. -------- HOME OF THE FASTEST STREETCARS BARNONE !
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tommy ! :seeya
Old 10-25-2003, 07:54 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Well I think this would be the perfect canidate for a race car because if you wreck it oh well! :thumbs:

But As far as I judge water damage is this anything below the water line must be removed and cleaned any mechanical compontets will need attention but usually it will be a simple drain and flush and the interior is where the most work will be done. :thumbs:

[Modified by phrogs, 7:00 PM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-26-2003, 05:09 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

:seeya Did someome switch the Z06 wheels? I'm looking for just a FRC body to gut and race.

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:45 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Default Re: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage. (Intimidator454)

what did it go for?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:09 PM
speedjohnson
Pro

I'm looking for a Z06 to run in SCCA T1.

I'd gut the interior anyway. With a new crate motor and harness it could work out well for me.

Please e-mail me with your terms, location; ect.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:25 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Default Re: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage. (speedjohnson)

johnny

Last edited by phrogs; 12-07-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 black on black Z06 with water damage.