Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Im sorry but I am pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 08:50 PM
fstvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (Fastguy)

Yep, Its just a vette. One of a lot of thousands. You will need to get a saleen or viper or Porshe or something that is pretty rare if you want the resale. But even the regular saleens are taking a hurting now. Cars are a bad investment if you buy them new.

Look on the bright side more people are driving the wheels off the vettes now that they are so common. If you are going to loose that much money at least have fun driving it.
:steering:
Old 01-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Y2KSuperSport
Instructor

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (fstvette)

nice stable there..
Old 01-01-2003, 11:49 PM
xtremess
Advanced

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (Y2KSuperSport)

To the viper guy, are you saying that there were 15,000 vipers produced total since 93 including gts and rt/10s ? if so that is crazy I thought there were much more than that
Old 01-02-2003, 12:50 AM
buddybgdog
Racer

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (BobG)

Yeah, I was curious on the production numbers for Impalas and Monte Carlos and a couple other GM products... Is this info online anywhere?

Old 01-02-2003, 03:35 AM
LegendNH
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (buddybgdog)

Yeah, I was curious on the production numbers for Impalas and Monte Carlos and a couple other GM products... Is this info online anywhere?
In 2001:
208.395 Impalas
72.596 Monte Carlos
http://www.autointell.com/nao_compan...rs/gmsales.htm
Old 01-02-2003, 04:20 AM
lilviv
Advanced

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (BobG)

Bobg, I was about to post the same thing until I read yours . . . no kidding, who the hell are these more than 27,000 people that bought the Aztek? Or, did they order online or something without pictures. :p:
Old 01-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Zproud
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (xtremess)

Ok sure it bad now But how would you like to be the guy that I know that had an o2 awd turbo 911 porsche was well over 100k could not sell it only drove it 1000 miles had to trade it in lost 60k in the deal ( did not like the car) that is more than a new vette. I went to trade my clean 87 and was offered 3400.00
I will just drive it to the wheels fall off at 1 k per year it will last me a long time :seeya
Old 01-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,466 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (misteroman$$$)

That is the one good thing about a Viper.Try to find on 03 for under a 100K :eek: and these are Ebay prices.I couldn't believe it when I seen it..They all wanted like 120K for their cars.now thats a mark up.
Derek
That happened when the Viper was released in 1992. I actually have a photo of a sticker for $195K on a 1992 Viper. What's 92 Viper worth now? The same thing happened with the 84 C4 and the 90 ZR1. Those who have the means and want to be first are going to pay. For me, I wait and buy mine used with low mileage. :flag :seeya
Old 01-04-2003, 03:03 PM
ifeeltheneedforspeed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (Fastguy)

Some other thoughts on the depreciation on all years of C5's and C4's.

1) The spread between wholesale and retail is large (15%) and that costs us lots of money when we want to trade in or sell or cars. The dealer makes this spread because they provide a service (marketing, warranty, and financing, and they are sitting on expensive inventory). Unfortunately this is the same for all cars and all people.
2) Our vettes seem to depreciate a similar percentage amount as most other cars. The dollar figure seems high because the initial cost is high.
3) The first year of depreciation is always the highest and then it tapers off until it is 5 years old and then the values hold fairly well with smaller percentages of depreciation from that point on. Of course with a 5 year old car with 60k miles the value is 40% of the new car invoice.
4) Most cars that are not collectable depreciate based upon mileage and not many people are going to pay much for a C4 or C5 with high mileage (80k plus miles).
5) Lastly, I don't think GM wants to sell vettes for more than $50k because they know that incremental price increases will drive their volumes down considerably. Their production capacity is around 35,000 to 50,000 per year and they need it to stay there to be profitable. Even if they made it more special (Exotic materials, overhead cams, higher grade of content, 500 hp, better build quality) and had a higher price I dont think they would sell 35,000 of them at a price of $60k to $70k. You begin to run out of the pool of people who can afford that price level and their volumes would be 15,000 units. That would really mess up their production overhead and consequently the profit.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:12 PM
TheWoody
Racer

I am glad to be the owner of a vette. It took me until I was 26 to get my first and I am glad I bought it.

I am not rich. I grew up in what would be considered poverty by the census bureau. I did my best in school, but since college was not an option because I could not afford it, the Air Force became my future. After 6 years in the service (7 now, 13 to go!), I was able to buy my dreamcar.

The Corvette being symbolic of the "Average Joe's" sports car is right on the money. If you wanted to be set apart from the rest, get an Italian rocket. People who even attempt to consider themselves above the "burgoise" here in America need to remember the underpaid people who put you there. Teachers, police, firemen, and military deserve to own a vette, also.

Old 01-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Disco Stu
Safety Car

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (383LPE)

I don't give a darn about current resale values. I'm not selling mine, i'm driving it. if you want an investment, buy stocks, not new cars
Old 01-05-2003, 01:15 AM
b3arcat
Cruising

This exchange has helped me alot. I do (did) have my coupe up for sale at what I thought was a very reasonable price but with the lack of interest and looking at FS posts, I'm no longer going to try a sell it. Someone wants to buy it, fine but I won't give it away. I don't need the money, just the garage space. Was hoping to work on a restoration project 'vette over the winter but don't have two garages.

I guess I'll just drive the wheels off of it as someone suggested and enjoy the car. It doesn't seem to pay to keep the miles off. I won't in the future though buy another new 'vette. The percentages are bad for the depreciation rate. Other cars at these price points don't drop 50% of their value in three years. Chevy Chevelle's and Camaros I can understand.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:55 AM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (TheWoody)

great post woody. I agree!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Joecooool
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jax Events Coordinator
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

So make yours unique.

I'd like to think I could still get $50K for my 01 Z06. If I ever want to sell it and find the right buyer, I may just get that. But right now I don't care. Mine is paid for and I'm enjoying it.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (96VegasVette)

:iagree: Actually I think this is an understatement as to what the C6 is going to do to C5 Prices. I'm sure some will argue the point stating that prices will rebound or whatever but I don't see it happening. I am dying to get a C5 now, but a 03 Z06 for 32K sure would be nice (obviously I'm just speculating on pricing once the C6 hits the market.) The way I see it is, they aren't selling well now and price gouging will continue as sellers become more eager/desperate to sell. As some start to dump lower and lower it pulls the rest down as people aren't willing to pay 42k for the "same" ride Joe blow just paid 37K for so they sit and wait for the next good deal, and the deals keep coming and getting better. I honestly do feel bad for the individuals needing to get out from under their cars for whatever reason as it is not a pretty picture resale value wise and it will get much worse in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong for you sellers, hope I'm right for all of us "Average Joe" buyers, lol.[/QUOTE][QUOTE]And guys its only gonna get worse, then when a new vette comes out they will screw you for about $10,000 oversticker.!

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :lol: ...at the end of this year if the price really dips more than 6,000 below msrp like some dealers offered this year end...I will grab one quick...we will just have to see what happens...that would be awesome...I'v always thought that a corvette was an "adult toy" anyway and I don't really care what the price goes to after I get a new one because I get a million dollars worth of fun everytime I drive mine... :cheers:
Old 01-10-2003, 07:21 AM
DynoDon
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

I sure would like to have all the $$$ back that I lost on cars over the years. I never bought one thinking it was an investment, I bought them to enjoy. I sold my fully optioned 14,000 mile 99 Coupe in October of 2001. Although is was in pristine condition & had over $7K worth of goodies on it... I was was only able to get $32K for it :( It's the price you pay to have fun! My current little "toy" is about to go back to the chassis shop..I'll be lucky to get her out of there for less than $8K....then there's the blower overhaul, engine freshening, new interior, paint etc. When it's all finished, I probably couldn't get close to what I originally paid for her...but she be fast & pretty :D
Old 01-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: Im sorry but I am pissed! (DynoDon)

I sure would like to have all the $$$ back that I lost on cars over the years. I never bought one thinking it was an investment, I bought them to enjoy. I sold my fully optioned 14,000 mile 99 Coupe in October of 2001. Although is was in pristine condition & had over $7K worth of goodies on it... I was was only able to get $32K for it :( It's the price you pay to have fun! My current little "toy" is about to go back to the chassis shop..I'll be lucky to get her out of there for less than $8K....then there's the blower overhaul, engine freshening, new interior, paint etc. When it's all finished, I probably couldn't get close to what I originally paid for her...but she be fast & pretty :D
:yesnod: and a lot of fun....just the way I feel.... :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Im sorry but I am pissed!