Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

What is it worth? 1999 Nassau blue 174k

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM
BigGoals
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What is it worth? 1999 Nassau blue 174k

Toying with the idea of selling my '99 Nassau blue vette with 174k miles to pay off some student loans, curious what the market would be for it?
Key points-
Needs new tires (would replace, but if I'm going to sell I figure the new buyer may want a particular tire brand)
LS7 clutch and flywheel with clutch bleeder (50k miles)
New Zo6 shocks
Trans/Diff have ~100k miles
The rest of the car is stock, and it has not been tuned.

Original engine
Everything on the car works, no codes
Paint is in good condition for 174k miles
Drivers side seat cover needs to be replaced
Complete service records since delivery (A/C compressor, radiator, harmonic balancer, etc. all documented, mileage and date of replacement)

Solid daily driver.

Last edited by BigGoals; 01-31-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

If I were you I'd put it up for 9500 various places online and be opened to offers. I've seen similar cars with your mileage sell for less, but you have a 6spd, so that's a positive for you.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I just paid 10,400 out the door from a dealership in TX for a Nassau Blue 2000 FRC with 124k miles for reference. It sounds like it was in comparable condition to yours- just for referencing. I also think that was a pretty low price for the car but I maybe wrong. I know the blue helps sell these cars for sure!

Last edited by Despicable Z; 02-01-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:28 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

^That's also dealer pricing, which varies from private party for sure. Your car also has substantially less mileage.

Dont' get me wrong, a 6spd blue coupe with 170k is NO problem to me, but to the typical demographics that buy these cars, it places it in a "funky" space in the market. That space being camaro/mustang guys trying to be big time and generally they have no money.

In my opinion, a C5 6spd with 170k that is decently kept is a good buy at 8500...i'd feel real solid about it. 9k max.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I really appreciate a car that's been driven.

Out of curiosity:

- What was done with the trans/diff 100k miles ago?
- Anything else wrong, or if not wrong, that you would do?
- Got photos? Interior, engine bay, even under the car?
- Where is it located?
- I can't tell from your photo - FRC or Targa?

Last edited by gimp; 02-01-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 PM
BigGoals
Racer

Originally Posted by gimp
I really appreciate a car that's been driven.

Out of curiosity:

- Got photos? Interior, engine bay, even under the car?
- Where is it located?
- I can't tell from your photo - FRC or Targa?
I also think cars like these should be driven!

Not 100k ago, but a used trans and diff were put in about 60k miles ago, each had 40-50k miles on them so they now have roughly 100k miles on them. The reverse lock out was not working on the original transmission and IIRC one gear was having problems. The differential was swapped because the clutch packs were worn out.
The only thing that comes to mind that is "wrong" is that it is missing it's front emblem, it was cracking and lost one of its inserts so I just took it off. The only thing I have been planning on doing is having the original alternator rebuilt - I figure after 174k it could use a refresh.
- Got photos? Interior, engine bay, even under the car? I could, but don't currently have them, just toying with the idea of selling.
- Where is it located? DFW, TX
- I can't tell from your photo - FRC or Targa? Targa
Old 02-02-2016, 04:45 AM
JC316
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The miles are going to kill you. I had an 05 GTO with 192K on it and even though it was mechanically perfect, I got so many people telling me that it was going to need a new engine right away and other BS excuses. My guess would be on you getting $7500-$8500 for it.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Monks
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by craig_vette
Figured I'd chime in since I've been looking for a Nassau Blue FRC. I found one near Atlanta, but I'm not mechanically inclined so, although it sounds like a great deal, I'm leery about purchasing b/c if something goes wrong, I'll be screwed. However, I figure the guys on this forum could work their way through any problems they might encounter with this vehicle. I wouldn't post this if I were still interested in it (for fear of creating buying competition), but here you go in case you're looking for (the ever so hard to find) Nassau Blue FRC. I don't know the guy nor have I seen it in person. It's about 7 hours away from me.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/5398650282.html
Looks like a nice car to me, and a fair price for a desirable color.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I had tried to sell my 99 FRC with 156k miles, lots of real nice mods. Best cash offer I received was 8600.00.

I ended up trading it, felt I got more value that way, and it was for what I was looking to buy in place of the vette anyway, which I lucked out on imo
Old 02-02-2016, 05:43 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info. I feel like if the car is inexpensive enough, it'll qualify for an 'impulse purchase' or a project car. Of course, even if it's in perfect condition for the age (and 200k on a stock LS1 should be completely trivial, that motor should make it to a million miles with some maintenance) you're still looking at stuff like new tires, which ain't cheap. I think the out-the-door cost (car, anything mechanical that needs fixing, tires, taxes, etc) should be under nine grand.

I am almost tempted.

Just out of curiosity... with those miles, you must have replaced stuff like (not necessarily all, but some of) the tie rod ends, ball joints, struts, bushings, motor and tranny mounts, cv axles, abs sensors, etc etc etc. Hell, pretty much every suspension component can have failed by that point, though of course many of them haven't. If I know GM, window motors and/or switches might be giving you pain. A new alternator - honestly, a rebuild can't save you that much money over buying a new one or a reman one. With the age and miles, a lot of parts become consumables. I think a buyer's interest should depend on how many of those components are known to need replacing, how many were replaced, how many a good mechanic will point to as needing replacement eventually...

Anyone worrying about the engine and trans is probably worrying about the wrong thing, IMO.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:17 AM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedarberry
I had tried to sell my 99 FRC with 156k miles, lots of real nice mods. Best cash offer I received was 8600.00.

I ended up trading it, felt I got more value that way, and it was for what I was looking to buy in place of the vette anyway, which I lucked out on imo
I was selling my '99 FRC with 136k and I turned down a few $13,500 offers.

Decided to keep her and sell the S/C Coupe.

OP good luck with your sale, you can get around $9k from the right buyer. Ignore tire kickers and dreamers.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 PM
BigGoals
Racer

Originally Posted by gimp
Thanks for the info. I feel like if the car is inexpensive enough, it'll qualify for an 'impulse purchase' or a project car. Of course, even if it's in perfect condition for the age (and 200k on a stock LS1 should be completely trivial, that motor should make it to a million miles with some maintenance) you're still looking at stuff like new tires, which ain't cheap. I think the out-the-door cost (car, anything mechanical that needs fixing, tires, taxes, etc) should be under nine grand.

I am almost tempted.

Just out of curiosity... with those miles, you must have replaced stuff like (not necessarily all, but some of) the tie rod ends, ball joints, struts, bushings, motor and tranny mounts, cv axles, abs sensors, etc etc etc. Hell, pretty much every suspension component can have failed by that point, though of course many of them haven't. If I know GM, window motors and/or switches might be giving you pain. A new alternator - honestly, a rebuild can't save you that much money over buying a new one or a reman one. With the age and miles, a lot of parts become consumables. I think a buyer's interest should depend on how many of those components are known to need replacing, how many were replaced, how many a good mechanic will point to as needing replacement eventually...

Anyone worrying about the engine and trans is probably worrying about the wrong thing, IMO.
No worries, I never said it was for sale anyway . I think the consensus is to expect 9k on a good day. I have kept her too well and know the car too well to let it go for 9k... Guess that just means I will have to wait a few extra months to pay off my loans/fund IRA's - not worth selling my baby. I would need 10k+ to be satisfied and that seems unrealistic considering miles, tires, etc.

The hubs, motor/tranny mounts and axles are all original IIRC. I expected to replace the hubs by now but they are still going strong. I had all of the guibos and bearings replaced in the torque tube when I did the clutch/tranny/diff. Sway bars were upgraded around 100k. I would have to look at my record book to see what suspension components have been replaced. In my last 60k/2.5yrs of ownership I have only replaced the shocks/struts all around with C6 Zo6 ones. I had it aligned recently without a problem, so I think the other steering/suspension components are in fair condition or else firestone would have loved to solicit the work. I did a lot of 150-400 mile road trips which I believe helped the longevity of steering/suspension components.

Originally Posted by LiveToRace99
I was selling my '99 FRC with 136k and I turned down a few $13,500 offers.

Decided to keep her and sell the S/C Coupe.

OP good luck with your sale, you can get around $9k from the right buyer. Ignore tire kickers and dreamers.
When was that? doesn't seem like today's prices lol. Yep, maybe I should just sell the '79 Firebird T/A in my driveway that doesn't move....

Thanks for the all of comments- I'll leave you guys with this-

Last edited by BigGoals; 02-04-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: picture
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGoals
No worries, I never said it was for sale anyway . I think the consensus is to expect 9k on a good day. I have kept her too well and know the car too well to let it go for 9k... Guess that just means I will have to wait a few extra months to pay off my loans/fund IRA's - not worth selling my baby. I would need 10k+ to be satisfied and that seems unrealistic considering miles, tires, etc.

The hubs, motor/tranny mounts and axles are all original IIRC. I expected to replace the hubs by now but they are still going strong. I had all of the guibos and bearings replaced in the torque tube when I did the clutch/tranny/diff. Sway bars were upgraded around 100k. I would have to look at my record book to see what suspension components have been replaced. In my last 60k/2.5yrs of ownership I have only replaced the shocks/struts all around with C6 Zo6 ones. I had it aligned recently without a problem, so I think the other steering/suspension components are in fair condition or else firestone would have loved to solicit the work. I did a lot of 150-400 mile road trips which I believe helped the longevity of steering/suspension components.
You've done some nice upgrades, including rebuilding the torque tube when doing the clutch (I did the same on my FRC when doing a C5Z clutch).

...When was that? doesn't seem like today's prices lol. Yep, maybe I should just sell the '79 Firebird T/A in my driveway that doesn't move....
I was selling my FRC just a few weeks ago, listed here and locally. I had a long listing, probably 10 short paragraphs, detailing all the service and upgrade history. I also had about 30 pictures and a youtube video. The forum price was $13,900 and after the last guy told me it was worth $12,000 I took it off the market and decided to keep it and sell the S/C Coupe I replaced it with.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I totally agree with you, man. I also have an older car (nothing fancy) - 2000 model year, clock just rolled 142, and putting on ~20k miles a year. The road tripping I do means I absolutely have to keep it mechanically sound. There is simply no way to sell an old but extremely sound car, especially one you've put a lot of miles in and feel a connection with, for a fair price - a price that would satisfy you is higher than what they tend to go for.

Keep it, drive it, it looks great man.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 PM
bpotter05
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if you decide to sell
Old 03-24-2016, 08:38 PM
bpotter05
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found one

Get notified of new replies