Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Dont waste your time with AutoTrader

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 AM
barrydt102
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etekberg
Easy to call BS on this one. I sold 4 or 5 vehicles through craigslist.
I've never sold a vette via CL, however I have used CL to buy and sell many things and I have always had good luck.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

I bought my car via Autotrader. Everyone in CO thinks their shjt's made of gold.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just want to throw my hat in... I put my Viper ACR up on AutoTrader and, although the first 50 calls or so were scammy listing agencies trying to make $200 to peddle the car to the clients they had who were definitely, really ready to buy it, it did eventually generate substantial interest.

I still won't use them again.

Why?

Because after the car sold at my asking price, which *was* the product of an AutoTrader lead, I tried to take it down. Did everything I needed to, hit the button... didn't come down.

I kept getting calls. Calls from other time zones (rare car, lots of far-flung interest) waking me up, bugging me at work, etc. Finally called Auto Trader to ask WTF and get them to take it down. Woman did it manually after 30 minutes on the phone and said it would be down within the hour.

Damn if that ad isn't still up and I'm still getting calls about it 6 months after the sale.

I'm 99% sure that craigslist is doing it to boost their search engine ranking because thousands of people have looked at the car (probably 99% dreamers, etc.), and so they can say they have more cars available at a given time. That's just as skammy as what those listing agencies were doing. No thank you.

Cars.com did not generate a single non-scammer lead.

Craigslist and Ebay. I've bought 5 cars that way (including several high-end) and never had an issue.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM
littleking
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka
Just want to throw my hat in... I put my Viper ACR up on AutoTrader and, although the first 50 calls or so were scammy listing agencies trying to make $200 to peddle the car to the clients they had who were definitely, really ready to buy it, it did eventually generate substantial interest.

I still won't use them again.

Why?

Because after the car sold at my asking price, which *was* the product of an AutoTrader lead, I tried to take it down. Did everything I needed to, hit the button... didn't come down.

I kept getting calls. Calls from other time zones (rare car, lots of far-flung interest) waking me up, bugging me at work, etc. Finally called Auto Trader to ask WTF and get them to take it down. Woman did it manually after 30 minutes on the phone and said it would be down within the hour.

Damn if that ad isn't still up and I'm still getting calls about it 6 months after the sale.

I'm 99% sure that craigslist is doing it to boost their search engine ranking because thousands of people have looked at the car (probably 99% dreamers, etc.), and so they can say they have more cars available at a given time. That's just as skammy as what those listing agencies were doing. No thank you.

Cars.com did not generate a single non-scammer lead.

Craigslist and Ebay. I've bought 5 cars that way (including several high-end) and never had an issue.
This is when you ask them to change your phone number because you moved. You can set up a free phone number through Google Voice, and just leave a voice mail stating the car has sold. This way the calls don't bother you and potential buyers get the information stating the car is gone.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had great luck with Autotrader . Both as a buyer and seller. If you price your car to high though,you will have trouble on any site.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM
ERDOC
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sold two BMWs and one Corvette on AutoTrader with no issues. Both BMWs were bought by dealers who watch AutoTrader.

Quick Reply: Dont waste your time with AutoTrader