Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

I think I found a C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:50 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I think I found a C5

Greetings!

I've been lurking here for the past month or so and I have been blessed by the information on this site. I am going to look at a 2003 Coupe tomorrow and the dealer told me that the car had an aftermarket radio, but it was stolen. How much should I ask him to discount the car in lieu of a radio that I will probably replace in the not too distant future. I think that we may have some room for negotiation because the car has over 90,00 miles and some paint damage on the right rear and some road rash on the right front tire. He's asking 12,995.00. any help would be most appreciated.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

salvage title car with 90k and god only knows how it was driven in the theft?

8000-9000 dollar car

12.9 would be a pretty fair deal on a clean title car, even 13.9

but you can't pay up for a salvage car, you HAVE to get in them cheap because the next guy you sell it to will have the same view
Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Binski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 fixed roof coupe (FRC) with less miles! no paint issues! a great radio and no road rash. It is a Black on black with a z51 suspension. A Southern CA car, no rust, see ad in the forum. Price is somewhat flexible. sounds like you might be able to do better than $13 k. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
salvage title car with 90k and god only knows how it was driven in the theft?

8000-9000 dollar car
12.9 would be a pretty fair deal on a clean title car, even 13.9

but you can't pay up for a salvage car, you HAVE to get in them cheap because the next guy you sell it to will have the same view
The aftermarket radio was stolen, not the whole car, read through it again It should have a clean title. Price might be a bit high for the miles and condition, I'd personally offer him 11k and see what they say. Seems to me that there are better deals in the Classifieds here than anything local....

Last edited by LateBreak; 01-21-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. The California car sounds nice, but I'm in the Deep South. The trip would be a little far. I'll see the car in the morning. It seems to have been on the lot for a bit . They might be ready to deal (I hope).
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Start your counter at 9999 & end at 11 if it checks out

Where in the Confederacy?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 AM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Thanks, I'll try it. I'm in Alabama
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 AM
Flight Test
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by KAGEY228
Thanks, I'll try it. I'm in Alabama
Would you consider a C5 in Texas?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

I'm back! I went to look at and test drive the C5 today, and I was not to terribly impressed. First of all, it was cold and the battery was dead. The car had a little curb ras on the wheels and the driver's seat was a little ragged. the targa top was oxidized and dull looking. the radio was missing and the a/c controls did not light up, though the heat did work. The engine was smooth at idle, though a little sluggish on the test ride. the front end was quite loose with several clunks underneath. the brakes stopped ok, but the rotors look a little scored. And the oil pressure gauge read 80 psi the whole time. I talked with the dealer and he assured me that he would get the front end checked out. He called me and said that the front end had new ball joints and hubs, but needed shocks. He also said that he was going to replace the rotors and pads, but he was going to get a price quote for the shocks and the seat repairs. The tires look new, but the tps monitor did not register in the dash. Is it usual for Corvettes to sound like the front end is broken when the shocks are worn? I am still considering the car if the price is right. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Honestly ill pass on it but then you have to realize and understand that car is 10-11 years old so its an old car..
Have you checked out the forsale section in the forums? Ive seen a few of them priced good and the sellers seem motivated. .I never buy used cars from dealers unless there brand new..but then again thats just me.i rather buy from a private seller who knows very well what he's selling and mostly always they can provide service records..
Goodluck with your search and dont rush and settle for just anything. It took me a whole year and traveling around to different states untill ive found my c5z
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Flight Test
Would you consider a C5 in Texas?
Texas is where its at lol..I brought mines from out of Houston and im very pleased with it..the vettes in my area where going for anywhere from 13,000 to a ridiculous whopping $30,000 for a 1998 lol..after a few searches on craigslist i found the perfect one and went took that drive to pick it up
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KAGEY228
I'm back! I went to look at and test drive the C5 today, and I was not to terribly impressed. First of all, it was cold and the battery was dead. The car had a little curb ras on the wheels and the driver's seat was a little ragged. the targa top was oxidized and dull looking. the radio was missing and the a/c controls did not light up, though the heat did work. The engine was smooth at idle, though a little sluggish on the test ride. the front end was quite loose with several clunks underneath. the brakes stopped ok, but the rotors look a little scored. And the oil pressure gauge read 80 psi the whole time. I talked with the dealer and he assured me that he would get the front end checked out. He called me and said that the front end had new ball joints and hubs, but needed shocks. He also said that he was going to replace the rotors and pads, but he was going to get a price quote for the shocks and the seat repairs. The tires look new, but the tps monitor did not register in the dash. Is it usual for Corvettes to sound like the front end is broken when the shocks are worn? I am still considering the car if the price is right. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Run Forest Run!!! is what comes to my mind when I read this description of the car. Lots of stuff wrong with it. Granted its used, but I learned my lesson on my first Vette by not spending just a little more money to get a lot less headache.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
DRAFT1
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't do it. To many out there to fight that mess.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
retired08
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default How about a SUPER CLEAN 2000?

2000 C-5, 75K, auto, sliver w/ Z06 interior, check out the pics posted on "evanrocks" post...right up the road in Arkansas...$16,200 or call 870-204-6866
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 AM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car sounds like junk.. pass on it immediately.. plenty of forum members that you can get a much nicer car from. Might have to travel a little but it would be well worth it over some dealer junk.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Binski
Racer

If the oil pressure gauge is pegged it will need a New oil pressure switch and it may be leaking down the rear of the Block. Common problem, the intake has to be pulled to get at The switch, a several hour job.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

the intake does not have to be pulled, there are youtube videos showing how to go about not pulling it .tricky but it can be done.

Get notified of new replies

To I think I found a C5

Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 PM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. The dealer has made a few repairs, such as the oil pressure unit and new brakes and rotors. I have not spoken to him since the radio was replaced or the hvac. We've been iced in, you know. Anyway, I'll take another look when the stuff gets fixed to see if we can reach a meeting of the minds. The guy has been stand up so far. We wil see. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Binski
I have a 2000 fixed roof coupe (FRC) with less miles! no paint issues! a great radio and no road rash. It is a Black on black with a z51 suspension. A Southern CA car, no rust, see ad in the forum. Price is somewhat flexible. sounds like you might be able to do better than $13 k. Good luck.
Sounds nice. Yeah I would go for this. FRC's are nice. Rare in some respects.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:55 PM
DRAFT1
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like the dealers trying to get it right. Hope this works our for you. Just asking, but have you tried CarGurus.com They have a ton of cars listed in a 200 mile radius of you that may be in your price range. Not knocking what you are looking at but there are some great, well kept, high mileage cars out there, some being one owners. What ever your decision, I wish you the best.

Quick Reply: I think I found a C5