Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
It's lot of car for that price. I'm sure every Tom, Dick and Harry on here will tell you to try to get the guy down to $20-21k...and maybe the seller will take that, who knows?

But if that is the year and color combo you want AND!!!!!... it checks out clean and is as nice as advertised, then you'll have a hard time finding one much cheaper.

Not all 35k mile cars are the same, either. That is what all the low-ballers out there try to assume. You'll have a slew of people, I'm sure, who will say, "I got a 30k mile Z06 for $20k"... yeah, fine. A garage-kept 35k mile car is going to be worth $3-4k more, IMHO, then one that sat outside, has rash on the wheels, and surface rust all over the suspension parts.

mileage is only one angle of condition

if that's a well maintained rust free car that hasn't been tracked frequently 23.5 is just fine
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Bruce954
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it's a touch high. Some of the advice from the posters above comes with the caveat that their cars have been for sale for a long time iirc, they provide different justification and perspective for larger than average payment.

Manheim prices say an excellent condition Z06, with ~45,000 miles is ~$20,200.

Black cars hide blemishes really well in pictures, you need to see it in person before paying over market value.

+if you've been searching for 6 months shouldn't you know what a good deal is by now?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce954
I would say it's a touch high. Some of the advice from the posters above comes with the caveat that their cars have been for sale for a long time iirc, they provide different justification and perspective for larger than average payment.

Black cars hide blemishes really well in pictures, you need to see it in person before paying over market value.

+if you've been searching for 6 months shouldn't you know what a good deal is by now?
Bottom line is you get what you pay for. The car in question has 35k miles, not 45k miles, so that has to be another $1000-1500. Again, we're talking $2-3k difference... which, to someone who wants an "above average" car is nothing. An original-owner car with full docs/maintenance records, and was meticulously cared for is worth the difference to an astute buyer.

Totally agree about black cars!!! Have to see that in person.

In the end, this wasn't the right car anyway. Lots of previous owners and a seller who wasn't able to answer some questions. I'd move on, too.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce954

there is no such thing as "excellent condition" at manheim

post a screen shot of what you're looking at
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Bruce954
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
there is no such thing as "excellent condition" at manheim

post a screen shot of what you're looking at
My mistake, they have Above, Average, and Below. The price I mentined was from the Above category.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it???