Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Selling a C5? Some critical info you need to actually sell your car.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 AM
n00b
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chriswilr
If I see a car I would buy (and I'm a cash buyer - no financing) I may make a fair market offer even though it is listed way above what I believe the market will bear. Like those listings for 2004 CM ZO6's Z16's) at 30-40,000. You would have to be nuts to pay those prices for a 10 year old car. Especially when a new C7 is only $52 plus, and a superior car. But Z16's are selling for 25 - 28 depending on condition ( read mileage). I'm sure the owners think it is a low ball offer, but I make it clear that I hope they can get what they are asking, but I would be interested if they can't sell it. I have an earlier year Zo6, and don't need a car, but would like one. It is not an insult to offer what I as a buyer feel is a fair price. If you don't want to take it, that's fine. Good luck. I don't feel I should be treated like I just shot your dog. Its just a car, guys. The fact that you love it, and have developed a personal relationship with it, does NOT make it worth more.
I buy cars I like, but only pay what I think is fair after research. I have no problem, if you don't like the number, with a simple no. But why try to convince me the numbers are wrong. We can all see the same figures, and its easy to see closed sales. I do have the impression many Sellers simply don't do the research, and then wonder why the forum, Autotrader, ebay and other sources can't get their car sold.
spot on
Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by n00b
pretty sure a 10% drop is reasonable especially if its out of state and sight unseen
Did you even read my post... no, you did not. I specifically said "30%"... not 10%. I would agree with you (as I did with the OP) that offering 10% below an asking price is fine. Doesn't mean it will be accepted, and you shouldn't get frustrated if it doesn't get accepted. Just move on to another car, right? I would also say that if you find a car that is everything you want, in the condition you want, then 10% difference isn't worth losing a nice car.

I've bought some used vehicles before, and plenty of new ones. Again, I understand the "game."

But when someone has "FIRM" at say $30k, and a moron offers $22k b/c "there are plenty of cars selling for this"... then the moron is a jerk buyer, who doesn't deserve to sniff the car in question.

Look... its real simple, and honestly doesn't need to be taking up space on the board. There are definitely sellers who will keep their cars for a long, long time at the price they post. We would all say they are asking too much for their car. My point is, "who cares?" What is the fuss? The fuss is b/c there are buyers who cannot afford the car at that price, but they want to poke fun at the seller (often in public), make derisive remarks, and/or bug him incessantly to drop his price. Why? Because in _reality_ the buyer wants this car bad, but "I'd never pay that for a C5 (or whatever the car is)." Again... move on. You cannot afford the car at the price point the seller is demanding. If the seller keeps the car for 10yrs b/c he is unreasonable, that's fine. He owns the commodity being sold... he holds the cards. Period.

On the flip side, there are buyers who think they absolutely have to get the best deal, and it takes them 24 months to "finally find the car of my dreams." Good for them, if that makes them feel better. But again, in all honesty, these types of people have something in common with the above-mentioned seller. They have their price point set so artificially low that it takes them forever to find the vehicle. And again... there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, except when they start complaining that "everyone thinks their car is worth more than it is." C'mon. Quit whining please. My advice would be to ante up and pay for the right car when you find it. A little more up front for the right car will pay for itself later in resale, repair cost, etc. Plus, instead of waiting more time to enjoy the vehicle, you're driving it.

And if the seller really has to sell, then offer it 5-10% below market, and it will be gone ... yesterday.

But buyers who think the seller should just cave, or don't understand when a seller says "no" when the seller makes a low ball offer... these buyers are just kicking tires.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

If I see a car I would buy (and I'm a cash buyer - no financing) I may make a fair market offer even though it is listed way above what I believe the market will bear. Like those listings for 2004 CM ZO6's Z16's) at 30-40,000. You would have to be nuts to pay those prices for a 10 year old car. Especially when a new C7 is only $52 plus, and a superior car. But Z16's are selling for 25 - 28 depending on condition ( read mileage). I'm sure the owners think it is a low ball offer, but I make it clear that I hope they can get what they are asking, but I would be interested if they can't sell it. I have an earlier year Zo6, and don't need a car, but would like one. It is not an insult to offer what I as a buyer feel is a fair price. If you don't want to take it, that's fine. Good luck. I don't feel I should be treated like I just shot your dog. Its just a car, guys. The fact that you love it, and have developed a personal relationship with it, does NOT make it worth more.
I buy cars I like, but only pay what I think is fair after research. I have no problem, if you don't like the number, with a simple no. But why try to convince me the numbers are wrong. We can all see the same figures, and its easy to see closed sales. I do have the impression many Sellers simply don't do the research, and then wonder why the forum, Autotrader, ebay and other sources can't get their car sold.
Completely understand this point. The difference b/w us would be that I wouldn't waste my _own_ time pursuing a car that is priced significantly higher than its market value. I can find another one where the price point is more in line with the market value, and go from there.

Again... what is it to the buyer if the seller doesn't understand the market and ends up not selling his car? Seriously. It's almost like the buyer is offended before the beginning of the negotiation.

It's like when I bought my '02 Z06 new. Dealers in my area (DFW) demanded $5k markup... no other offers considered. So I didn't waste my time trying to convince them otherwise. I hopped on a $110 flight and bought the car out-of-state for about $3k under sticker (dealer still made plenty of $$, and I got the car I wanted) and drove it home. Painless.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Joeslooking
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol wow what a conversation!!!! Call me crazy but I think you can list your car for what ever you want... Some people are dumb and think their car is worth a ton of money and that's their purgative those cars will stay for sale for years to come or until a dumber person pays that price which inturn strengthens the crazy idea that a 10 or 13 year old car is worth 70% of original sticker!! As far as low balling it's a pain in the *** but none the less a part of doing business. Just an example you list your car for 25k cause you spent 15k in personal touches that YOU like now you feel your 10k is worth 25k and I'm sure it is to YOU what if I like a purple c5 which you have but could careless about your 4k suspension upgrade is it wrong for me to offer your 15 which is still 5k over book? There is an *** for every seat just don't get upset when some one offers you market value on your car it's not that the don't have the money most of the time the rich stay rich for a reason.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeslooking
Lol wow what a conversation!!!! Call me crazy but I think you can list your car for what ever you want... Some people are dumb and think their car is worth a ton of money and that's their purgative those cars will stay for sale for years to come or until a dumber person pays that price which inturn strengthens the crazy idea that a 10 or 13 year old car is worth 70% of original sticker!! As far as low balling it's a pain in the *** but none the less a part of doing business. Just an example you list your car for 25k cause you spent 15k in personal touches that YOU like now you feel your 10k is worth 25k and I'm sure it is to YOU what if I like a purple c5 which you have but could careless about your 4k suspension upgrade is it wrong for me to offer your 15 which is still 5k over book? There is an *** for every seat just don't get upset when some one offers you market value on your car it's not that the don't have the money most of the time the rich stay rich for a reason.
Yeah and some guys just make offers for the sport of it when they actually have no intention of actually buying the car if the offer is accepted.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Joeslooking
Instructor

Man vega$vette what was I thinking I'm so dumb!!! I can't believe the audacity I have to think I can take more than 11 hours and 27 minutes to consider your counteroffer on 20k car!! I tell ya there must be something wrong with me... Don't think you know my intentions you don't know me from a hole in the wall!! I was thinking about buying your car all the way up until your judgmental comment .. Good luck with your sale dude try not to blow the next 1!!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 AM
badabing1
Heel & Toe

My 2 cents,Selling any car on a specific forum like a vette here ,or a rx7 on that forum can be harder to sell than on auto trader.People are extra picky ,almost to a crazy point.I also learned that if your car has a issue that needs to be fixed,dont ask a lower price that would cover the cost of the repair,just fix the car and price it higher.If you are going to mod your car,try to find one that is already done.I stick to that principle with my harleys too.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeslooking
Man vega$vette what was I thinking I'm so dumb!!! I can't believe the audacity I have to think I can take more than 11 hours and 27 minutes to consider your counteroffer on 20k car!! I tell ya there must be something wrong with me... Don't think you know my intentions you don't know me from a hole in the wall!! I was thinking about buying your car all the way up until your judgmental comment .. Good luck with your sale dude try not to blow the next 1!!
I wasn't talking about your offer.

Over the past years I have bought and sold 7 or 8 Vettes on CF.

Lately I've had several guys make an offer and say if you'll take $xxxxx I'll pick it up this weekend. Where upon accepting the offer they disappear. A simple "I've changed my mind" would be the courteous thing to do.

So on the flip side as a buyer don't make an offer if you don't intend to buy the car if your offer is accepted.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Joeslooking
Instructor

In that case vega$vette I apologize for my judgmental replie. You are 100% correct about that people should never waste people time! How ever it happens damn near 9 out of 10 offers.. Wether buying or selling everyone needs to understand you gotta put alittle work in. Those dream transactions of listing for 15k getting an offer of 14.5 and the sale goes down the same day without a hitch doesn't happen so often. Lol
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
jonebone
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think guys have to consider the overall state of the economy too...

I'm a prospective buyer, been browsing around forums for the past 3-4 weeks. My motivation is very low though, I'm one of those that will look for months and months to find a great car at the right price.

But I work as a Govt contractor and with this shutdown mess, a lot of people are cutting back on discretionary spending. Not to mention the release of the C7 which will inevitably affect C5/C6 pricing.

Cars are generally viewed as depreciating assets, so it pays to wait as a buyer. As a seller, it pays to move your car quickly (if you really need the money).

I'll get my Vette one day
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 AM
DWinTX
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with this 100%. I'm currently in the market for a C5. Usually when I'm looking for a vehicle, I start by looking at the Completed Listings on ebay in my area. I look at both sold prices and the high bid on unsold vehicles as that indicates what someone is willing to pay. I ignore classified only ads that didn't sell and auctions that received no bids, except to note that the classified price/opening bid was too high.

95% of the completed classifieds and auctions are no-sales. The ones that did sell indicate values that are way under what most asking prices that I see locally at dealerships or on CL. It's frustrating because so many ads state "no lowballing", but are you really lowballing if you're offering a price that you've seen evidence is fair? I usually don't even contact those sellers as too many of them seem personally insulted if an offer is made that seems too low for them. I don't understand that either. I've sold lots of cars too. I'm realistic with my prices as I use the same method to determine my asking price as I do when looking. I've been legitimately lowballed on a number of occasions. I don't get mad or feel insulted, I just politely, but firmly, state that I've researched the prices and I'm not interested in selling at wholesale prices. I rarely have anyone get rude or nasty over it.

I'm even reluctant to contact a seller who doesn't specifically state no lowballing if their asking price is too high, and usually don't. It's too bad because I see those cars sit there week after week, month after month. I'm a cash buyer and never contact anyone if I don't have the cash in hand and I'm ready to spend it. I'm not a lowballer, just looking for a fair price for both me and the seller. I love cars and motorcycles (I have 9 right now ), but I hate the hunting/buying process.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From my experince it is ALWAYS a buyers market, especially a car, which is never a good investment (unless its super rare). There are more than a few reasons when someone sells the car: not driving enough, money tied into it and just sitting in the garge..etc etc..So as a seller i have always had a point where i would break and just let the car go for a little cheaper than i wan to, becasue the longer you keep it for sale the more eyebrows it raises, especially from car people. I am one of those people that avoid cars that have been on sale for very long time.
As a buyer i have never had a breaking point, i would just look for weeks, months and even years until i find what i want..PERIOD. Its my money and I dont care to just spend it anywhere, I can do whatever I want with it, and it will never lose value. On the other side your toy is slowly depreciating and loosing value, which means you are losing money.
Yes most of the time I can see a really good car and fall in love with it, but if i think its overpriced and my offer gets refused I just move on with my search. I dont get mad at anyone, because i have been in that position before, and the seller will eventually come down in price IF no fish bites. So thats why I am always polite and just tell them to please let me know if they want to go lower and give them some time to think. Arguing with a seller about THEIR product and how expensive THEIR car is, will never get you anywhere. To those kind of people I usually dont let them talk anymore, just shake their hand and say, "thank you for coming to look at my car,....please move on"

Last edited by 2003Evo; 10-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM
TTC6LS3
Advanced

cool story brah
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Charleyb stated:

Don't be a D##chbg

This thread is a parody thread created to mock my "critical information" buyers guide

MY ADVICE: PICK UP THE PHONE IF YOUR GOING TO MAKE AN OFFER.

.....and don't call Veterans D.bags, it's just not classy.

Quick Reply: Selling a C5? Some critical info you need to actually sell your car.....